View Full Version : Outer coating

tattoobob
03-16-2007, 06:09 PM
How important is it? I bought a rod off a member at SOL
It is epoxy around the guides and at the top of the handle
where it is wrapped but the blank is not, SHould it be?

Sweetwater
03-16-2007, 06:43 PM
If the blank is fairly new and has a "factor coat" on it, I'd see no need to re-coat it. If the blank is "rough" and has lost it's sheen, you can re-coat for cosmetic purposes. If the blank is piting, severly sun damaged, or has corrosion on it, a VERY light sanding and a coat of Flex-Coat or Aftcote would be good.

I've restored some old rods (stripped all the guides, cork, reel seat, etc.) and of course those always get re-coated.

tattoobob
03-16-2007, 07:47 PM
The Blank is in near to mint condition like brand new,
Is this flex coat something I can do myself? or should I take it to a rod builder?

Slipknot
03-16-2007, 08:30 PM
:huh:
epoxy coating the whole rod?
I never heard of such a thing

Are you asking because the blank has a dull finish to it and the wraps are shiny epoxy? Some blanks are made as a dull finish, most have a gloss finish.

I would think that even adding just one layer of epoxy to a rod blank, that it can change the action.

Goose
03-16-2007, 08:48 PM
I've rebuilt a few rods that involved sanding and repainting the whole blank, then the finish coat of course. The finish is very flexiable, imo it didn't change the action enough to notice. Even though it isn't that big of a job you should have someone who's done it do it. Its been years but I think cms does it for 15$ and I beleive M&Ds does it for less and a nice job too.

tattoobob
03-16-2007, 10:20 PM
I will try and get some pics tomorrow, I have no idea what goes into building a rod, so I don't know the correct terms

it is a well built rod, I was basically wondering if the rod needed a clear coat on the blank

the blank is an Batson rainshadow SW-1209

snake slinger
03-17-2007, 06:54 AM
batsons have a flat black finnish.it doesnt need clear coat

Sweetwater
03-17-2007, 06:58 PM
:huh:
epoxy coating the whole rod?
I never heard of such a thing

Are you asking because the blank has a dull finish to it and the wraps are shiny epoxy? Some blanks are made as a dull finish, most have a gloss finish.

I would think that even adding just one layer of epoxy to a rod blank, that it can change the action.

I don't think that flex-coat or Aftcote impacts the action of the rod at all. As the name implies, these coatings are very flexible and do protect the rod. I've only coated the entire rod when it is VERY old and has had some damage to it (nicks, corrosion, etc.).

Given the blank you're describing (brand and age) I wouldn't touch it other than to fish it :)

Steve K
03-19-2007, 10:42 AM
batsons have a flat black finnish.it doesnt need clear coat

Agreed. That rod sounds fine to me.

tattoobob
03-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all your knowledge and help

nightfighter
03-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah, keep the matte finish, Bob. After all, you're not exactly the type who wears shiny bling to attract attention at night on the beach!:bl:

Saltheart
03-21-2007, 03:24 PM
leave it alone if its "near new condition". If you must do something , wax it with a good car wax.

Goose
03-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I mis-read the thread,,my bad:smash:.....what SaltHeart said