View Full Version : Treacherous Alaskan Salmon Fishing show last night

Swimmer
02-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Watched a show last night on National Geographic (thank you Moses) after the monster fish show was over about salmon fishing at the mouth of the river/inlet where all of these aluminium boats smack into each other while trying to gil net salmon. It looked like it could get very heated. There were numerous state troopers in the area to keep the boats from fishing to far up into the inlet and to separate certain mad as hell boat captains. Did anyone else watch this show?

Moses
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
I think you confused your channels. Both shows were on 'National Geographic-HD'.

"Cowboys of the Sea" - wild show!

Three captains must battle the elements, fiery competition, and the law during the 2006 sockeye salmon commercial fishing season in Bristol Bay, Alaska. For six weeks every summer, the tranquil Naknek River mouth becomes a bustling epicenter of commercialsalmon fishing. Hundreds of fishermen come every year to stake their claims. The fishing district is small and the payoff can be huge. Captains have been known to make six figures in six weeks. One of the most competitive fishing seasons in existence.

striperman36
02-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Bristol Bay and most other salmon gillnet openings in Alaska are the same way. It's mayhem. But you can make good money in a short time.

ChiefLinesider
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
that show was insane. They all played bumper boats with eachother, cut up eachothers nets with their props & yelled for hours. Very entertaining

stripersnipr
02-27-2007, 12:06 PM
It seems to be regulations run amok. There has to be a better way to allocate that fishery without jeopardizing the lives of every fisherman out there trying to make a living for those weeks.

Swimmer
02-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Yup, National Geo. your right. Obvious confusion on my part, hey I'm 56.

Imagine what would go on without the troopers. They'd be shooting at each other from dawn to dusk.

Bronko
02-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I think you confused your channels. Both shows were on 'National Geographic-HD'.

"Cowboys of the Sea" - wild show!

Three captains must battle the elements, fiery competition, and the law during the 2006 sockeye salmon commercial fishing season in Bristol Bay, Alaska. For six weeks every summer, the tranquil Naknek River mouth becomes a bustling epicenter of commercialsalmon fishing. Hundreds of fishermen come every year to stake their claims. The fishing district is small and the payoff can be huge. Captains have been known to make six figures in six weeks. One of the most competitive fishing seasons in existence.

I saw that. That was insane. Can you imagine the insurance claims PER DAY out there??? It appeared to be 50-100 boats operating in an area no bigger than a couple football fields. They were hitting each other, running over gear, shouting at each other, running aground, tangling gear.... I was captivated by the insanity.:err: Looked like the Race on a beautiful Saturday in late July. :laugha:

snake slinger
02-27-2007, 07:37 PM
that was wild its a wonder nobody gets shot