View Full Version : party boat canyon trip

niko
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
just looking for some input from anyone who has done one. Hel H or Y.F.? how long is the run out ? an idea on suitable setup for out there. will a 30# class setup do or do i need to go a little bigger? how do they troll during the day? thanks, paul

Christian
04-03-2007, 04:58 PM
got the thingy in the mail today too?
im seriously considering the keywest style off shore trip, fishing for like 48 hours straight

ZuluHotel
04-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Fellas:

I've been on the trips, and have worked them for the last ten years on another of the headboats in the tuna fleet. Absolutely worth doing.

On the Helen, consider rentals--they have 50-class Shimano/ G. Loomis chunking sticks and lighter 30(ish) class jigging sticks. In short, their rentals are top-shelf. Use their stuff--it's rigged up right for the way they do it.

Important: book trips as late as you can in the season--maybe a couple dates--ideally in October. Weather's iffy, but the best chunk bite has been late in recent seasons, '06 in particular. The chunk is when you're likely to witness an absolute bail-job.

Typical routine involves trolling day one (rotation in half-hour shifts) to cover water and find best place to set up. Then set up around dusk, chunk, jig through the night. Then troll in the morning. If it's a 3-day (good trip if you've got the stamina), you'll chunk night two, then first-light troll back up through the slick.

Definitely something to do before you die. Key--to avoid "death" on the trip, is cramming in sleep whenever you can so you're alive when the bite goes off at 3 a.m. Feel free to call me at the office if you want some further ideas (860-572-0564).

Best,

Zach Harvey,
Managing Editor, Offshore Editor
The Fisherman Magazine, NE Edition

niko
04-03-2007, 08:25 PM
hi zach, thanks for info. i think the 3 day limited is what we're looking at. i'm pumped for this adventure. christian, what came in the mail today? regards, paul

GattaFish
04-03-2007, 08:33 PM
I am thinking I need to do something like that too,,,,,,Where do you find info on the boats,,,,

Christian
04-03-2007, 09:11 PM
schedules for the trips

:tm: