View Full Version : Crustaceous Maximus Theory

BassDawg
03-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Besides the obvious reason of fiscal irresponsibility, why have we stopped chunkin' wit lobsters, when targeting Trophy Stripers?

Do we really know how big the biggest surfcaught bass can be iffin we don't fish bugs anymore? Seems like between 50#-60# is max these days for an eel caught bass.

How many gullets did ya see last year that were filled with bugs?
Too many, imho, to not either "chunk, like back at the Hunk" or to design a lobster imitator that more closely resembles a head, tail, lobster young.............ya know sumpin' weighted, holographic, scented, soft plastiques..................something better than just using a burgundy feathered jig. Look how well the Wild Eyes by STORM are doing. Certainly, they'd be capable of a bigger more anatomical jig than the lead head?

BIG BAIT = BIG BASS
How do we know they ain't a sheet load of BIG, BIG arse COWGURLS out there just waitng for us to man-up and toss them what they really crave......................
LOBSTER, the crustacean above all crustaceans, the bait above all baits, perhaps the one artificial above all others ~that is, if it ever gets made!!!!

Yet, here we are on the cusp of a three year window for some of the biggest yearmates of the past 20 years....................And, are we still gonna throw them the same old same old; some wood, some soft and hard plasctics, some steel, some tired old meat they've seen for years and keep landing the same size 50# to 60# max..................Or are we gonna shake it up a leetle? Just cuz we've stopped fishing with bugs, doesn't mean our beloved prey has stopped eating them; on the contrary, maybe they're inhaling them more frequently and with less reservation as there haven't been any hooks attached to them for over a hundred years?

Am definitely going to employ a more buggish approach this year in some of the biggest water I know, ie the places where the COWHUNNAHS lay low.

What say you, gents?
I mean if people are gonna spend $1500 for a reel, why not $30 a night on bait?:huh: :huh:

fishermanjim
03-02-2007, 03:56 PM
last year i went on a dive up in rockport,,, we saw this striper following us around,,, like a dog waiting for someone to play with him,,, i picked up a small bug, tossed it up in the water column,,, the striper rushed passed me, grabbed the bug and it was gone just like that,,,all i thought was striper bait

JohnR
03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Not sure how legal it would be but it was one of THE ways the old, old, old timers did it....

Backbeach Jake
03-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Those old fishing stands on the Islands, Hook the tail, break up and chum with the rest. There musta been lobstahs everywhere!

CAL
03-02-2007, 10:19 PM
I caught a small lobster, no more than 5 inches or so, either last year or the year before on a Hab's needle. I was really tempted to leave it on there and keep casting.

Here's some lobster rubber.

BassDawg
03-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Yo, CAL!

LOVE that lure!!!:claps: :claps: :claps:
Do ya know where I can git me mits on about 1,000 of them?:hf1:
Okay, okay just 10 to start with!

That looks beeeeeeeeeeee ute tttttttttttttttt fullllll!!!
Please pm me with the details.

GattaFish
03-02-2007, 11:54 PM
I saw a rubber lure kinda like that for the first time last year,,,, It was made by some guy in Mass and thought to myself holy crap,,, in the right place that thing would be deadly,,,,,, but never knew who made it,,,

Striperhound
03-03-2007, 07:53 AM
In June when I had my 39.45 fish and 4 others in the low 30's they all had a lobster hanging out of thier mouth when caught. The 39.45 had 3 1- 1.5 lb lobsters in its gut. Just think when you have extra bait you can boil it up and eat it, cant do that with bunker.

Christian
03-03-2007, 07:48 PM
7/0 treble and super glue. thats what ive heard anyways.

if they are legal size there is no reason why you cant. having a permit will probly also help, in the getting of the lobsters, and incase you've got environmentals bothering you. this spring im going to try a couple down 200ft in a nice rocky spot, wolffish.

Christian
03-03-2007, 07:52 PM
i forget where i got this. never fished it.

BassDawg
03-03-2007, 10:21 PM
That's not too bad, Christian. Did ya see the one a couple of posts above yours? Now that looks lethal. Would love to have a sheet load of those beauties..................

What gives CAL, can ya steer me in the right direction for the maker of those sweet lobster rubbers?? Hopefully some of them with tha hooks already in them!!:drool: :drool: :drool:

CAL
03-03-2007, 11:12 PM
That's not mine. Never seen one in person, just on the 'net.

The Dad Fisherman
03-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Lobstah Wood....

