View Full Version : Are you crushed??

Rappin Mikey
03-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Just wondering how many people out there are fishing with crushed barbs? I started doing this a little more last year, especially from the kayak.

fishsmith
03-09-2007, 07:58 AM
no

vanstaal
03-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I was thinking about it still up in the air :uhoh: :uhoh:

daceman63
03-09-2007, 08:02 AM
never did it. I don't catch many so those I do hook I want to land. lol

2na
03-09-2007, 08:03 AM
You shoulda started before you drilled that treble into your thumb in the middle of the blitz 2 Junes ago -

I've been dremel-ing mine off for about 7-8 years now

JFigliuolo
03-09-2007, 08:05 AM
When fishing a bluefish blitz (which is not that often) yes.

Hunting bass, no way. I use one trebble hook and a siwash tail hook (to reduce foul hooking), so there is little damage done.

afterhours
03-09-2007, 08:10 AM
i always crush my barbs. go in fish easier- come out of fish easier- come out of me easier. i don't believe you'll loose fish if you play them well.....my .02

good2hook
03-09-2007, 08:24 AM
man, i don't think i could get past the fact of losing a 50lber. because of something i intentionally did to a hook, it's bad enough losing one to the unintentionals i do already. just my .02

daceman63
03-09-2007, 08:30 AM
It seems the barbs just work better. Can't argue with history or the need to catch and eat fish.

"As a general rule it appears that the most ancient hooks were made without barbs or any other refinement. The oldest hooks that have been found in Denmark and Norway indicate that only after thousands of years were they equipped with barbs, grooves, bulges or holes to facilitate attachment of the bait and line."

http://www.mustad.no/history/hook_history.html

BigFish
03-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Nope! I ain't gonna lose the fish of a lifetime.....I have no trouble with barbs and have no trouble unhooking fish in a timely fashion!

Slick Moedee
03-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Been crushing the barbs on trebles for a number of years now. Leave the single hooks as is.

MrHunters
03-09-2007, 08:52 AM
nope i need all the help i can get... doesnt mean i don't feel bad when i foul hook one and its a small surgery trying to save the lil guy

eelman
03-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Never when bass fishing...thats when the fish of a lifetime will hit...

Steve K
03-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Yes on all tail hooks of plugs and all of the hooks on plugs that I use to catch schoolies at the beginning of the season.

BigFish
03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Amen brother #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&!

JohnR
03-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Unquestionably on schoolies and bluefish - never when targeting larger fish...

UserRemoved1
03-09-2007, 09:15 AM
ALWAYS unless I am fishing tunoids cuz they can turn so fast I can't reel quick enough and you will lose them. Never lost a big bass with barbless.

Swimmer
03-09-2007, 09:45 AM
In the spring I do Mikey. Can't see mangling the mouth on all the schoolies.

jim sylvester
03-09-2007, 09:58 AM
never....why put yourself in a predicament to loose the fish of a lifetime

I'ld rather cut my hand open to get a barbed hook out than loose a big fish

Sluggoslinger
03-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I have certain lures with crushed barbs just because its much easier to release the schoolies in the spring. That is the only time I use those lures though.

Rockport24
03-09-2007, 10:01 AM
yeah, based on the advice of #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and others I don't do it. I want every advantage I can get.

LeCounts1099
03-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Every hook I throw into the Ocean has a crushed barb-- I truly feel the advantages of greater hook- penetration into a Cows' bony jaw greatly outweighs the distant fear that this will allow my dream- fish to come unbuttoned! You have to solidly hook up that Monster first, to have any chance to land it!-- a feat sometimes with plugs sporting largish- trebles, no matter how sharp! I can honestly say that I don't feel I've ever lost a big Bass because of this... bent- out fresh 4x-strong trebles way more often is my bane! :doh:

However, I've gone to what I'd describe as a "75% crush"... where the barb is still there, but crushed enough that it lays roughly parallel to the hook- shank. I feel this give me the advantages of having some/ enough barb... but still the advantage of easier penetration, & easier/ gentler unhooking of released fish (99.9% of mine, esp. cows). Works for me after 10+ years of field- testing! :hihi:

shadow
03-09-2007, 10:15 AM
only my spring time schoolie plugs other then that never.

goosefish
03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
freshwater yes, saltwater no--I have no idea really why I do it that way?

kippy
03-09-2007, 12:00 PM
only for schoolies or blitz of blues, otherwise no.

In The Surf
03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Sometimes April till the end of the first week of May on cocahoes and 4-6" slug-gos if I'm fishing during that timeframe but that's about it

Mike P
03-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Nope--only on the 4" Storm shads, and only because shorts tend to inhale them. Barbless hooks will penetrate a fish's gill just as easily as a barbed one, in any event. You never hurt a fish with trebles when the belly hook is lodged in the jaw. It's always the back hook that gets under their gill plate and does the damage, and barb or no barb, the damage is done. Barbless hooks don't prevent injury to bass--they only make it less likely that you'll injure yourself unhooking a thrashing fish.

What do you do when a big fish plays that dirty rotten trick of reversing direction and swimming right at you, and you're fishing barbless? Can you really reel fast enough to prevent any slack at all from getting into the line? A tiny bit of slack is all it'll take for that barbless hook to fall out ;)

And, there is a big difference between a "true" barbless hook, and a standard hook with the barb filed or crushed down. True barbless hooks have a bend in them that helps the hook stay stuck. I've yet to see a bluefish that couldn't throw a hook with a crushed barb by jumping and shaking its head.

