View Full Version : Mass. Rules and Regs In Regards To Lettering Your Truck!

BigFish
03-28-2007, 06:41 AM
Anyone give me the lowdown on lettering my truck with the BigFish Bait Co. name? Do I need to register it as a commercial vehicle?? Any police out there that could chime in......Swimmer....I am fishing for you!:huh:

wheresmy50
03-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Couldn't "Big Fish Bait Company" just pay/ask you to advertise for them? Maybe that depends if you're incorporated.

Raven
03-28-2007, 07:46 AM
he's friggan rich.... :D

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/oldcar.jpg

BigFish
03-28-2007, 08:00 AM
I see alot of say...Charter/Guide Services with their windows done with no commercial plates.....is the rear window different?

Also....why is it when I buy a truck the dealer can put a tag on the tailgate advertising their dealership yet I can't advertise my own business on my own vehicle???

stripersnipr
03-28-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm not certain but have been told that temporary signage (magnetic) doesn't fall under the same rules as permanent lettering.

Raven
03-28-2007, 10:01 AM
the small business administration
might be able to set the record straight.

not that these class acts here aren't correct.

Swimmer
03-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Larry, if you are required to letter your truck the letters can be no smaller than two inches and must be visible from sixty feet, thank you.

This means temporary sign (magnetic) or not.

Dont do magnetic they get stolen.

Raven
03-28-2007, 10:49 AM
to my trash service guy about his business sign on his truck...

and whats required ect. he was saying that it's not really written down anywhere (the rules) and very obscure (my wording) or unclear...

further stating.......
that a registry cop can pull ya over anytime they please to check and see if you have your fire extinguisher , chock block, flares ect. and everything else required to be in a commercial vehicle.

i mentioned to him that his sign... is unreadable because its on the side of his truck and too small for anyone to read from a distance
and he agreed....with me.

Swimmer
03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
It very clear to me about the sign requirements. It used to be a $1000.00 fine. But it was lowered to a more appropriate $35.00. Not any registry officer(now trooper) can pull a truck over. The officer has to be a truck certified at the state police academy.

I believe what your waste guy is talking about is anyone driving a truck with a certain gross vehicle weight rating 5000 lbs. for a moving violation can be asked if he has fire extingisher, chocks, flares and if not that can be added to the citation.

capesams
03-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Larry..call your car insurance co./agent or the RMV...rules have been changing the past few years.

like you can sign it,but you do need comm. plates, but don't need comm. insurance cause your just using to come and go from work..

Swimmer
03-28-2007, 04:16 PM
The rules haven't change, but very few officers would bother with that as far as should you be registered commercially if the commerce your involved in pertains to a Bigfish Tackle.
For the record......we were instructed at in-service training if someone is driving down the road advertising on any vehicle then they have to be registered commercially regardless of size. The vehicle doesn't have to be large enough to require a CDL license. I stopped a motorcycle a few years ago that was placarded (HAZMAT) he had a small amount of nulclear waste that he was transporting to his company to be disposed of. Will anyone catch this, there is no commercial MC plates. Regardless of what everyone or anyone thinks the advertising is "in the furtherance of commerce", the advertising is "commerce". I wouldn't be surprised at some point in time if an insurance company new someone was involved in a business and wouldn't pay a claim if there was a crash.
Don't check with your insurance company they don't know squat when it comes to the law. I stop vehicles that are registered for 5000 lbs. but you need a Class B license for the vehicle, which means it has at least g.v.w.r. of 26,001 lbs or more. The truck I am thinking of had a G.V.W.R. of 50,000 lbs. and was only registered for 5000 lbs. Anyone can walk into an insurance agency and the agent or its employee will do what you ask. They want your money. We were also told to go after the guy who drives down the road with a couple of yards of sand, ten bags of concrete and tools in a truck with dried concrete covering truck if it has a PC plate on the truck,because it is painfully obvious he is a mason. I don't know of anyone who has done that though. Calling the RMV isn't such a bad idea but the chance of you getting the right answer there is slim and none also. And just because they say it one thing and you find out it another is no defense to any citation you get based on something an RMV employee gives you. You have to remember an RMV employee who answers the phone is probably a secretary or clerk, not a lawyer. Just because they answered the phone doesn't mean they have any training whatsoever in law. There is only one lawyer that works at the registry and you'll never get close to him. You may get to speak to his aid like I do once in a blue moon, but you'll get no closer than him.

