View Full Version : Govt. Owes Me Money?

BigFish
03-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Found my name listed in the Globe yesterday as having some unclaimed money/property!:happy: Call the number of the office for the State in charge of unclaimed goodies and come to find out I have an old savings account with $600.00 in it!:kewl: Sweet!!!

Its funny though....if I owed the Govt. money, they would have absolutely no problem tracking me down to collect! Turn the tables though and man....its like I must have dropped off the face of the planet!!!:rolleyes: Guess they just love when it goes unclaimed!!! They get to keep it!!:tooth:

ScottB
03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
:jump: Good for you! I check once in a while but nothing yet. For anyone interested, below is the link to the Comm of Mass Abondoned Property Division if you want to see if they're holding onto anything that belongs to you.

http://abpweb.tre.state.ma.us/abp/abp.htm

Scott B.

mikecc
03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Most likely a scam .
When you show up they are going to lock u up.:jester:

chris L
03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
larry
how do you forget about 600 in an account ? can I have it since you dont seem to need it . LOL

yup now if it was me I would be worried that they would lock me up .

jim sylvester
03-05-2007, 04:16 PM
and here I am rolling my change to get a bigfish pencil:uhoh:

Katie
03-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Scam or not a scam? cause my mom's name is coming up, and says over $100 bucks... What was the number Larry? Mom would rather call then trusting that site.

BigFish
03-05-2007, 05:31 PM
I do not recall having the account though it may be something I started as a savings for my sons! Believe me.....it has been over 12 years since I had an account at this particular bank....there was not much in there to begin with I know because I would not have forgotten about it! At the time I seperated.....I was flat broke!:smash:

Katie...check your pms!

sok
03-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Doesn't look like a scam to me.
MA dept of treasury website.
My name is on the list too.
Even with a legitimate claim with my luck they'll lock me up anyway.
Just out of habit.

BigFish
03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Its not a scam....I did a search and it gave me the State Website. Its legit! The names were listed in a special section of yesterdays Globe....they run this periodically.

FishermanTim
03-05-2007, 05:52 PM
I used to handle that function at an old job years ago.
The good thing is that any "abandoned property" consisting of bank accounts or mutual funds will have been earning interest over the years. The bad thing is that if you don't submit a claim and the property remains "abandoned", then it belongs to the state.
Do you remember about a year or so ago when the state had an auction for abandoned properties such as coins, jewelry etc...?
I was always amazed that people could forget bank accounts and mutual fund accounts thatat the time were valued in thousands.

My funniest story was about a lady that found some old mutual fund dividend checks/statements her father had hid behind and old picture hanging on the wall. It turned out he had not cashed thousands of dollars worth of dividend checks, and could have easily lost the funds had the daughter not knocked the picture off the wall.

vineyardblues
03-05-2007, 09:44 PM
BF, no scam
I got 800.00 from my dad who passed 20 + years ago. Just had to wait for the check
VB

striperman36
03-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Is there a website for the information?

sok
03-05-2007, 10:16 PM
http://abpweb.tre.state.ma.us/abp/abp.htm

ScottB
03-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Most likely a scam .
When you show up they are going to lock u up.:jester:

:wave: No scam, I told a friend of mine that her name showed up and she recieved $300+ that turned out to be a credit on an old Jordan Marsh (or some dept store) credit card account.

Now, if you really have some reason to be worried that they are looking for you, that's another story.:eyes:

sok
03-05-2007, 11:13 PM
:wave: No scam, I told a friend of mine that her name showed up and she recieved $300+ that turned out to be a credit on an old Jordan Marsh (or some dept store) credit card account.

Now, if you really have some reason to be worried that they are looking for you, that's another story.:eyes:

Why would I have any reason to be worried?
I refuse to answer any further questions until I contact my attorney.
I know my rights and I'm not going to tell anyone a f...... thing.
And in just in case anyone asks?

I was never here....................................

(Back under my rock.)

ScottB
03-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Why would I have any reason to be worried?
I refuse to answer any further questions until I contact my attorney.
I know my rights and I'm not going to tell anyone a f...... thing.
And in just in case anyone asks?

I was never here....................................

(Back under my rock.)

:smash: John R needs to tighten up on the membership standards. Maybe as part of the user agreement, a certification that your not wanted by a government agency of the United States or its' territories.:biglaugh:

Saltheart
03-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Yep , RI just grabbed $16 from my mother from an account that had no activity for a long time. hard to believe they are allowed to just grab your money like that. Not that $16 is any big deal but its the principle that thay can just grab your bank account if you just let the money sit there.

weird.

Surfcastinglife
03-06-2007, 11:05 AM
my name shows up but the town doesn't match :D

Young Salt
03-06-2007, 11:15 AM
what are you going to spend the money on larry?

sok
03-07-2007, 08:14 PM
:smash: John R needs to tighten up on the membership standards. Maybe as part of the user agreement, a certification that your not wanted by a government agency of the United States or its' territories.:biglaugh:

Three years of lurking should grandfather me against a backround check right? :hee:
Admit nothing; deny everything!