View Full Version : Things I've learned about Stripers...

likwid
07-21-2002, 08:27 PM
That nobody should forget...

They're lazy... not schoolies though... they're kids... they have energy to burn off, keepers are lazy bastards, why work when food can come (float/swim) to you?

They're not always lazy though, I've numerous times caught good 20lb Stripers that decided to cruise through a harbor looking for a quick meal. (Hadley's Harbor, Vineyard Haven, Cuttyhunk Harbor, Padanaram, Red Brook Harbor, you name it... they're there)

They're smart... Im almost skeptical using spiderline all the way down to the hook, can they see it? I'm ready to switch to short 60lb shock leaders this being my first year on spiderline...

When they're hungry, they'll eat anything and everything, see the listing for Stripers in the back of The Compleat Surfcaster for an example. (They left out lobster, which the bass club on Cuttyhunk used to use for bait for Stripers)

They're real picky when they aren't particularly hungry... "Hmm, nah... I don't want Menhaden today, although a nice Mackerel would be nice since they're around."

They love Sow & Pigs.... Especially the old sow... I've lost count of the number of boats that have hit that boulder now...

Moving water? Lets find boulders to hide behind then when we're caught on a line... HIDE UNDER THEM! WHEEE!

They always show up when you're not fishing... About 6 years ago was doing beach runs picking up hi-fliers with a friend who commercially lobsters offshore... free hi-fliers rule.... well bouncing onto the backside of Pasque to pick up a hi-flier... a massive school of cows erupted maybe 5 feet from where i stood on the waters edge and plowed a school of bait... i'll never forget that scene...

And to finish this up

They taste damn good and are definitely alot of fun to catch.

:)

Anyone else feel free to add random thoughts on bass.

Cheers
Ted