View Full Version : Canal stalwart passes on

Swimmer
03-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Anyone who fished the rock outcropping a few hundred feet from the railroad bridge knew "Ron" / "Ronnie". He had a laryngectomy years ago and used a handheld mike to speak where his stoma is. Always had his bike and gear in the same spot. A six pack of Miler-Lite and his three custom made canal rods nearby. His full name was Ronald Dwight Jones Sr. and he was 68 years old. I know the canal rats know Ronnie but most everyone else probably doesn't. He was surivived by several children but no services were planned. His ashes are to be spread on and around "Ronnie's Rock" just up from the railroad bridge.

JohnR
03-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Anyone who fished the rock outcropping a few hundred feet from the railroad bridge knew "Ron" / "Ronnie". He had a laryngectomy years ago and used a handheld mike to speak where his stoma is. Always had his bike and gear in the same spot. A six pack of Miler-Lite and his three custom made canal rods nearby. His full name was Ronald Dwight Jones Sr. and he was 68 years old. I know the canal rats know Ronnie but most everyone else probably doesn't. He was surivived by several children but no services were planned. His ashes are to be spread on and around "Ronnie's Rock" just up from the railroad bridge.

Go Large Ronnie!

stiff tip
03-28-2007, 07:01 PM
thats ron jones..... i know him and his son... to bad nice guy....

Mike P
03-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Springwater Ron, as he was known to the Lepers. Of course, the water came from Smirnoff's spring.

Like many of the old Lepers, Ronnie was a little rough around the edges but had a heart of gold.

Sad to hear another part of my past has gone :(

RIP Ron.

Slipknot
03-28-2007, 07:55 PM
:( That is sad
too bad
seemed like a nice guy the few times I came across him.
sorry to hear this

gone fishin
03-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Is this the same person who fishes the basin where the tankers offload on the east end? If so he was a real good guy. Took plenty of fish also.
May he rest in peace.

missing link
03-29-2007, 05:55 AM
I 've was lucky enough to fish beside him a couple of times he would be drifting chunks standing on that rock like a mountian goat ,I'd be jigging downtide from him ,he always hooked up and he gave me a 28" fish, he didn't want me to go home empty handed ,Nice guy he'll be missed.
Link Sr.

ProfessorM
03-29-2007, 09:11 AM
RIP. Sorry to hear that. P.