View Full Version : John and Elizabeth Edwards

BigFish
03-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Put your political viewpoint aside for this one......I must say how much I admire the courage of John Edwards and his wife Elizabeth! She is again fighting cancer and from what they are saying.....this one has no cure! Very sad indeed, however they seem to be approaching this with a positive attitude! I saw them on 60 minutes last night and all I can say is my heart goes out to them! I wish them well!

bart
03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
breast cancer, or any cancer for that matter sucks!

I plan on doing the 3 day walk this year with my GF....

fishpoopoo
03-26-2007, 04:12 PM
"the cancer is not curable but treatable."

am i supposed to read between the lines here?

sad.

if i was in john edwards' shoes, i wouldn't bother running. i'd retire and spend as much time with my soulmate as i possibly could.

that's just me, though.

Mike P
03-26-2007, 04:25 PM
if i was in john edwards' shoes, i wouldn't bother running. i'd retire and spend as much time with my soulmate as i possibly could.

that's just me, though.

My wife bleeds so "blue" that she's probably never voted for a single Republican in her entire life.

She thinks that Edwards is a total skunk for not dropping out of the race :af:

She hasn't liked the guy from the very first time she heard him speak.

Nebe
03-26-2007, 04:29 PM
no way in hell i would put my career in front of my dieing wife :hs:

Raven
03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
he thought being a VP was in the bag and has never been willing to throw in the towel since.....even now....

he's got money and is young.... enough....
to return to political life later

BigFish
03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
I asked put your political viewpoint aside! I must say I respect their decision....it is theirs and theirs alone and who are you Mike to question it? They believe it is the way they want to approach this time of their life.....they may decide different when her health, God forbid, declines! I wish them the best in however they choose to spend the rest of their lives! Did you see the 60 minutes piece last night? I believe that given certain circumstances she may well outlive her husband, her children.....who knows? He could get hit by a bus tomorrow or suffer a stroke! All they are saying is that tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us......terminally ill, healthy......for any one of us it could end in a minute! All they are trying to do is live as normal a life as they can given the circumstances!

Done here.....I try to never get into politics......it always gets messy and personal and I don't really give a fly about anyone elses political viewpoint any more than I want anyone else to know mine!

stripersnipr
03-26-2007, 05:23 PM
At the point in time that they stand on a podium together to announce that he is continuing his campaign for president despite her illness; they have chosen not to put politics aside. I wish her the best.

spence
03-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Elizabeth Edwards is a very ambitious woman on her own, and a very public cancer survivor. Granted her outlook isn't great but what's she supposed to do? Go home, crawl into the corner and wait out her days?

If she can battle cancer and fight in the campaign then more power to her. It's not my business how they choose to deal with their issues.

-spence

Saltheart
03-26-2007, 06:29 PM
God bless her. Whatever they decide is OK with me. It just may be that she insists he runs. When people are dying , you never know what tack they will take. Whatever they decide , the public should understand. I didn't say agree , I said understand.

Mike P
03-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm a voter, Larry. I have every right to question the judgment of a man running for the highest office in the land, and who puts his ambition ahead of his wife's well being. It's not partisan. I don't ever disclose my political affiliation, or lack thereof. I used my Democrat wife as an example to show how it's not a partisan issue.

My wife would tell me the same thing his did--go on. But no matter what she told me, I'd put her interests ahead of mine.

She is a brave woman. This isn't about her.

spence
03-26-2007, 07:02 PM
and who puts his ambition ahead of his wife's well being.
That's a judgement you're not qualified to make :think:
-spence

BigFish
03-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Mike....the words came right out of her mouth on 60 minutes....I am guessing you did not watch it? You are viewing this with a political slant and not a human slant! You can't just respect their decision and wish them well?

BigFish
03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Also....what do you want them to do....roll up the tents and just sit around and wait for the disease to take her? That is exactly what they said they did not want to do! That is an attitude I could appreciate in a President and his First Lady!

Backbeach Jake
03-27-2007, 05:31 AM
The Edwards have certainly had their share of woe in their lifetime. I think his wife's a peach, has her head on straight. She doesn't look stoned or like she's just toughing it out 'til cocktail hour like the rest of the candidate's wives.

03-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Well he surely has the money to get her the very best treatment. I just hope the doctor has good insurance.

fishpoopoo
03-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Also....what do you want them to do....roll up the tents and just sit around and wait for the disease to take her? That is exactly what they said they did not want to do! That is an attitude I could appreciate in a President and his First Lady!

Larry, presidential campaigns are grueling propositions that can put enormous strains on vigorous and healthy couples. It is a huge roadshow and you're constantly under the spotlight.

It doesn't get any better in the White House - look at how past presidents have aged. I wouldn't take that job for any amount of prestige or desire for power.

The time Mr. Edwards spends campaigning is time that could be spent living and loving while the clock is ticking...and...while Mrs. Edwards is still reasonably healthy. I just shake my head and wonder if I can think even less of him for putting his career ahead of his wife.

Again, this is just my opinion ... life is just too short to be chasing fleeting ambitions.

fishpoopoo
03-27-2007, 08:10 AM
anyways, if it was my wife, there would be only five words on my mind at the moment.

let's
have
wild
monkey
sex

Raven
03-27-2007, 08:15 AM
of course then again he could be fulfilling his wife's wishes. :read:

and yeah ole georgy bush will look like a friggan ghost
before he gets back to the ranch...

Raven
03-27-2007, 08:19 AM
and Ben does it have to be in a tree to be wild?
:kewl:

*was looking for a clause in my home owners policy on falling from trees..

RIJIMMY
03-27-2007, 08:37 AM
I’m glad this is being discussed, I have some “real life” experience to add.
Just some news to all of you: VERY few cancers are curable, most are treatable.
Having gone through this with my Dad and now my Mom, I can tell you it is living hell. You never get straight answers, you can never plan anything, every day is uncertain. An example…tomorrow (weds) is my wifes birthday, we asked my Mom to go to dinner with us, she wont know until late Weds afternoon. Why? She is getting chemo today. She has no idea if she will be able to walk, eat, or even function. This is the TREATMENT, not the disease that incapacitates you. My question is….do the Edward’s have any idea what the future holds? How can you be on the campaign trail and still provide care and support for someone going through this?
I agree that cancer should not define your life, but…..time is the most precious thing, not careers. He is young enough to run later. I believe it is honorable to pursue dreams and carry on with plans, I just don’t know how they can do this without sacrificing the more important things in life.

stripersnipr
03-27-2007, 12:07 PM
And now Tony Snow's cancer has recurred. I watched him make a very thoughtful and kind official Whitehouse statement about Elizabeth Edwards a day or two before they announced his own cancer issue. Best wishes to Tony also, he's a class act.