View Full Version : fog lights

Rockport24
03-09-2007, 10:12 AM
random stupid complaint:

why does everybody drive with their fog lights on even in the city where there are street lights everywhere and no FOG!! Especially SUV's, they pull up behind me at a red light and I'm blinded in my side-view mirrors cause of all the light!!

Raven
03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
i'm telling yeah, i hate the bright lights so bad i'm gonna mount
some high beam brackets facing backwards on my roof rack...
with a push button switch to GET their attention...

when they see the flash of your rear view mirror getting cranked
skyward to keep from going blind they ought to gather a Hint...

Rockport24
03-09-2007, 11:37 AM
amen to that!

Mike P
03-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Hmmm--my fog lights aren't bright enough to blind an ant :confused:

They're aimed at the ground about 20' in front of my grille--great for running the beach at night at 10 mph.

Swimmer
03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
To use foglights in any other situation than an emergency is illegal in Massachusetts. Headlights would have to have been unusable for whatever reason and the fog lights can only illuminate the road no higher than necessary to light the road 60' ahead of the vehicle thats using them. Which means they are supposed to be popinted pretty much downward. Its citable and a $35.00 fine.

Rockport24
03-09-2007, 02:49 PM
wow, a lot of people in MASS are breaking the law then.
I turn mine on if I'm on a dark road with no streetlights or something, but not when I'm just cruising around town and there's tons of other cars around to illluminate the road.

the main issue is the SUV's (and I'm not an anti-SUV liberal), but if the fogs are on, because the SUVs are higher off the ground, they point right in my side mirrors and blind me! Turn the damn things off unless you're on a super dark road or unless it's actually bad weather!!

BigBo
03-09-2007, 02:59 PM
There's a difference between fog lights and driving lights.
I think you're referring to driving lights being so bright. They too, should be aimed downward similar to fog lights.

Backbeach Jake
03-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Those blinders are driving lights. Made to illuminate a dark but empty highway. Just another example of equiptment installed on cool cars that the owners have no clue, nor want a clue, how to use.
I also love the jerks who flash highbeams to pass. You're in the fast lane doing 80, there's no where to go, and this dipsh** is flashing his lights. Oh goody, it's 45MPH o'clock!!:rotf3:

Swimmer
03-09-2007, 07:05 PM
is because when thier on the vehicle that is using them gives the same illumination to oncoming traffic as if the high beams are on. And failure to reduce high beams is also citable and obviously dangerous. So if you have your regular headlights on plus the fogs its gives a much higher and inappropriate amount of illumination. Now if you have your regular lights on high beam and the fog lights on, well nothing needs to be said.

Yes a large segment of the driving public are breaking "a law" if they drive around with the fogs on needlessly. I personelly have never stopped anyone for that but I know some guys who do. One of them wife was blinded one night and pulled to the right to let the oncoming vewhicle pass and she scrape a curb rupturing a tire and Old Gerry has been sticking it to the fog lights ever since.

It kind of surprises me in regard to the high number of people who do use them. You can turn them off easy enough. And its only one more thing that will need replacing.

daceman63
03-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I only ever use my regular lights unless I'm on the beach. Then I will use the fogs at night. I used to drive some pretty dark roads and I never use the high beams. I thing regular illumination is enough. It is for me anyway. My wife is high beam happy (that's not what I mean...lol)....She uses high beams in the driveway.

My Ford Expedition the fogs and the high beams cannot be on at the same time. I switch to the high beams the fogs shut off.

saltydog
03-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Going back a good number of years, I use to own a KENWORTH K100. when I sold it I took off my driving lamps. there were 8" round an had louvers in them for directional adjustment!!! well I was sick of all the HIGH BEAMS comming at me. I put them on my personal truck.
(the wounders of youth.) now I just drive around an BLESS them all as they drive by.:af: Ill find a pic of that truck.
GOOD LUCK GOOD DRIVIN:lossinit:
P.S. FOG LIGHTS are YELLOW
DRIVING LAMPS are WHITE

snake slinger
03-10-2007, 05:00 PM
theres a lot of jakass's who dont care if there blinding you and a lot think its funny:rocketem: :rocketem: :rocketem:

justplugit
03-10-2007, 11:14 PM
theres a lot of jakass's who dont care if there blinding you and a lot think its funny:rocketem: :rocketem: :rocketem:

Yeah, i luv it when they get those blue lights bouncing off your side view mirror into your cab on purpose. :(