View Full Version : Moment of Truth.....

The Dad Fisherman
03-18-2007, 12:00 AM
just finished wrapping my 1st tonight....all thats left is the epoxy. any last minute Tips or Suggestions (or Prayers) on this step?

Wish me Luck....

fishaholic18
03-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Make sure mix is perfect 50/50, not a hair off.
Stir well and long, a few minutes.
Apply coats light/thin, don't worry, 2nd coat will cover what wasn't on 1st.
1st Fill under guides, I use a toothpick.
Coat all wraps with brush, I use Flexcoat brushes.
I put epoxy on while rod is at a stand still, not spinning, then let it sit guides up a few seconds so I can wick off the excess that hangs below, if not, excess will sling up guides.
Get rod spinning and and hit the ends of wraps on to blank for a nice clean edge.
I then hit wraps with a little heat, I use propane torch, to remove bubbles and let epoxy flow.

2nd coat, trim off any tie offs that may be poking up with a razor.
Repeat above.

Good luck.

thunnus69
03-18-2007, 08:02 AM
If you have a source of warm air i.e. alcohol flame, hair dryer, mini torch or even a straw will help the epoxy lay down nice and get any air bubbles out . The hair dryer and torch can be tricky, too much and your dripping or blowing epoxy all over the place. Practice first, a little bit goes a long way. Make sure you stir the epoxy well to avoid clouding and most importantly take your time. If you have to mix more than one batch of epoxy that's ok. Trying to apply epoxy that's beginning to harden is a pain and doesn't turn out well. Stop, mix new epoxy and continue. Have some epoxy cleaner available to quick clean any messes before they harden. I am sure you know to apply epoxy while the rod is turning on the rod dryer, don't forget to add epoxy to the gap where the guide foot meets the rod to avoid getting salt in there and blindly corroding your guides. I would also gently wipe down the wraps and inspect them making sure there are no stains , hairs or foreign matter before applying epoxy. Finally, resting your hand on a block or book to steady it while applying the epoxy will help. If you have specific questions throw them out, I'll try to help if I can. BTW What kind of rod blank, butt, guides did you go with?
Hope this helps,
-Joe

fishaholic18
03-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Oh, another thing, I warm my epoxy in microwave before I mix it together. I stick both bottles in and nuke 'em 30 secs or so. Makes mixing and applying easier.

stripersnipr
03-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Another trick to get the air bubbles out is to pour the mixed epoxy on a flat surface (I use small foil pie pans) and blow on the mix through a straw. Make sure the room is reasonably warm while applying and drying. I've found cool areas with high humidity aren't conducive to good clear coat applicaction/drying.

fishaholic18
03-18-2007, 12:12 PM
I don't worry about bubbles until I'm finished applying the finish. I just hit the wraps with a propane torch on low and bubbles are gone.

spence
03-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Here's a tip.

After the you apply the epoxy, rip open an old down pillow and fluff the feathers into the room. Then start an oscillating fan in the other corner.

:gu:

-spence

fishaholic18
03-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Here's a tip.

After the you apply the epoxy, rip open an old down pillow and fluff the feathers into the room. Then start an oscillating fan in the other corner.

:gu:

-spence

:jester: :bshake: :tooth: :laugha: :laugha:I'll try that on the rod I'm doing for #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&...

Nebe
03-18-2007, 02:05 PM
i took a rod building class this winter and the teacher insisted you walk around with a squirt bottle filled with water and spray a mist around your wrappper, the floor, the cieling, basicly anywhere dust may be waiting to poof up and land on your epoxy..

missing link
03-30-2007, 09:40 PM
pillow fight