View Full Version : hooks for beachmaster cowboys

jim sylvester
04-02-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm sure that some of us out here got some cowboys over the weekend from the saltwater edge

does anyone know what bobby recommends as far as hooks on these monsters....

5/0 looks like a good fit

siwash or flag on the back?

cut vmc's like the rest of his recommendations or are split rings fine.

thanks

jim

tobias
04-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I think Bobby prefers 3 cut VMC's trebles. No siwash on the back. I think this is what I heard. I forget the size.

Nice meeting you on Friday:wave:

Andy

jim sylvester
04-02-2007, 03:30 PM
good meeting you as well

man, 9 hooks with a pissed off large scares the hellout of me

tragedy waitng to happen

luds
04-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I went with cut 4/o's and a 7/0 vmc stainless siwash on the back.

numbskull
04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
They don't need a tail hook.

MAC
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM

That is how I like them. 4/0 VMC on belly and some bucktail on the rear.

Flaptail
04-02-2007, 04:10 PM

Bingo!:bl:

In The Surf
04-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Bingo!:bl:

Jim this is the way to go.

Cut 4/0 4x on the belly swivels and a flag on the tail.

Plug color determines the bucktail color.

luds
04-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Guess i need to cut off the tail hook. At least I already have the teaser on it.:tooth:

Does having a si-wash on the back really make that much of a difference in action on these or is it more of a personal preference thing?

NIB
04-02-2007, 05:07 PM
3- 4/0 trebles tail treble with some bucktail on it.

In The Surf
04-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Guess i need to cut off the tail hook. At least I already have the teaser on it.:tooth:

Does having a si-wash on the back really make that much of a difference in action on these or is it more of a personal preference thing?

Mike what you do with the tail is more of a personal preference thing. I have several rigged each way but may trim or swap em' at some point. Most strikes occur at the head or mid body as most of my plugs tell me by the nice arches worn into the paint around the belly hooks so why have a tail hook that can hang up and cost me a decent fish or complicate unhooking it.

NIB
04-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Hooks are good.If I could put more hooks on em I would.I gaffed a personal best for Digger he caught on one of my big danny's.The only hook holding it was the tail hook.Sure the front hook gets most of the play.I have landed fish that I know the front hook let go an the plug was held on by the tail hook.Only to have the front hooks get rehooked somewhere else on the fish..Only time I like a flag is with a plug that might struggle when I want to creep it on top.The cowboys will struggle but thats not really what they are intended for.

Steve K
04-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I use two 4/0 belly hooks and siwash tail hook.

BassDawg
04-03-2007, 01:01 PM
The coolest part of gettin' to the show by 0915 waz that I was able to have me choice of the Cowboys, but even better waz being able to BS wit Bobby bout his lures and listen to his surf stories.

His rigging recommendations were:
1) Use, as standard, a 3/0 VMC 6x treble for both swivels; cut and attached directly to the belly swivels so as not to alter the action of the plug.
2) Use bigger hooks if the conditons/preference requires a slower plug (4/0's and up). I like the 4/0's the best.
3) Bobby's preference for the tail was a Single bucktail Siwash in white, though matching the plug makes sense.
4) Most importantly, for increased action, he puts a split ring in the nose loop and ties the leader directly to it. Should be most erratic!!

What a blast the whole show waz!!! Won't be long now, mi amigos.............................:jump: