View Full Version : 4WD F250 On The Beach

GoFish
02-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Just picked up a 4WD F250 pickup and need some advice for the beach. It has stock all-terrain (read lousy on the beach) tires. What pressures should I run? How much harm in driving on the road for a few miles before reinflating the tires? Any other tips appreciated.

I don't want to go to a sand tire as it's primarily a road vehicle and the sand tires on my Jeep kill the road handling and gas mileage.

capesams
02-26-2007, 12:14 PM
10-18 psi. should get you around no problem as long as you don't do any hot doggin , like sharp corners to roll the tire off the rim.

same goes for the road....nice slow corners and you can for miles on end before airing up.

Swimmer
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
15 p.s.i. max and air up as soon as possble or the sidewalls of the tires will give out ealier than you'd think. I had one, I know. Went over anything though and drank gas like a sailor home on leave s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g down beer.

niko
02-26-2007, 01:28 PM
hi gf, i've got an 03 250 that spends some time on the sand. 10/11 psi and even those stock tires should be able to go anywhere. i regulary drive w/ underinflated tires to/ from the beach w/ no problems, but like the man said just take it easy. i would recomend a set of tire deflators - while everyone else is airing down you'll be heading for the beach and the fish. good luck, paul

GoFish
02-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks all. That's exactly what I needed to know. Don't plan to put in a lot of beach miles, just enough to launch my 'yak now and then when the east side is favored.

So when do the fish get back?

GF

Karl F
02-26-2007, 01:57 PM
usta run my old 250 at 10-12 psi (Load range E, or even D, have super stiff sidewalls and don't break down as well as C, or LT tires).. and no worries.. heck would even drive it back and forth to work.. air up only if I was leaving town...
It is what you are used to and aware of I guess.. been driving the beaches as long as I can remember driving, and running soft tires on the pavement too.. and never rolled a tire, or broke a bead....
slow and easy does it...
Now.. aired up, that is another story... I Fly down the road...:hihi:

GoFish
02-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Agreed. Unfortunately, I average a couple of fire and/or rescue runs a day during the summer. Once the adrenaline gets going it's probably better to have air in the tires. Can't imagine the abuse I'd get for rolling off the rims and putting it in a ditch on a rescue run...:whackin:

Rappin Mikey
02-26-2007, 02:18 PM
A general rule of thumb is to air up ASAP no matter what kind of sled you have. Driving on low tires increases the chance of getting a flat, wears out the tread about 10 times faster causing you to buy new tires, and also is brutal on gas. Tire deflators are key! Not only do they save time, your back and knees don't take a beating.

GoFish
02-26-2007, 02:30 PM
What deflators do you guys like? Did a quick search and the Staun look pretty good. Not sure I want to get into an elaborate installation. Especially out here where service is virtually non-existant if you have a problem.

niko
02-26-2007, 02:38 PM
staun works for me. put them on- air down, and take them off. so much easier then fumbling around in the dark w/ a gauge.

fishonnelsons
02-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Oasis Trailhead Deflators are good as well - set them to any pressure, screw them on and let them do the work.

niko
02-26-2007, 02:45 PM
hi nelsons, i just rented a place in truro for a week in june and another in sept. i do like your neck of the woods. sorry for hijacking, paul

MakoMike
02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
You can buy a cigarette powered compressor at Wally world for about $20. Just inflate right after you come off the beach, it'll only take about ten minutes.

Sweetwater
02-26-2007, 05:38 PM
10-13 psi PLEASE! I hate it when people don't air down properly and rut out the trails!

Jenn
02-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Usually air to 12psi. have gone as low as 7psi. (yes conditions were hairy and yes I filled in the ruts which is more than I can say for the 5 people before me:exp: ) Have driven on the pavement if needed to get to a compresser, but take it slow and easy.Never had a problem. Just use your head.

l.i.fish.in.vt
02-26-2007, 09:56 PM
i run a 03 f250 sc lb and won't go below 12lbs any more. took two tires off the rim one stormy night running at 10 psi. was told by several tire dealers that you are asking for trouble going below 15psi at least with my truck and tires.

greenrod
02-27-2007, 03:41 PM
10 - 12 psi is what i run.the tires should be fine. sand about float not traction. and i never used deflators but it sounds good.i just pull the valve core and check it every couple of second when i think it is getting close,then when it get to around 15 -18 psi i put the core in and finish deflating. good idea to have extra cores and a compresser, i never lost a core but that would wreck your day :wall: