View Full Version : All things Scup....and Robins

Hooper
07-22-2002, 04:36 PM
Hi Guys-

Wondering if anyone has done much using live Scup and sea robins as baits.... I took a nice fish recently on a live scup and will try it again as live baits are hard to come by sometimes. I have also heard that sea robins are a good bass bait although, I cannot offer proof...

Any thoughts????

Thanks, Hooper:cool:

Scotch Bonnet
07-22-2002, 04:58 PM
All the rockpiles I fished this morning looked exactly the same on the fish finder. Bass on the bottom and scup suspended in the mid depths. Managed a nice bass on a popper above the scup. Theres a 10" minimum on scup in RI waters - 10 per day.

The Iceman 6
07-23-2002, 03:56 PM
Hooper, dunno about scup as striper bait but never heard of anybody using live sea robbins as striper bait, not saying people don't do it but I've "never" heard of anybody even mentioning it. However, if you are looking to try this method out go to Pennfield Reef (aka "sea robbin city"). Then again, I've never kept a sea robbin but I see some people actually taking them and eating them, apparently their tails suppossedly taste fantastic but it ain't my game. If you wanna try using live bait, my suggestion is striper candy = EELS. This is my 2 cents...

ICE

PS: We're gonna need a bigger boat...

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Hooper
07-23-2002, 04:27 PM
ICE-

I felt the say way about robins, but there was a guy on the docks the other day who had done very well with big bas using robins. Was wondering if I was the only one who didn't know about that.

Scup work well, but the damn dogfish destoy them as quick as you can send 'em down some days....

All for now, Hooper

PS Hooper is the name of my lab, and yes, JAWS is my favorite flick

GBOUTDOORS
07-23-2002, 05:31 PM
Welcome aboard Hooper. Yes scup work very well for large stripers but the best size bait is 6"-7" and in Mass. this would be an under size scup and can not be kept. They also work well on Blues and I have found many small half eaten scup in the boat after bringing in both blues and bass. They are easy to keep alive in a bait tank and will last for days if you keep the water fresh. If you do try the scup I like to cut off the back dorsal fin as this slows them down and helps the stripers to eat them. Now as far as searobins go I have never heard of them as a GOOD striper bait but they will eat most small fish if given the chance. How ever the scup is one of there canndy baits.

Nemesis
07-23-2002, 05:56 PM
The beaches down by me are littered with Sea Robbin heads. At first I thought it was some vengeful and stupid way to thin them out but guys were spitting the tails and using it. Some were cutting smaller strips of the white belly and took one or two keeper Fluke on them.

Then again, My Father-in-Law (1980's Polish Immigrant) took 4 stripers on the Delaware using. . . chicken livers.

Great board!

btw: good to see you are doing well Saltheart, for someone I have never met or spoken with, you have taught me a lot! ;)

JohnR
07-23-2002, 07:55 PM
Hooper & Nemesis - Welcome to S-B....

Hoop, you're the one from CS, right? Nice ride :D

Nemesis, Saltheart has been doing that for a lot of people for years :btu:

Nemesis
07-23-2002, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome John

:)

Great to hear about SH

capesams
07-23-2002, 09:22 PM
STILL won't tell ya where I fish:D

HI.........................Hoop!

capesams
07-25-2002, 09:24 PM
YES ......It's a little know fact that sea robins make very good bait for bass..One person this past weekend did very well in the rip's at mono. useing them. Most of the fish he caught were around 40".