View Full Version : Best Braid-Lines-Read This

fcap60
03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
From another "undisclosed" site

"At my local tackle shop, one of the workers did a little test between 50 PP and Suffix last week. He held a section of each taught from off the bulk spool and rubbed the edge of his braid cutting scissors back and forth against each until the lines broke. After 3 passes the Power Pro broke. The Suffix took 17 passes before it let go. Out of interest, he also did the same test with some Ande Backcountry 12 lb. mono. The Ande took over 30 passes of the scissor blade against the line till it broke."

This is exactly why I use Ande Backcounty in the rocks and I got the tip from #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and Capt. Jim White.

Thanks guys

Frank

Steve K
03-01-2007, 01:05 PM
No more braid for me in the rocks only mono. I don't understand it when I read or hear on some show that braid is more abbrasion resistant than mono.

reelecstasy
03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
I like braid, and use it almost exclusively. If i am around the rocks, I tie on a 10' leader.. Now that i am used to fishing braid it is hard to get a feel for a plug with mono...

Capt.Dave
03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
The test sounds interesting, but it seems to me lacking in controls.

PP and Sufix #50 should be about the same diameter as 12# mono

How many pounds pull tention were put on the line. what if you want to put the brakes on a fish so it can't reach the rocks? What happens to the mono if you put a 20# drag on it.

There are a lot of variables and I believe braid comes out ahead in most of them.

JFigliuolo
03-01-2007, 03:34 PM
I LOVE Braid. It IS inferior in rocks. Pick your poison...

wheresmy50
03-01-2007, 03:38 PM
What JF said. I bought a VS 250 this winter just for it's mono capacity to weight ratio.

3 versus 17 is still significant, much more so than 17/30

luds
03-01-2007, 03:45 PM

word up son.:humpty:

Rockport24
03-01-2007, 04:29 PM
I tried braid and broke off a few in the rocks and gave it the boot, never had any issues with mono.
" pick your poison" is a good point, both have their drawbacks.
What about lines like yozuri hybrid?

Mike P
03-01-2007, 05:09 PM
PP and Sufix #50 should be about the same diameter as 12# mono

They're not. More like 15-17# mono. The published "mono equivalency" of most braids is right up there with the typical bait and switch car dealer's ad in pure BS.

The proof is in how many yards you can get on a reel that has a known capacity for mono. Except for the original Whiplash by Berkley, I've never found any brand of braid that's as thin as advertised :huh:

Good example. An Abu 7000 has a known capacity of around 300 yards of 20# mono. 65# Sufix and PP both claim to have 16# mono equivalency. Try getting a full 300 yard spool of either on an Abu 7000 :hs:

Nebe
03-01-2007, 05:17 PM

I bet you havent tried cortland master braid. I use 60b test and have had bass try to do nasty things to me with no avail.

to each his own i guess.

GattaFish
03-01-2007, 06:05 PM
IMHO it really depends on where your fishing and what you are used too.. I like to change line often and have used braid and mono on my VS,,,, I personally have had my best luck with Big Game. I have a spool of Yozuri Hybrid and was never impressed so after all the extra money and trial and error I went back to what I know works for the surf... Big Game,,

Mike P
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I bet you havent tried cortland master braid.

That stuff'll saw thru rocks :eek5:

The problem is, it'll turn your thumb to hamburger if you try it on a non-levelwind conventional.

piemma
03-02-2007, 04:28 AM
I bet you havent tried cortland master braid. I use 60b test and have had bass try to do nasty things to me with no avail.

to each his own i guess.

I put that stuff on 2 Shimano 400s last year. Best braided line I ever used. I still hold with Ande Back Country for my spinning reels though.

vanstaal
03-02-2007, 06:02 AM
I use 60b test and have had bass try to do nasty things to me with no avail.
Ditto :bl: :bl: :bl:

vanstaal
03-02-2007, 06:03 AM

to each his own i guess. :bl: ditto

NIB
03-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Oh Yea...
Bring out the Gimp!

JohnR
03-02-2007, 06:46 AM
So who wants to do the test :bl: ? Tomorrow's TFCTFN entertainment, braid mono toe clipper abrasion test...

Seriously - this does look worthy of a repeat and as said - some controls would be nice. How would one measure than apply consistant pressure time in and again?

JFigliuolo
03-02-2007, 07:30 AM

to each his own i guess.

I looked at it... Not too good for spinners or so all the reports have said.

Nebe
03-02-2007, 08:39 AM
I looked at it... Not too good for spinners or so all the reports have said.

you may be able to get away with 40 lb with a spinner...

ive never tried it.

