View Full Version : Hi I'm new, + oddness

likwid
07-19-2002, 12:06 PM
Heya, Just an intro...

25 years old (i feel old... am i old?)
been fishing since i lived with my parents in Kingston (yeah i didn't grow up during the height of stripers everywhere... but being 8 and out in plymouth harbor trolling during the summer and dead of winter jigging up cod i'll miss)

always been around charter guys etc. so im technically a Pigs and Quick's Hole regular (yep... got me a boat... goddamma don't fish it too much inshore... too expensive) and usually down on east end chunking off the piers (look for balloons)

So... the oddness... Quick's has always been a hotspot if you had a boat....
Coming back from the Vineyard from a long weekend meeting the parents over there (yep... they got them damn boat things too)

Trolled ribbon... nothing
Trolled Quick's... nothing
Trolled Sandspit... NOTHING

Whats up with it this year?

Used both a nice rapala surface and a big deep diving bass plug

Not even a damn bluefish...

Now I know where the fish hide, and they seem to not be hiding this year?

Seems to be an exclusive buzzards bay chunk/eel year to me...
They couldn't give a flip about mackerel or anything else...

Maybe my luck is just crap this year?

On the lucky side of things... bout slack tide floating a choggy off the east basin pier (little bastards chompin on my chunk... we'll see how you like being the bait).... tied into something large.... unfortunately (not heeding my father's wisdom) i tied the line to the balloon... and not the balloon to the line... so you can guess where it broke...

Oh well... took a nice flounder outa there otherwise...

Cheers
Ted

JohnR
07-19-2002, 04:55 PM
Ted, welcome aboard...

Everything I'm hearing of late is live-lined scup or pogies :D - I've only fished that area for all of about an hour but there are a couple BB people around here...

likwid
07-19-2002, 05:03 PM
Live-lining scup has always been a great trick if you're in a harbor for a night on a boat.... just set the balloon with about 5 feet of line to it and let the scup do its scuply things until mr. hungry tank comes along and gobbles him up ;)

Not like they're hard to catch....

Slipknot
07-19-2002, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the site Likwid.

Smokey
07-20-2002, 12:25 AM
Hi Likwid,
The word out to catch fish you have to be out past chaddom and in over forty feet of water. Try trolling bucktails with wire. Eels at night were there is a drop off would be my gess. I just got back from the ditch with nothing. The resident fish are not co-opperating.

kippy
07-20-2002, 08:19 AM
Hi Ted, welcome aboard!

John brought up a good point regarding livelining scup. I have a friend that went on a charter out of Falmouth a few weeks ago, He said the boat caught 26 stripers livelining scup. I guess the boat had 2 and 3 fish on at a time.! I guess I shouldn't have overslept for that one.

John, by the way, I was on a charter out of Point Judith last Saturday and caught a 38lb striper. We were trolling umbrella rigs around the SW ledge of Block Island when the monster hit. I tried to upload the picture to the site but it was too big. Any suggestions on how to decrease the size? Thanks

JohnR
07-20-2002, 09:40 AM
Kippy - Nice Fish :btu:

e-mail the pic & I'll put it up for you...

bloocrab
07-20-2002, 12:14 PM
welcome a-bored.....LIKWID :confused:

...watch out for the "Pink Elephants"....

kippy
07-20-2002, 06:07 PM
No problem John. I'll e-mail you some pics today.

Kip

kippy
07-20-2002, 06:15 PM
John, I do not see an icon that allows me to attach a file on e-mail. Please give me your e-mail address and I will send the pics from my yahoo account.

Thanks,

Kip
:confused: :smash:

Jenn
07-21-2002, 06:10 PM
25 years old (i feel old... am i old?)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! teehee.......:eek:

welcome aboard....:)