View Full Version : Whats the "official" way to not be a MA resident anymore?

Skip N
03-08-2007, 10:46 PM
So i moved across the border from MA to RI a couple months ago, so i'm figuring i'm a RI resident and not a MA resident anymore. Well, i get my 2007 estimated tax vouchers from MA the other day, i always paid my MA taxes this way when i lived in MA and worked in RI. So by getting this, i'm assuming i'm somehow still a MA resident! is thier an official form or something i need to fill out to no longer be a MA resident? I dont need to be paying taxes to a state i dont live in anymore!

spence
03-08-2007, 11:20 PM
I believe you have to pay the split based on dates...

-spence

Skip N
03-09-2007, 06:31 AM
I believe you have to pay the split based on dates...

-spence

You're correct Spence, i just paid the diefference on my 2006 returns. But now i'm getting my estimated tax vouchers from MA for 2007, and i havent lived in MA since December '06. So i shouldnt be paying any 2007 taxes to MA, i dont live there, and i dont work there. I'm wondering why they still sent me these, the only thing i can i think of is that MA still thinks i live in MA.

Raven
03-09-2007, 06:39 AM
if you were living in your new residence on January 1rst, 2007
(out of State)

you no longer have to pay your ma. excise taxes for your car.

be careful of that one .........
or they'll render your drivers license invalid.:shocked:

you have 30 days to obtain your new license.

MrHunters
03-09-2007, 07:35 AM
you lived in ma for most of 06 so since this is the 06 tax year would you pay taxes for ma up untill dec 06?

next tax season i would assume it would be all RI

MakoMike
03-09-2007, 07:39 AM
When you filed you 06 returns did you file as a resident or non-resident? No matter, just throw the estimated tax vouchers away and don't worry about it.

Slipknot
03-09-2007, 07:41 AM
just toss those forms in the shredder

thortum
03-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Just keep sending Ma. the $$$$$. We have a lot of illegals to support. Thank you.

Swimmer
03-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Skip call the DOR and they will tell you. Probably have to send them copies of your new registration, new R.I. license to operate, your first born, picture of the new abode.........no really probably just the first two. And you could also check on-line at mass.gov/dor that might help. Don't take 30 days to get your license. Once you have moved you need to have it. Only when your in the process of moving over a thirty day period do you have that 30 days to get your driver's license. That actually reads, thirty days within which to make the appointment and the following thirty days to secure the license for a total of sixty days. Or its immediately once you have secured a job.

New fine structure in Mass. for operating unlicensed, basic minimum fine has been raised to $1000.00 to combat the plague of illegals who just dont bother to get a license and to deter the kids who are driving around unlicensed in one of the various way they do that.