View Full Version : Effectiveness of "RED"

fcap60
03-26-2007, 10:37 AM
I was watching a few fishing shows on TV this weekend, when a commercial for red fishing line (I think Cajun line) came on and state how it is "scientifically proven" that the color red dissapears in the water and then went on to promote the cajun line.

Ok, so if red dissapears in water, then why is red found in so many lures, porkrind trailers, cod jigs, bluefish jigs, and, of course, wehn fishing tube and worm rigs ?

If you say that it's the sandworm that attracts fish to the tube and worm and not the tube, OK, then why not use chartresuse or some other color instead of red. Anyway, this is not a post about tube and worms, but what's your opinion about "red" dissapearing as a color in the depths ?
Thanks

5 String Bass
03-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Good question, I have thought about this contradiction myself. Any thoughts out there? Is Cajun line just a marketing ploy? I've heard of folks having good luck with the stuff, but I havent used it myself..

Mike P
03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
I think it's bull. Red doesn't disappear--it turns black ;)

40' down in the Canal, I catch as many fish on red jigs as black. My biggest bass last year was caught on red--hooked right in the jaw. If it's so invisible how do the bass find it? :huh:

If they pick it up with their lateral line, why do I almost never foul hook one :confused:

fcap60
03-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Good point Mike P. - and that's exactly the point of this post.
It always helpful to hear from those with some hands-on experiences.

any more thoughts, theories, or experiences out there ?

MakoMike
03-26-2007, 12:13 PM
As Mike said, red doesn't "disappear" it looks like black. Just another marketing ploy.

Swimmer
03-26-2007, 12:32 PM
The color disappears not the object itself, such as line in this case. Actually the red lines, or red objects turns gray then black. It just happens to be the first color in the spectrum of colors to lose its color as it decends in the water column. Red is attractive to the buyer of lures thats why its marketed so heavily. :btu: Its perty........

ProfessorM
03-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Sounds like the PT Barnum theory again

fishdog13
03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
surface tension vs contrast. = odor vs taste ?:wid:

Jenn
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=38620

:faga:

Backbeach Jake
03-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Unless it's flourescent red. Then it maintains it's redness for 25 feet or more.

MakoMike
03-27-2007, 01:02 PM
I just noticed that the cajun brand was bought out by Shakespear, I guess their marketing hype worked!

fcap60
03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Jenn:

Looks like you already explored this issue. Interesting point, though

pbadad
03-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Frank: I posted a reply earlier on this question. red line is translucent. Light flows through it. Claims are that this appears to be invisible. Red hooks, lures, tails etc. are opaque. Let doesn't go thru. Make it appear attractive. Whatever it's popular in the Gulf.

Skitterpop
03-27-2007, 04:32 PM
red or dark pink or lighter pink is killer some nights

for various complex reasons Im` sure

gone fishin
03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
That Cajun red line is something else again. I bought a spool of it to use on convench gear for leaders - 40 lb. test. It is the only line that I have ever used that is so stiff it picks up memory layin on the ground. :fishslap: Also is a bear to get a smooth clean knot. I started the season already by slicing my thumb on the damn tag end of my knot. I left just a bit too much.:as:

Bass Babe
03-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Underwater, red rays filter out the quickest and fade out entirely at a depth of 14 feet. Orange and purple rays disappear below 45 feet. Yellow is visible to 90 feet, green to 110 feet, and blue to 180 feet. Colors below their visibility range show as grey or black.

Thanks, limnology.

If red line supposedly works so well for this reason, why not just use greyish black line?