GattaFish
03-04-2007, 01:03 AM
SHEEEEEEIIIITTT...........TDF … did you make that?????,,, it is unbelievable......That is one of the nicest plugs I have seen in a long time,,,,,

SurffishNJ
03-04-2007, 01:06 AM
The one in Cal's post you can only find rarely anymore. There were called Clobsters and were made by Steve Petri of the Petri Fish Tackle company. They guy Steve sold the rights and the molds for both the flounder and the lobster hasn't made a lure.

If I'd have know that I'd have bought them. I still have several of each and love them. But not as much as the Bass do.

Oh yea the weighted hook dose come in them if you can find them ................

piemma
03-04-2007, 07:06 AM
I believe that it is illegal to use lobsters for bait in RI

EricM
03-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Wouldn't a black jig with a black and red porkstrip do just fine to imitate a small lobster- the freshwater guys use the pig and jig to imitate crayfish so upsize a bit for the salt and you gotta lobsta

BassDawg
03-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Eric M, you are correct sir!

But, my earlier and bigger point is this:

BIG BAIT= BIG BASS

No matter how big a jig wit pig you want to work, can they ever really more closely resemble say a shedder, or a nice fat juicy whole lobster that some big arse 60# - 80# COW is waiting to inhale?
Thus, the Crustaceous Maximus Theory; since we no longer throw bugs ~rubber or real~, do we truly know how big the biggest MOMMAS are that are marauding our lobster fields uncontestedly?

Just wonderin'................cuz we know that they are still mawin' down on the crustacean above all other crustaceans. After a certain age, and more importantly SIZE, do some of our BIGGEST of the bigs hunt lobbies almost exclusively?? From their perspective of nutrition, flavor, and the most bang for their energy spent buck cruising the bottoms for the languishing lobsters seems to make perfectly good "feesh sense." Ah but that is the fun of conjecture and tryin' to git inside the mind of our esteemed Stripers......................

Won't be long now, gents!!!!
Gonna test me CMThoery somehow and some various ways this season, along with the tried and true methods, of course!

EricM
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I've seen some pretty big guys sit down and each french fries...lots of them...if presented right I think that a super-cow would be more than happy to crunch an imitation lobster- its an unusual offering, maybe...but are you suggesting a theory that the big bassss are there, but we don't catch them very often because they are primarily eating lobster? Its a thought. I like lobster. A lot. But I don't want to eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner. Anthropomorphising super-cows? I guess i am, and will now defer to the more senior members of this board that have greater insight in these matters as a result of fishing longer and harder for many many more moons than I.

Goose
03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Imo the lobster for bait theory seems impractical. Big bait does eqaul bigger fish so why not just use the biggest eels you can find or bigger scup, pogies macks ect.? Where you put those offerings is often more important. I watched an awsome show about lobsters filmed in Maine, as the lobster fisherman threw the shorts over an underwater diver filmed the lobster desended, what looked like 20# bass where picking them off half way down. I think if you where to throw lobsters in most fishing spots you'ld get the same results.
Those guys on Cutty waaay back where proably great fisherman but did they have the resources we have now? If they had a method of keeping 100's of eels or fresh supply of pogies I gota beleive they would have not made lobster the bait of choice. Imo they're #'ers back then would have been greater. If you read some of the old logs like the ones of ''3 sister's'', those #'ers where good but all things considered I thought they would have been better.

EricM
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Goose, good point. I was also surprised that they didn't score bigger fish off of cutty back in the good old days. If Bass stand+ chumboy+ lobster did not equal 100lb bass back then, its a good question as to why it would make it so now...

And what was the show on Maine Lobsters? Sounds interesting, would like to check it out.

BassDawg
03-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Thank You, gentlemen, one and all, for your educated and varied comments. Still believe that there is something more to the fact that the bigger Bass we catch in this era have their bellies full of 1.5-2.5 Lobs, and those are just the 40#-50#ers that we've caught, what about the ones we haven't landed, nor didn't the Cutty Club land either?

Do we really know the max size potential that could be landed from the surf? And if so how big, potentionally, is the biggest of the BIGS? Some 3rd and 4th generation anglahs round Beverley/Salem seem to think that the next World Record will be taken just N of Boston Harbor and could tip the scales at close to 100#'s. Definitely sumpin' to shoot for! Hell, I'd be more than happy with a coupla fiddies, but then again once you hit that level, the only level left is IGFA........baby!!