View Full Version : Bottom Paint

blaruffa
03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Have any of you used bottom paint from ePaint in Falmouth?
I am looking at if for my SeaPro. The boat is kept in Falmouth Harbor. I am thinking of going that way beacuse you can get white, so the boat doesn't look like it is painted, plus the fact that it is better for the enviornment.

foulhook
03-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Have any of you used bottom paint from ePaint in Falmouth?
I am looking at if for my SeaPro. The boat is kept in Falmouth Harbor. I am thinking of going that way beacuse you can get white, so the boat doesn't look like it is painted, plus the fact that it is better for the enviornment.

Don't try to disguise the bottom paint. In my years in the marine industry I find that picking the second most used color on your boat will be the best color. For example most white fiberglass boats have black rubrail and trim..Black bottom paint looks best. The white will most likely not be an exact match to your boat color and even if it does it will change in time differently that the gelcoat...JMO

Tight lines, FH

keeperreaper
03-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Color doesnt matter one way or the other. It doesnt have any bearing on catching either. If you are concerned about looks go with black if your rub rails are black but I personally cant see the below water portion of the hull while I'm running the boat.:usd: If that company is environmentally friendly and you want to support a local company then use it. It is decent stuff and will do the trick. Just remember the fish could care less what color your hull paint is.

blaruffa
03-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the input. I am going to give it a try I'll let you all know how it stands up.

MTC
03-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I just did a white bottom

foulhook
03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I just did a white bottom

Thats the best match I have ever seen. What paint did you use? Did you do the base too??

MTC
03-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Peddit Vivid White very $$$

MTC
03-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Pettit Vivid White

saltyric
03-12-2007, 06:29 AM
MYC - Did it turn green at all? I used an Interlux product last year.....I beleive it was either white or slightly gray.....The area around the bow (Out of the water a fair amount), turned green. I beleive it's some sort of oxidation with the copper in the paint and the air,,

MTC
03-12-2007, 07:30 AM
I think it will turn. I would have gone black. It looks good and resist growth better than any other color. Ask anybody who powerwashes bottoms which color looks the best in the fall.

If I had a boat without bottom paint I would wax than haul and powerwash it every other week...

saltyric
03-12-2007, 07:32 AM
I think it will turn. I would have gone black. It looks good and resist growth better than any other color. Ask anybody who powerwashes bottoms which color looks the best in the fall.

If I had a boat without bottom paint I would wax than haul and powerwash it every other week...

Yeah, but the white on your boat looks sharp!!:kewl:

foulhook
03-12-2007, 01:17 PM

Thats the problem. I just sold my Twin Vee Baycat and am purchasing a 22ft Twin Vee leftover. It already has black bottom paint on it. I don't ever slip my boat. I travel where the fish are. Personally I hate the look of bottom paint but I'm stuck now. The deal was so good I could'nt pass it up. Leftover 22ft TV with twin 115 zukes (6 year warranty)70hrs on them. Never registred for 25K . For that kind of savings I have to learn to love the bottom paint. I just thought I might put that white over the black since I trailer. It looks unreal on your boat!

Tight lines, FH

gf2020
03-12-2007, 02:14 PM
It looks unreal on your boat!

I don't think that's MTC's boat. I think what he is trying to say is he just painted a customer's boat with the white bottom paint; he would use black on his own boat.

MTC
03-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Thats the problem. I just sold my Twin Vee Baycat and am purchasing a 22ft Twin Vee leftover. It already has black bottom paint on it. I don't ever slip my boat. I travel where the fish are. Personally I hate the look of bottom paint but I'm stuck now. The deal was so good I could'nt pass it up. Leftover 22ft TV with twin 115 zukes (6 year warranty)70hrs on them. Never registred for 25K . For that kind of savings I have to learn to love the bottom paint. I just thought I might put that white over the black since I trailer. It looks unreal on your boat!

Tight lines, FH

The boat that I painted White was a customers boat. It was Black and it took 2 coats. My boat is Green and qoing Black. If the previous owner did not Barrier coat it I would of stripped it, wet sanded it, buffed it with rubbing compound and waxed it. Your boat has a dealer paint job they may not of even sanded it. Most dealers go the easy route and put sanding primer on in place of sanding the hull. It may strip off and buff out ok.

foulhook
03-13-2007, 11:23 AM
The boat that I painted White was a customers boat. It was Black and it took 2 coats. My boat is Green and qouing Black. If the previous owner did not Barrier coat it I would of stripped it, wet sanded it, buffed it with rubbing compound and waxed it. Your boat has a dealer paint job they may not of even sanded it. Most dealers go the easy route and put sandinging primer on in place of sanding the hull. It may strip off and buff out ok.

PM me. where are you located. I would be very interested in trying that if you think it could be removed...I'll find out if it was barrier coated...Unfortunately I think it was

Tight lines, Bob

MTC
03-13-2007, 08:47 PM
I LOVE CATS... WITH OUTBOARDS NOT HAIR!

blaruffa
03-14-2007, 08:52 AM
MTC, Thanks for sahring the pictures. Nice match. Hope my come mine comes out that nice.

BassyiusMaximus
03-14-2007, 03:15 PM
After doing the research and asking around, I'll be going with the Petit Vivid, white as the basecoat then two coats of Red, should look nice on the new hull. Just have to spend the almost $400 for 2 gallons plus the barrier coat $$$.

BOAT really is Break Out Another Thousand.

MTC
03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
I just did an 11' Whaler in Vivid Red for a Divorced Brunet that wanted it to match nail polish. It came out great and all parties were happy! I'll try to get photos of the boat

BassyiusMaximus
03-15-2007, 09:19 AM
I would like the red to match the shade I paint my toenails, jk. I have seen the red on the bottom of a Contender on THT and it looked awesome. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think that if my boat ever turtled, the Coast Guard might find, at least my boat if not me, faster if the bottom were red, that and maybe I'll get more speeding tickets while I trailer down the highway. Thanks MTC for the info, truly appreciated.

MTC
03-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Maximus... you use nail polish!

BassyiusMaximus
03-15-2007, 01:54 PM
I ordered two gallons of the Petit Vivid online. A killer deal with free shipping, $142 a gallon. Much better than the $189+Tax that West M. wants, on sale! I saved over $100 right there. I'll put a coat of white on first then 2 coats of the red. I'll so this sometime in late May or early June, first chance I get.

zacs
03-15-2007, 02:29 PM
If you are painting on a bare hull make sure you barrier coat first.

I have red(maroon) paint on the bottom of my boat. Matches the Northcoast red bootstripe perfect.

MTC
03-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Thats a great price

BassyiusMaximus
03-15-2007, 03:54 PM
I was set to go to West M. to buy it as it was onsale which means that they upped the price this year and on sale means they are selling it at 2006's price, but going online and searching around got me a great price and free shipping for the month of March.

Now I have to figure out what to do first, sand/no sand and what barrier coat to put on before the bottom paint. I believe no matter what I'll have to clean the bottom with some toxic chemical first to get rid of mold release wax and dirt and all, then maybe the Petit no sand primer would do it?

MTC
03-15-2007, 09:15 PM
I have never had a lot of luck with the no sand primers. I know sanding is harder but so is redoing it