View Full Version : Boat vs. Beach fishing

daceman63
03-07-2007, 09:10 AM
is there a poll on this out here? If not can one be started? Thought is might be fun.

Goose
03-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Boat is a four letter word beach isn't.:hee:

Saltheart
03-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Boat fishing is what surf fisherman do after their legs get tired. can't immagine why someone with strong legs would want to fish from a boat. :)

daceman63
03-07-2007, 09:53 AM
ok...so I see that if you fish and are on here then you are either a hard core boat fisherman or a hard core surf fisherman. But do we know how many of each....

I do both.....my boating is basically done on the bayside of the cape with an excursion or two around the point (race point) depending on the boat we're on or I fish up here in Boston.

My surf fishing is done on the various beaches on the cape and in the past have taken my trucks onto race.

I'm not partial to either, but what I do require is that if I'm near the water I get a line in be it from a boat or the beach.

ProfessorM
03-07-2007, 10:08 AM
I like both, each is a different experience in there own. Different tactics. Different fun. My legs are tired.

MrHunters
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
boy do i got some tired legs.

used to primarily surf fish, now its probably 70/30 going to the boat.

I tend to get antsy sitting in one place for too long.

Al in Westport
03-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi Daceman,

I am now boat fishing. After 20+ years away from fishing I got going again surf fishing. It wasn’t long before I realized my stamina and legs weren’t what they used to be when I was a young pup. So to steal a phrase I have seen on this board...”Why walk to the fish when you can float to them”. I stare at my tin boat with that nice shrink cover, I can’t wait to take the knife to it.

Al

crash
03-07-2007, 11:09 AM
I do both, lack of surf access causes me to use the skiff more. Probably 75% boat.

daceman63
03-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi Daceman,

I am now boat fishing. After 20+ years away from fishing I got going again surf fishing. It wasn’t long before I realized my stamina and legs weren’t what they used to be when I was a young pup. So to steal a phrase I have seen on this board...”Why walk to the fish when you can float to them”. I stare at my tin boat with that nice shrink cover, I can’t wait to take the knife to it.

Al

Hi Al in Westport,

Nice to meet you.

When I striper fish from the beach I put a couple of lines oout with either sand eels or mackeral chunk or clams. I sit in my beach chair and check the bait every once in a while. When the blues are running and hitting close to shore I'm chasing them up and down the beach like a nut. lol

When I boat fish one of us is usually plugging off the bow while we slowly troll the lead deep if in Boston. Down the cape we jig the bottom for the stripers or chase the blues around on top.

The only physical ailment I have is that I busted my knee a few years back so it bothers me a bit tracking through the sand or rocking in the boat all day. But a few beers later in the eveing seems to make it all better. lol

I've been tempted to cut the wrap off but I have a door so I've slowly been loading the gear...:hee:

Mark

capecodder
03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
I prefer the beach, but the boat is more suited to my family situation. I love the Cape beaches in the dark of the night and early morning, nothing is better than false dawn at the Race, tight to a bass. However, with 3 kids under 6 it is tough to burn the candle on both ends.

With the boat, I can take my boy while the little girls nap in the afternoon... Oddly my wife would prefer that I go fishing from 6am to 11am on saturday morning, than fish the night before and sleep in...

So I have become a boat guy who loves the beach... They are far more different than I realized but each good in its own right.

Just can't help thinking of sunrise at the Race...

daceman63
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
When I was younger we fished the race over night quite a bit. I have a 5 and 3 year old so I know what you mean about the boat making an easier situation. But I take them with me when I fish the bayside. They love it and even though I don't catch much it's fun to see the anticipation on their faces.

I'm making a run to Wellfleet on Saturday to check out my summer rental and to poke around a bit. If the Bookstore is open I'll look to satop in for lunch.

numbskull
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Boat by day, beach by night. A boat will get you to better beach fishing than a car, as well.

tattoobob
03-07-2007, 05:14 PM
I love to fish the rocks and sand but hate crowds, so 1/2 way thru spring and most of the summer I am using my boat, then after labor day the boat goes away.

daceman63
03-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't like the crowds either. But I tolerate them for the kids. We do the beach for the day and towards evening I run to the bait sho....the wife hangs with me a bit with the girls and we fish a little bit afte the most of the beachgoers leave and everyone is out of the water....then she leaves with them and I'm left with my gear and a beach chair. More guys show up when it gets darker. I usually do my best in the middle if the night. So I try my luck a little while she takes the girls to dinner then they pick me up and I grab a nap and try to fish 2 before and 2 after the high.

That's only when I'm down the cape. If I'm on vacation my buddy and I will hit the ocean beaches at night.

BigFish
03-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Boat? We don't need no stinkin' boat!!!:laugha:

tattoobob
03-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I don't like the crowds either. But I tolerate them for the kids. We do the beach for the day and towards evening I run to the bait sho....the wife hangs with me a bit with the girls and we fish a little bit afte the most of the beachgoers leave and everyone is out of the water....then she leaves with them and I'm left with my gear and a beach chair. More guys show up when it gets darker. I usually do my best in the middle if the night. So I try my luck a little while she takes the girls to dinner then they pick me up and I grab a nap and try to fish 2 before and 2 after the high.

That's only when I'm down the cape. If I'm on vacation my buddy and I will hit the ocean beaches at night.

Oh I thought you meant night time, I am by the pool sipping ice tea and working on my tan in the daylight.

Raider Ronnie
03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Both boat and surf fishing are good !
A boat is a vehicle to get you to where the fish are!
Surf fishing cost a LOT less $$$

riverrat2
03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I like to catch big fish, whether it be from boat or surf. I would rather be catching large of the beach though

fishaholic18
03-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Boat :btu:

EricM
03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
If I had a boat, I'd fish out of it for sure- but there are some places a boat just won't go, and that is usually worth the walk

jimmy z
03-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Boats? I don't need no stinkin' boats!:D

snake slinger
03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
boats:yak6:

Surfpirate
03-07-2007, 07:33 PM
on a full moon you will find me in a boat.

you can look for me on the the beach during the New moon.

mosholu
03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I do both but I am much more excited catching a fish from the surf on a lure than a catch made when jigging or drifting on the boat.

2na
03-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I believe it was the late great George Carlezon who told me the beach saying was "I'd rather my sister in a whorehouse than a friend in a boat".

MrHunters
03-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I believe it was the late great George Carlezon who told me the beach saying was "I'd rather my sister in a whorehouse than a friend in a boat".

that allota hate right there. :doh:

Flaptail
03-08-2007, 10:56 AM
To live on The New England coast and take advantage of all the finer things in Striper Fishing you need two legs, a 4 wheel drive with beach permits and a boat of suitable size to fit your need.

I was blessed with two long legs that are still in good shape, I have a great little buggy for the beach and a 37 year old skiff that sees more bass come over it's rail than most any boat of similar size on the coast.

I love to surfcast, it's my most favorite method to take Striped Bass but I am not a fool and would never limit myself to one methodology over another and go fishless for the effort while just offshore there are countless bass for the taking.:uhuh:

saltfly
03-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Ironicly I was just looking at the Sandy Neck regs. and we can still trailer a boat out on the beach.I figured with all the other b/s thats happened there over the years that that would have been killed years ago.Personally da beach is the way but access is going to be the driving force on which will be used this year the "16 tin or the yak" will get their share.Waders will still be the "uniform of the day".

Rappin Mikey
03-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Don't hate on Pt Mike. I'm sure GC said that if Mikey is quoting him. As PM did a lot of fishing with him. What's up Mike? we'll be slayin them soon!!!:devil: :devil: