View Full Version : Interesting drive home

Mike P
03-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Snow turning to sleet/ice. I went by 3 vehicles in the weeds that spun off 195. All 3 were 4wds--two Explorers and an Xterra. People that think 4wd makes them bulletproof :wall:

I felt 35 mph was comfortable, but by 40 it felt like I was pushing it, about on the borderline of being under control--in 4wd. I had a Beemer fishtail as he got about 30' from my rear end. He recovered and ducked in behind me. Someone who thought 50 was do-able :rollem:

Someone else lost it getting off 25 at the Buzzards Bay rotary. The guardrail kept him on the road and he was able to straighten out and drive off.

Be careful out there in SE Mass and the Cape. It's slick.

Slingah
03-16-2007, 03:25 PM
slick isnt the word......horrible driving on the south shore too
just saw a few accidents and spin outs

justplugit
03-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Without alot of snow this year, people forget how to drive on it. :(

Even though, with a coat of ice, the only sure way is a set of chains.

spence
03-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Rt 24 moving about 10mph over the Sakonnet River Bridge.

Went out to get pizza and beer before things got really bad. Now I can cuddle up before the fire with my new copy of Men's Vogue.

-spence

chris L
03-16-2007, 03:56 PM
spence you actually eat pizza and drink beer ? interesting
LOL

MrHunters
03-16-2007, 04:01 PM
north shore aint much better.

2inches of snow on the roads everywhere. what fun

luds
03-16-2007, 04:28 PM
I live in an apartment comlex on a hill. It's a tough climb in this without 4*4. My girlfriend couldn't make it in her civic so I went down to help out. Jumped in..gave it running start and put her in D2....oh yeah. Charged her $20 for the services.

One more BigFish plug tomorrow :uhuh:

Backbeach Jake
03-16-2007, 05:08 PM
When I was still building police cars, A Statie told me that most of the fatalities in snow that involved Suvs, were the Suvs still in 2WD.

JohnR
03-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Double the normal commute time going home today with the worst being two places, where 4 merges into 95 and on West Shore Road between Dave's and 113. Cars all over the place, light rear wheel drive cars and 4x2 compact pickups... Had to navigate around some of them :wall:

Also saw some dumbasss kids doing e-brake turns in mommy's car, until they nailed the curb... a$$wipes...

Slipknot
03-16-2007, 06:54 PM
glad I have a heavy truck
about 2 hours to get home including a short stop to get some plugs after work, average 20 mph even on rt 24, highway was a little better on 495 but not much. lotta plows on the road traveling, saw many emergency vehicles on their way to accidents I suppose. This snow packed like ice with the temp hovering around 31 degrees, nasty out there, good to be home

Squid kids Dad
03-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm gonna be busy next week...:af:

Jenn
03-17-2007, 06:14 AM
All 3 were 4wds--two Explorers and an Xterra. People that think 4wd makes them bulletproof :wall:

Have plenty of winter driving up and down 91 to tell you I agree! We actually have a saying "But I've got four wheel drive...." (must be said is VERY sarcastis tone)..and is meant for those either in the ticky weed or flying by you doing 50+ when conditions call for no more than say 30MPH that drive with the "but I've got four wheel drive" attitude thinking 4WD is gonna save them......:doh: