View Full Version : COD not bass

stiff tip
04-02-2007, 04:48 AM
where do we start cod fishing ????? i was told that the south east side of stellwagon was good fishing at this time of year,, and also east of p-town around 200 ft.. i have always fished east of chatham..and dont know chit elis.... i,m looking for some idears or a boat to fish around with...do you guys know about where the big fish fleet fish at this time of yr... help....

Backbeach Jake
04-02-2007, 05:13 AM
I'm gonna try Truro this weekend. It's been a long time.

striprman
04-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Not to spam, but

I believe Captain John starts their cod trips (inshore), April 11

stiff tip
04-02-2007, 12:45 PM
i dont know if cod fishing is even worth the efford .... to bad i had some great days jiggin cod out of chatham..... i would leave riders cove at 5am start fishing about 7am and hope to have400 lbs by 10 am.. fish all day, both tides, then try be back at the ramp by 4pm to unload at the fish market ,,,, on a good day w/ two or 3 hands maby 6to800 lbs cleaned and iced dwn in tubs n totts.... you know i worked my assss off cod fishing, but i made a buck and had a ball doing it... not like today. day boats go out and scratch around all day for 1 or 2 sm schools of cod fish.... its a shame.. i know how fun it was.....mabe my grand children may see it .... but i dont think i will see the good days of cod fishing like the late 60s to early 80s again....... pardon me i,m startin to wimper...

big jay
04-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Stiff tip -- up on the flats just NE of the SW corner and then near the BE are two good places to start looking. Once the water warms up a bit and the sandeels get going, the cod will be all over the bank chasing them. You can still get good #'s right on the bank (well, 10 fish per man north of the 42 degree line - depends on how many guys you have).
We launch the 15th and then have a bunch of trips scheduled starting the 21st. I'll have a good read on them by then- message me around the end of the month, I'll point you in the right direction.

BrianS
04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
headed out on the yankee fleet this saturday... weather permitting

i just want some fish for the fryer.... cod/haddock/whatever

Flaptail
04-03-2007, 07:30 AM
i dont know if cod fishing is even worth the efford .... to bad i had some great days jiggin cod out of chatham..... i would leave riders cove at 5am start fishing about 7am and hope to have400 lbs by 10 am.. fish all day, both tides, then try be back at the ramp by 4pm to unload at the fish market ,,,, on a good day w/ two or 3 hands maby 6to800 lbs cleaned and iced dwn in tubs n totts.... you know i worked my assss off cod fishing, but i made a buck and had a ball doing it... not like today. day boats go out and scratch around all day for 1 or 2 sm schools of cod fish.... its a shame.. i know how fun it was.....mabe my grand children may see it .... but i dont think i will see the good days of cod fishing like the late 60s to early 80s again....... pardon me i,m startin to wimper...

Dave in 85' we were already spending weekends on Crab remember? Glo tubes and wd-40. No channel markers in Pleasant Bay and only a dozen seals on the bar at Chatham Inlet.\

"Who getz the BL*w Job?" could be heard all the way back to Nauset

600 lbs average dressed out gutted and gilled and Seagull blasting with my wrist rocketn and 3/8 hex nutz when they got too close.

That was fun.

stiff tip
04-04-2007, 02:48 AM
steve.... power jiggin, hand lines than cod rods/reels ....15 to 30 + lbers. the boat all fish guts ... and a long tail of seagulls following ,to prove it was a good day.. thats was small boat cod fishing.

keeperreaper
04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Stiff Tip,
I'll be heading east for cod real soon. Pm if you want to buddy up or come along for a ride. I have some numbers east. Might also try 2 other areas I hit the past few years with decent results.