Fireline is my favorite for spinners

zimmy
03-02-2007, 10:53 AM
What is this cortland master braid? Is it similar to spectron? I just got myself a spool of spectron for my 7000cl that I use in the canal. I have a long running battle with an abutment that kicks my axx. I think it was saltheart that said the spectron is rather abrasion resistant for braid. I don't think I can go back to mono for that kind of jigging, but I don't know what I'll do if it keeps happening to me :devil2: .

Mike P
03-02-2007, 11:23 AM
What is this cortland master braid? Is it similar to spectron? I just got myself a spool of spectron for my 7000cl that I use in the canal. I have a long running battle with an abutment that kicks my axx. I think it was saltheart that said the spectron is rather abrasion resistant for braid. I don't think I can go back to mono for that kind of jigging, but I don't know what I'll do if it keeps happening to me :devil2: .

Master Braid is basically the same as Spectron--maybe a tad rounder. Same diameter, same rough finish. It comes in both ice blue and yellow instead of green and "salt & pepper" like Spectron.

John--I'm thinking to control tension, you could hang what's left on a filler spool off a fly tying bobbin, hold the other end and work it over a blade. Lots of people probably have a few yards left over on a 300 yard spool after filling a reel.

Rockport24
03-02-2007, 11:27 AM
you could get a scale and measure the tension and just keep it constant for each test.

Fishpart
03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I'll build a gallows and bring a 3 pound scuba weight.

Who has the cutter and what line will we use?

GattaFish
03-02-2007, 01:48 PM
The scuba weight sounds good for constant tension maybe something more than 3 pounds,,,,,,, what about using sand paper as one test or putting a concrete block on the edge of a table and lifting a weight from the floor while the line is dragging across the block... Maybe someone can post pictures and stats on the results.....

Mike P
03-02-2007, 02:38 PM
I'll see what I have laying around the basement. Problem is, various weights.

I know I have some leftover Cortland Master Braid in 50#. And I might have some remnants of 50# Spectron, too.

Have some 40# Stren in the Jeep somewhere.

I have half a spool of Sufix 65.

I'm pretty sure I have a few yards leftover from a 1100 spool of Big Game 50, too.

I don't think I have any leftover Fireline.

Fishpart
03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Have a rig built, will bring several weights up to about 12 pounds so we can see what works. Paper and pen....

EricM
03-04-2007, 01:12 PM
I've been meaning to test fireline- I read an article where they described 20lb fireline as breaking at 50+lbs, but a tackle shop guy who spools up reels for a living dismissed that as hogwash...called fireline junk...advanced salesmanship or the truth? Bring on the weights, its time to test.

Mike P
03-04-2007, 02:23 PM
As best as I can remember, here's the results of Fishpart's tests last night. Bearing in mind that one run-through really isn't conclusive of anything.

Fireline 30 measured .0165" in diameter and took 4 passes over the sharp blade to break.

Big Game 65 measured .0155" and also took 4 passes.

Miracle Braid 50 measured the thickest at .0195" and took 4 passes.

Spectron 50 measured .0185" and only took 2 passes.

Stren Superbraid 40# was the thinnest at .0135" but also broke in 2 passes.

This test wasn't designed really to test pure breaking strength, but more resistance to abrasion.

Eric, Fireline 20 does indeed break at over 50# and isn't junk. It's probabpy the single most used braid on all of Long Island. Your tackle shop guy is talking thru his hat :rollem:

zimmy
03-05-2007, 09:31 AM
As best as I can remember, here's the results of Fishpart's tests last night. Bearing in mind that one run-through really isn't conclusive of anything.

Spectron 50 measured .0185" and only took 2 passes.

This test wasn't designed really to test pure breaking strength, but more resistance to abrasion.

Anyone want to buy an unopened spool of spectron 50? :hs:

fcap60
03-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Did anyone test Monos ?

I was hoping for more Ande Backcounry wins :bl:

Fishpart
03-05-2007, 04:09 PM
No Mono'sshowed up. I have some 20 big game and will sacrifice some 20 back country off my reel..

EricM
03-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks Mike P for the confirmation on that. I thought he was full of it too but I try to keep an open mind, thinking that maybe as he is in the industry he knows something about quality control at berkeley recently that I didn't know... plus I got a bad spool of it last fall so I was wondering if there was any link. I guess I'll just send the bad fireline back to the company and ask for an explanation + a new spool...

pmueller
03-05-2007, 05:41 PM
use bank sinkers. thats what the guys from suffix used in their demo, the line was up against a piece of sheet metal. on hte other end someone or something pulls the line.

So who wants to do the test :bl: ? Tomorrow's TFCTFN entertainment, braid mono toe clipper abrasion test...

Seriously - this does look worthy of a repeat and as said - some controls would be nice. How would one measure than apply consistant pressure time in and again?

fcap60
03-05-2007, 06:54 PM
OK- Wedn night. I will do a test with braids and monos at the Connecticut Surfcasters monthly meeting.

thanks