LeCounts1099
03-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Points well- taken as usual, Mike... but here are my answers:

1) Hook- penetration is no where near equal comparing full- barbed and barb- crushed trebles on plugs... The question here is: maybe you might lose one (potentially) "big" fish a year to slack forming w/ barbless plug- hooks... but how many hard- strikes that didn't hook-up did you have last year w/ full barbs? How many of those would have been hook- ups going no- barbs? If the answer is 2+, then you've come out ahead crushing your barbs.

2) Can I reel fast enough for the "dirty trick?" Yes, with my VS250... So far yes with my VS 300 w/ slower retrieve ratio. And who says slack at any point while barbless guarantees an unbuttoned fish?-- I think Mike you're envisioning that rare case when your Cow is stuck with one hook from a treble only, loosely... Face it most times Momma's got a whole head treble in her maw, and it ain't coming out so easily if so slack or no!

3) Yes, the back hook on a plug's the damage- one to the released Bass's health: that's why for me, NO Bass plug has a rear treble: rear bucktail Siwash single... or when possible, a hookless swinging bucktail on the rear! Doesn't eliminate 100% the gill damage issue... but way above the rear- treble approach.

Finally, 4) re.: Bluefish throwing barbless/ crushed- barb hooks: Nov. 28 + 29th last, S.S. L.I. surf: throwing mostly bass- plugs looking to cul a cow, I instead landed approx. 75 Blues in two days with my crushed- barb plugs & tins... I honestly don't recall dropping one once hooked! With sand beach & no structure, it was still easy to beat 14+ lb. blues on 20 lb. mono. Lots of jumping I assure-- too bad! I hope for long- distance releases, when unfortunate enough to hook- up a Blue! :happy:

zimmy
03-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I do on all trebles and on some singles. I have to disagree with what Mike P said about the damage is already done when the hook goes in. Barbs cause a bigger hole going in, cause much more damage when they are removed and may cause the fish to be out of the water for a longer period of time because they are harder to remove.

One of the rare times I forgot to crush the barbs I ended up with a 12 lber attached to my thumb by a Yozuri Darter. The hook went in all the way to the bend. Wouldn't have required surgery if it was crushed and I would have had a lot less time with a fish flopping around mangling my thumb :yak4: .

Goose
03-09-2007, 01:35 PM
I had a dream once I useing a barbless, what a nightmare. Heads shakes.

MarshCappa
03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
I crush em all! But I've lost more than my share. I hate what it does to them when I need to use the needlenose.

chuckg
03-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Crush them on smaller plugs/plactics for springtime school fish.

EricM
03-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I go in phases. I crushed barbs for a few years, and then I hooked into something massive with a crushed barbed fly and five minutes into the fight -headshake bye-bye. I could have fought the fish better, but...Sayonara barbless.

luds
03-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Only when I'm targeting schoolies.

numbskull
03-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Crushed Mustads for years, they worked much better. VMCs dont have much of a barb and I get lazy about it, but expect I'll regret it some day.

thortum
03-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I bend the barbs flat on all flies, and partially bend them on all of the larger hooks.

Rappin Mikey
03-09-2007, 10:53 PM
OOCH!!!

gone fishin
03-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I agree with Mike - only one exception, when targeting schoolies in the spring I use barbless hooks. If i loose them it doesn't matter. Fishing without barbs make you concentrate on keeping the line tight and landing a fish quickly.

Al in Westport
03-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Hi All,

Up ‘till this year I haven’t given crushing the barb much thought. Never did crush. Now, after reading these posts, I’m going to start fishing barbless. At least when plugging for schoolies this spring in the river.

Al

l.i.fish.in.vt
03-10-2007, 07:57 AM
i chrush the barbs on all my plugs,both trebles and siwash. i don't think i lose any fish because of it. i have seen PTmike land enough big fish for me to believe that it doesn't effect his landing rate. i know several other anglers who have landed more big fish than most and i mean 50 to 60 lbfish and they crush the barbs,thats enough for me to trust crushed barbs

tattoobob
03-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Never Did it never will :wiggle:

blue oyster
03-11-2007, 10:39 AM
not only do i crush all my barbs i cut off at least one of the hooks on each treble ,i just hate to mangle the fish when they take the hook in both upper and lower jaws

Slingah
03-11-2007, 11:07 AM
blue fish blitz's and dinks only....then not even always...

mosholu
03-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I always crush the barbs since a barbed hook led to a lot of agro when it went into my hand once out at Montauk. I think the suggestion to switch to a single hook on the back of plugs makes a lot of sense and will try that this year.

Rob Rockcrawler
03-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Tail hooks are all crushed. And like everyone else when targeting schoolies and blues they are gone.

fishgolf
03-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Always on leadheads...
Not on plugs.
Usually fish leadheads...

Nebe
03-11-2007, 05:54 PM
crushed barbs until june 15th. then its game on :humpty:

riverrat55
03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
I crush all my treble hooks on plugs and use circle hooks on bait!!!
I have done this for over 15 years and yes I have lost some fish due to this, but in the long run I believe I have saved more smaller fish due to the fact that the barbs were crushed!!!
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose!!!
That is Life!!! Deal with it!!!