View Full Version : Router help

fishaholic18
03-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Trying to hook up a wireless router on my Dads PC so he can use his laptop wireless. He has Bellsouth (he's in Florida) using a Westell c90-610030-06 DSL modem. The router is a linksys wrt54gs wireless router. I hooked the router ethernet cable from the DSL modem to the ethernet port of the router then from the #1 port of the router to the pc and I can't get internet. Shouldn't it work when hard wired?

MrHunters
03-05-2007, 09:36 PM
this is a hard one to explain.

the dsl modem is also acting as a router/dhcp server... you need to go into the dsl modem configuration and switch it to bridged mode. once thats done then the linksys can act like it should ... you need to enter your PPPOE user info in your linksys.... right now if you go into the linksys setting im willing to bet under the status page your external ip address is a 192.168.x.x number. or 10.0.x.x or a 172.x.x.x

Couple ways you can go about figuring this out.... go to the website of the ISP and see if they have a knowledge base article on setting up dsl with a linksys router. or you can call them... im sure MANY people have this setup and is probably the most common question they get asked.

if you hook the computer directly up to the dsl modem do you get the internet?

fishaholic18
03-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanx MH, a little over my head but I'm gonna go on Bellsouth and see what I can come up with.

MrHunters
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
believe me... its was confusing for me too and i have to know this stuff.

i wouldnt spend too much time looking around their site.... im sure a bellsouth guy or gal can step you through it... thats what i had to do the first time with verizon.

i think it was on a westell too... too bad they didnt send you the wireless/dsl modem... that would have made your life a bit easier.

fishaholic18
03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
believe me... its was confusing for me too and i have to know this stuff.

i wouldnt spend too much time looking around their site.... im sure a bellsouth guy or gal can step you through it... thats what i had to do the first time with verizon.

i think it was on a westell too... too bad they didnt send you the wireless/dsl modem... that would have made your life a bit easier.
Thanx for the help, allset. A few hours on the phone with Bellsouth to bridge the modem and Lynksys to set up the router is what it took.

MrHunters
03-07-2007, 03:18 PM
yep... lot easier to explain when you see it in front of you...

glad your pops has some intraweb