View Full Version : rare catch

Mr. Kav
07-15-2002, 08:25 AM
Well i had an interesting day on saturday. i went out for a sight seeing troll and decided to try off nantasket after speaking with Van on the radio ( thanks for the report, Van). I was with my new girlfriend and she has never been fishing other than with me and i really haven't taken her fishing, just sight seeing. well my plan was to troll some deep divers and maybe a rigged herring to catch a decent size blue fish and watch her reel a fish in. Well I was trolling for about 30 minutes out about 6 miles parallel to nantasket when all of a sudden my rod (310 GTI 20 lb test with wire leader) starts screaming and screaming. Well i pick the rod up and feel that there is a nice fish and taking a ton of line on a fairly heavy drag setting so i lighten the drag down a bit put it in the rod holder and ran to the cabin to get a rod belt. she was standing there panicing, i could tell, so i acted as if this is the norm. So i put the rod belt on her put the rod in it and gave a brief intruction of " go slow and pull up and then reel down. Well after about 50 minutes and trying to quit the battle three different times she finally got the 31.5 lb bluefin tuna to the boat. She didn't want to hurt the fish so self control got the better of me and we released the fish. After we released the fish she says "wow fishing is hard work, but now i understand why you like it so much " There was no more fishing after that so i took her into boston got a slip for a few hours and went to fanuel hall, we sit down at an out door restaurant and the first thing she does is order a margarita ( and she does really drink ). what a great and surprising day saturday turned out to be.

fishsmith
07-15-2002, 08:58 AM
Great Fish!!! Congratulations.

Van
07-15-2002, 10:27 AM
Very very nice Kav:

I can't believe you picked up a tuna in there.
I am going out tomorrow, Hmmmm, I just may swing by that area as well.;)

We trolled for quite a while with a nice blue and a couple of hits.
Then I went to the rocks and chunked up a fat 39" striper, and my son got about a 34", also some shorts. Lots of fish around but they are finicky!!

I tryed to call you again later that day, no luck, and I don't know why your signal was so weak when we spoke. you were not that far away. Are you using a handheld VHF??
If not, are you getting the full 25 watts output?

Mr. Kav
07-15-2002, 01:03 PM
no it isn't a hand held, i will check my connections but i heard you fairly well. i am not sure if i would target any tuna in that area, i have a feeling that was real lucky for me for the fish to be there. The small tuna are usually south of the cape and the giants come up this way but just offshore. i still can't believe he took that because i had a wire leader and i have never used wire for tuna i would have thought that it would have spooked him.

Van
07-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Did you get any of the blues you were actually targeting?
That is what I will go for tomorrow morning, then go bassin' when the ocean fills up again.

How about your antenna??

Mr. Kav
07-15-2002, 01:37 PM
No i didn't get any blues but i threw out a rigged herring WITHOUT a tandem hook setup because i didn't have one made. I had two deep divers out and the rigged herring and the herring got whacked and I pulled in half a fish. so I started to to tie up a tandem setup with wire and that is when the tuna hit and then we didn't fish anymore. I was only fishing for about 45 minutes before we got that fish. i think the antenna is ok because i heard you fine.

Van
07-15-2002, 01:47 PM
COPY THAT !!

I'll let you know how I do tomorrow.

STEVE IN MASS
07-15-2002, 04:23 PM
Wow, Kav, guess I gotta finally call you tomoroow.....