Larry is anyone going to stop you I doubt it. If you were going to get stopped it would have been with an oil tank in back going to the disposal business not because you are transporting all that wood. Besides I don't think you'd find a judge that would fine you for advertising on the side of your truck if you did get a ticket. Just use everyones favorite defense, "I didn't no". :angel:

One more thing. To register a motor vehicle to a business you have to be incorporated in Massachusetts........Anyone can register a truck commercially to your given name. Its cost $125 to $135 buck for your size vehicle.I would think. And you'd be covered.

BigFish
03-28-2007, 09:30 PM
But Frank does the law read that the lettering be on the doors or the tailgate or does it include the rear window?? I don't want to "letter" the whole truck....just a small stick on "BigFish Bait Co." about 15" x 15" on the rear window?:huh:

jim sylvester
03-28-2007, 09:32 PM
But Frank does the law read that the lettering be on the doors or the tailgate or does it include the rear window?? I don't want to "letter" the whole truck....just a small stick on "BigFish Bait Co." about 15" x 15" on the rear window?:huh:

I don't see a problem with a sticker on the window.....if it was a walking billboard on the side of the truck...probably a different story

capesams
03-29-2007, 06:15 AM
I also use to reg. my station wagon comm. because it was cheaper..all you had to do was keep the back seat down and carry no passanger's.
I was stopped by a state copper on the highway cause I had comm. plates on a car....he put me the front seat of his car and called it in..wasn't he surprised when they called back and said let him go...I'll call my auto insurance co. for answers.. not the cops.

Raven
03-29-2007, 07:28 AM
to quote Capesams

"I'll call my auto insurance co. for answers.. not the cops." :btu:

and by the way any truck Larry gets into "is" a 5000 lb vehicle :rotfl:

BigFish
03-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Still not hearing about the window as opposed to the side panels, doors, tailgate.....there has to be a difference cause I see windows done all the time, no commercial plates!? I will call insurance co. today....maybe stop by police station too!

Mr. Sandman
03-29-2007, 07:35 AM
This demonstrates what is WRONG with this state and its insane thirst for big liberal government. Who gives a $hit what you put on your personal car or truck? I would just do it and ignore any of that. If you get pulled over keep your mouth shut and pay the ticket but I doubt anyone bothers you. If they do they have some real problems

That said, you may want to consider getting a comm plate and deduct the cost of the vehicle as a business expense. Also, if you get an Excursion (giant SUV) I think you can get a tax credit!

mrmacey
03-29-2007, 10:43 AM
I want you to arrest a DTE inspector she told me to take my breakaway plastic window pins out and replace them with cotter pins with pull rings so I ask how do you keep them from falling out she said just bend the ends over, ok 1st week in lady rips her jacket on the cotter pin wants me to pay for it not only that she made my vehicle a saftey hazard the metal cotter pins wont break like the plastic ones can you see the vehicle flipped filled with smoke someones tring to kick out the emergency window it wont budge because it got metal pins in Man I hate the state and its stupid regulations now I have to go to a hearing and waste time and explain the dangers of this non sense Big Fish I would advertise all over that with no commercial plate the Money you make might be alot more than the stupid $35.00 fine!!!!!!!!!

wheresmy50
03-29-2007, 11:16 AM
When the cop pulls you over, suggest that he leave you alone and instead focus on actual crime.

They love that.

In all seriousness, and no disrespect meant, police manpower is a valuable and limited resource that's probably best allocated to things other than vehicle lettering.

Swimmer
03-29-2007, 03:23 PM
I just read your post on the pins. Are those plastic pins factory installed? And I am not completely familiar with the breakout windows that your talking about. They are the same as in buses I would assume, yes/no? I will be glad to find out anything for you about it if you wish. One more question, is this female a DTE employee/inspector that just inspects bus type transport? I know a trooper who does just buses, everyday all day all year long, so I can check for you. PM me if you wish and I'll see what I can find out.

Swimmer
03-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Larry, still talking about the legal lettering if in fact it would be required. Then the required lettering would have to be on both front doors as I stated previously not less than two inches in height and visible from a minimum of sixty feet.

I wouldn't worry about it though. None of the guys I work with even know about required lettering. Besides your truck is under the minimum DOT truck weight standards, so that any concern in that regard is needless.

Put what you want where it will look best for your needs.

I think it admirable your concern for doing everything right.

BigFish
03-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks Frank! Thats all I am trying to do....I don't want to get pulled over, fined and what not! :thanks: