View Full Version : Sand Eels

spinncognito
03-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Wow. I took a ride with girlfriend at about 6PM to try to catch a sunset along the water. Well, the clouds killed the sunset but when we stopped over at Niles Beach there were birds.... a whole lot of birds working the shoreline from the beach all the way out to Eastern Point. For those of you who don't know the area, thats about a two mile stretch of water that looked like a typical fall blitz. We walked onto the beach to investigate. The birds were dive-bombing in less than two feet of water. When we got close enough we noticed what they were attacking. Sand Eels! There was a massive school of them being slurped up by the gulls. There did not appear to be anything else eating the eels but I have never seen a big mass of them so close to shore. I hafta wonder what caused them to be where they were. Anyway, it was a rush that made me want it to be June in a hurry. Snapped a couple pics as I approached the shore but then my camera battery died :wall: I'll post them if they depict the scene well.

Is this unusual or no? I thought the eels stayed offshore...?

fishsmith
03-22-2007, 08:10 PM
ahhhh signs of life, if not eels they might be smelt.

Swimmer
03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Ahh, what a romantic evening, you, the girl, and a sand eel blitz. Could it get any better?

Backbeach Jake
03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Saw this at RP last Easter. Whales grubbing the bottom in skinny water for BIG sandeels. Thought that it was a sign of a banner season. Didn't happen.

Joe
03-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Sand Eels don't mind the cold water...they're the first to come and the last to leave...

Clogston29
03-22-2007, 09:27 PM
probably some cod to be caught there right now if the baits still around.

The Dad Fisherman
03-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Saw the same thing today in Salem on the way home....birds going crazy on something.....didn't have time to check it out though.

BigBo
03-22-2007, 09:50 PM
ahhhh signs of life, if not eels they might be smelt.
I would have guessed smelt also.

GattaFish
03-22-2007, 10:10 PM
This is what I would throw if the eels were around,,,,,

spinncognito
03-23-2007, 05:37 AM
I would have guessed smelt also.

They were defineately eels. I was watching the gulls slurp them up like a kid with a strand of spaghetti.

Sluggoslinger
03-23-2007, 07:46 AM
This is what I would throw if the eels were around,,,,,

GattaFish! Where did you get those and where can i get some? Those look great! PM me if you don't mind...

THanks!

Rockport24
03-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Wow!! I have never seen any sand eels up our way Spinn, that is cool. I was very close to taking a ride to the beach on my way home from work yesterday too, looks like I should have.

spinncognito
03-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Wow!! I have never seen any sand eels up our way Spinn, that is cool. I was very close to taking a ride to the beach on my way home from work yesterday too, looks like I should have.

Yeah it kinda surprised me as well. I know that last season the Whales/Tuna were feeding heavily on the just a coupla miles offshore. Part of me really wants to try to catch cod off the B-water today. Took a ride by the beach this morning b4 work and the birds were present but not diving...

whiplash
03-23-2007, 08:30 AM
If they were sand eels head over to dog bar with some mackeral rigs . you might get lucky . It is almost time.

Rockport24
03-23-2007, 10:42 AM
give it a try Spinn! that would be amazing if you caught some cod!

Christian
03-23-2007, 07:00 PM
nice!