View Full Version : Full Moon Fishing

Duke41
07-17-2002, 10:44 AM
I have had considerable sucess fishing at dusk into the night over the last two weeks. This was a first for me as I prefer to fish in the morning or during the day. With a full moon comming soon, what should I expect. I am plannning on drifting eels on either tide off of Newport and Beavertail. Any advice?

BassmanN
07-17-2002, 11:49 AM
Expect to catch fish:D

Duke41
07-17-2002, 01:07 PM
excellent Simpson

Saltheart
07-17-2002, 02:01 PM
Hope for a cloudy night. Adjust you plugs to match the sky. Bright sky , bright plugs. If you get an overcast night , throw dark stuff. Use rigged eels anytime for your best chance.

Duke41
07-17-2002, 02:16 PM
thanks saltheart.

BassmanN
07-17-2002, 03:00 PM
Try...
EELs
Three way or your alternative.

Never tried this at night-but rock face between the entrance of Hull cove and Mackrel. some days you can get the wind and tide to push you right along.

Saltheart.."rigged eels"?
enlighten me please..
spring rigs?
rigged with leader through the eel?

Saltheart
07-17-2002, 03:41 PM
Here is a good thread about rigged eels

http://209.151.73.201/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1483

chris L
07-17-2002, 03:54 PM
HI MIKE !!!!
Duke
good choices of places to fish also add brenton point . bright sky white plugs !

bassmaster
07-17-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Saltheart
Hope for a cloudy night. Adjust you plugs to match the sky. Bright sky , bright plugs. If you get an overcast night , throw dark stuff. Use rigged eels anytime for your best chance.
Dont know the area but in Mecca. a yellow needle worked on top and some Yellow plugs, if the high beam is out

Duke41
07-17-2002, 06:57 PM
Do you guys think plugs will work offshore or are you recomdending I toss them at the rocks or at the reef. In other words can I expect surface hits on Brenton reef at night?

bloocrab
07-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Dukee....If I was fishing from a boat during a Full Moon....I wouldn't concentrate on surface action....(although I'd keep a rod handy just in case something arose)....I'd fish deep....deeper ...and deepest....throw some chunks on the bottom...or drift some chunks in the lower water columns...

...the fish should be hitting bait deep during these humid times...seeing as how baitfish are still a bit scarce...cept' for the lil' silversides....:)

The moon sux, unless your in LOVE :humpty: :blush:

Duke41
07-18-2002, 08:09 PM
bloo,

chunks or eels right?

bloocrab
07-18-2002, 11:26 PM
...I would throw chunks and possibly whole squid. Not that I don't think EELS would produce, but a chunk is just an easier meal....I think the temperature & the "lack" of oxygen in the water makes them a bit more sluggish (Less Aggressive)....but I'd also invest in a couple of eels- 2 for each person just for my own excitement. Theres nothing like the feeling of live bait on the line ~ getting chased :D

...when you reach the boat, have your "mate" dice up a few pogies...as small as he has patience to dice. When you reach a stretch of water your going to work...toss a couple of handfulls in the water...just make sure your gonna be drifting towards the -chum- As you make your drift, you'll be working the water you just primed...;)

Happy Fishing ~ :)