View Full Version : Fresh Water Fix???

nightfighter
03-07-2007, 01:04 PM
I am jonseing to fish... At least two months before Schoolies start to show, so...short of drilling a hole in some ice, what do you folks do for a pre-season fix? With the prevalence of fresh water fishing shows, I figure to get a license and hit some local ponds and lakes for bass, perch, or what? Not looking to start a fresh water forum, just need some ideas from the experience you may have. Should be able to use some light tackle and lures for this, as I don't need to make another investment. This would be just to get me through til "they" return.... If you know of spots to target local to me, I would appreciate a PM.
Thanks.

The Dad Fisherman
03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately you are going to have to drill a hole in some ice right now....this cold weather isn't melting any.

I might be going out locally and doing some Ice-Fishing this weekend if you are interested...I'll keep you posted. some great places up around my area.

another couple of weeks and they should start stocking trout around here.

Clogston29
03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
you could go looking for sea run browns. I don't know much about them but there are supposed to be some in the northshore rivers - I'm curious about these guys myself.

i'm heading to aruba friday and my travel rod is packed and ready to go or I'd probably be up for some exploring with you this weekend.

or you could take the kayak down to a certain dam north of boston and jig up some holdovers.

BigBo
03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Head to the Dam.:hidin:

Adamfishes
03-07-2007, 03:07 PM
This wasn't that far from some damn dam

tattoobob
03-07-2007, 05:10 PM
As soon as Ice melts, I go for stocked trout

Rockport24
03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
yeah nightfighter, I hear ya man! I'm getting very antsy myself.
I used to try for holdovers, but to tell you the truth, I feel like holdovers are kind of a crapshoot(although certain kayak guys do very well with holdovers). Plus, the holdover spots around metro-boston aren't exactly a nice nature experience. The trout stocking is only a few weeks away really. Besides that you can try for largemouth bass and pickeral in a few spots around here.

sok
03-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Not exactly a nice nature experience?
I would think that the USCG and MA State Police with the the loaded M-60's AND AUTOMATIC RIFLES would detract from the holdover fishing experience more than just the scenery.
The Habah isn't exactly the most aesthetically pleasing fishing trip to begin with.

Still works though.

Christian
03-08-2007, 12:09 AM
im probly going to do some ice fishing tommorow
the dam i fish for holdovers is a little on the icy side, the productive side of it anyways, once that thaws i'll be over there plenty.
then i'll do my trout/salmon thing.

dont let floating condoms ruin the experience.