View Full Version : Squid action recinded?

BassyiusMaximus
03-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I just got an email mentioning that the squid action was recinded. Good news?

I'm surprised that I got an email after I had sent one out to whomever it was recommended I send one out to. I must have been heard and it feels good.

March 23, 2007
MarineFisheries Advisory

ACTION RESCINDED TO GRANT EXTENDED DRAGGER ACCESS TO COLLIER’S LEDGE

Acting Commissioner Tom French of the Department of Fish & Game has disapproved a recent action taken by the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission to grant squid trawlers extended access (May 1 – 8) to near-shore waters in the vicinity of Collier’s Ledge. Under M.G.L. c. 130 §17A the Commissioner approves or disapproves regulatory changes submitted by the Director of the Division of Marine Fisheries as part of the regulatory promulgation process.

To clarify, there will be no change to the regulations governing trawl fishing for squid (322 CMR 3.04(6) & 6.39). The squid season runs April 23rd through June 9th. There are not trip limits as of this date but a 2,500-lb. trip limit for mobile gear fishermen will be enacted when certain quota triggers are reached in any given trimester. MarineFisheries will provide notices of any such triggers and consequent trip limit. Mobile gear will remain prohibited during May 1 – October 31 in the longstandings inshore closure from Mashpee to Eastham (322 CMR 3.04(6)).

Mr. Sandman
03-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Yeah I just got that too. There IS a God after all! whatdaknow! There is a little hope after all, not a lot, but some.

macojoe
03-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Me too!!:rolleyes:

fishpoopoo
03-23-2007, 11:57 AM
phew

BassyiusMaximus
03-23-2007, 12:13 PM
It is heartening to see that maybe, just perhaps, our actions really did something. I'm happy with the result as I did my part and emailed and called. Thanks to those who originally posted this up along with the numbers and links, without it I would have never known.

BasicPatrick
03-23-2007, 02:45 PM
A big thank you to all that participated in this action...we did have an effect and when combined with people from all over the fishing community we can protect our fishing.

So tell me again why you are not a member of Mass Striped Bass Association (www.msba.net)??

Fish_Eye
03-23-2007, 05:03 PM
United we stand, divided we fall.

justplugit
03-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Got one also, evidently out of staters opinons do count too.