View Full Version : Stripping the Bottom

daceman63
03-21-2007, 06:18 AM
Ever here of this company? I saw them at the boat show. I don't remember what the guy quoted me but I remember it being less than I expected. They had a nice video at the boat show and they safely strip it down to the bare hull leaving it ready for promer and paint. He reccomended that two paint system where the outer coat wears off over the season saying you would never have to strip it again if you did that.

I'm just doing a touch up coat to my boat this year so I won't be stripping but I might consider it for next year.

http://stripitclean.com/app.asp#2

BassyiusMaximus
03-21-2007, 09:59 AM
How much did they quote you? I emailed the guys who are in Wakefield and will wait for them to get back to me as well. I think about getting the paint off my bottom before repainting but only if it were not too much.

daceman63
03-21-2007, 10:06 AM
I don't remember what they quoted. For some reason I have $16.00 per foot in my head. My boat is 24'. Those are the guys...the ones in wakefield. I saw them at the show. I watched their video and they started stripping from the front and before the guy got to the back another guy started priming the front. It was very interesting to me.

MakoMike
03-21-2007, 10:15 AM
I had my boat soda blasted last year to get 15 seasons worth of paint off.

daceman63
03-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Nice!!!! What did you re-coat it with? Did you use that two color process where the top color wears off through the season?

BassyiusMaximus
03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
I was quoted $55 a foot for an $1,100 total. That is a lot of clams for my current boat. It was worth looking into though.

I will be putting a tracer coat underneath my top layer of bottom paint to see where I'll be needing to touch up in the future.

Mr. Sandman
03-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I had mine blasted too last year then a fresh epoxy barrier coat and ablative bottom paint on that. IMO if you use ablative it wears away and you don't get the buildup. My bottom looks so good right now I doubt I need to do anything this year. (It was expensive to have it blasted, barrier coated and painted but I should never have to do it again.

Raven
03-21-2007, 02:47 PM
that's expensive enough to warrant buying a sand blaster. :spin:

MTC
03-22-2007, 08:29 PM
You can get it manualy stripped and 2 coats for arounf $48 per foot...