View Full Version : supersize me...

Diggin Jiggin
03-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I took some of the poppers and pencils I was working on before plugfest and supersized it for my canal gear.

The original poppers were around 2 3/4 oz. I lengthened them by an inch and made them a little larger around... The new ones are 4 oz and cast like a bullet...

There are my first epoxy sealed plugs. I had some systems 3 stuff from last year so I tried the clear coat on these as both a sealer and as the top coat. The smaller popper has a top coat of rodbuilding epoxy (Aftcote). Lots of experiments this year...

justplugit
03-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Nice DJ. :btu: Those magnums look awesome. :)

Diggin Jiggin
03-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Some squidly pencils.
The original one which was my plugfest contest plug was 2 3/4 oz, the new ones are 3.5 and 4 oz.

The yellow and white ones on the bottom are 4 oz, and the top two are 4.5 oz. I've been trying to what I could make in the 4 -4.5 oz range...

The 4 oz ones float with the head out of teh water by an inch or so and the 4.5 just barely floats... These go up and down more than side to side, and I really like the backwards look. I figure if bass are headhunters and that head goes up and down...

These ones were heated and epoxy sealed with mirror coat and have that as a topcoat also. When I sealed them I did not think to wipe the excess off. The wood really soaked it in and I did not think of wiping the excess off. When I went to assemble them the belly grommets would not fit but the wood really got hard so I think they'll be ok. Seems like you learn something every day doing this stuff.

NIB
03-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Nice, set the grommets in the epoxy sealer prime an paint over em one less thing to rust..
Barely Float should work perfect.
ur gonna need a stout rod to pop em.
U probably already do..
Nice butt eyes'.I invented that.:D
My thereoy on the eye's in the tail has always been thats the only part thats in the water.Gives em a easier target.
Everone calls em squid poppers.
I agree cause I'm tired of explainin.

Diggin Jiggin
03-26-2007, 06:10 AM
NIB, I thought you invented sarcasm :jester: I'll put the grommets in there when the epoxy is wet next time, thats a really good tip. I'm also going to thru drill with a bigger bit next time around, just so its easier to get the epoxy all thru it and it doesn't clog it up.

Ya, I 've got a few stout rods. I have a 1209 thats my go to rod for jigging, but this winter I built an xra 1205 specifically for plugging the canal and jigging metal in the 3-4 oz range as the tide dies.

It's rated to 5 but when I was test casting it I thought 5 felt a little too heavy on it. 4 felt ok, we'll see how it likes 4.5. Action wise the 1205 is probably too fast for walking a regular pencil but thats not how these ones work, just a slow up and down an some current is all these need, almost like jigging :D .

JFigliuolo
03-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Here's an epoxy seal tip...

1. Get your plugs heating as usual.
2. Mix your epoxy, whatever flavor you like... I use famowood bar top epoxy.
3. Add equal amount denatured alcohol to the mix. ie 20cc resin, 20cc hardener, 20cc alcohol.
4. Use two cups and pour the epoxy and don the through hole etc...
5. Hang to dry.

I get excellent penetration, it's relatively fast, and can do 12-15 plugs at a time.

Heat your plug as usual.

NIB
03-26-2007, 07:54 AM
NIB, I thought you invented sarcasm :jester: I'll put the grommets in there when the epoxy is wet next time, thats a really good tip. I'm also going to thru drill with a bigger bit next time around, just so its easier to get the epoxy all thru it and it doesn't clog it up.

Ya, I 've got a few stout rods. I have a 1209 thats my go to rod for jigging, but this winter I built an xra 1205 specifically for plugging the canal and jigging metal in the 3-4 oz range as the tide dies.

It's rated to 5 but when I was test casting it I thought 5 felt a little too heavy on it. 4 felt ok, we'll see how it likes 4.5. Action wise the 1205 is probably too fast for walking a regular pencil but thats not how these ones work, just a slow up and down an some current is all these need, almost like jigging :D .

Ya lami's rod ratings are total BS.
They rate the gsb 132 1m at 4-12 while I think the rod starts to cripple at 4 oz..
The rod for them is a GSB 136 1MH.trim it off the butt to suit ur lenght.This rod is very similar to the 1209 AS with maybe just a little more flex thru the blank.
I find the longer u get the better the rod for pencils..I have a purglass I got from tobias that will cast those.The problem with the canal is finding room behind u.
I have also found there is is a point of deminishing returns in this matter.Just because the pencil is heavier it does not necessarily make it go further.
I would bet I can cast my 3.25 almost as far as anyone can cast a 4.5.Take one of the smaller of the 2 Hawg hunters copy that make it 3.25.
It's a rocket that works with 2 fingers on the rod.
The heavier lure drops faster.
The problem lies in the equipment it becomes to specialized to work just the larger lures..
On the thru holes I go whatever the front grommet size is.
Go to a craft store u can get a bag of long pipe cleaners for a few bucks.I use these to work the epoxy thru the thru hole..
Did u use red cedar I like it better for pencils it keeps the front lighter (makes em work better)an it really sucks up the epoxy sealer.
They basically become indestructable.Ya it's more work but if ur making ur own why not.U will be happy with em..

Diggin Jiggin
03-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks Guys, more stuff to try...
Clocks ticking now and there's still way too much on the list.....

And Tony, you are dead on with the room to back cast. I fish right opposite where I saw you and Slip last fall and when the tides up I gotta wear boots and be in the water to cast a 10'.