Nebe
04-03-2007, 07:04 PM
:lurk:

luds
04-03-2007, 07:06 PM
watching best of season 2 right now.

Uncle Matt
04-04-2007, 05:37 AM
And I thought my job was tough at times....

JohnR
04-04-2007, 05:43 AM
I don't think that the Alaskan Crab Fisherman is the most dangerous profession. Its gotta be the Russian Crab Fisherman - drunk with far worse equipment :conf:

ThrowingTimber
04-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Did you see the pipe they ran on those dudes traps!! I almost fell off the sofa.

Uncle Matt
04-04-2007, 06:15 AM
But those Russian fishermen get to wear those kiddie arm floats while setting their traps!!!!!!!

Mr. Sandman
04-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Have you seen the show about the guys lobstering off the Grand Banks?...most to the boats are from our local ports on the show. Not as dangerous as the Alaskan King Crab shows but interesting none the less. It is a real war out there.

wheresmy50
04-04-2007, 07:23 AM
The difference seems to be that the Grand Banks guys are a-holes to each other and the Alaska guys are decent people - at least that's how they're portrayed. Ratty sweatshirts versus Under Armor. There's a social anthropology lesson there somewhere.

I didn't see the show, but it seems like "The Deadliest Catch" is a thing of the past now that each boat has a quota. If the weather's bad, they can just stay home for a day. I'm sure it's still cold and dangerous, but just not to the same degree.

striperman36
04-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Although they all have ITQ's they still have to catch the quota to keep it.
Don't think they just stay in port, it still can be 40 hour days.

They should do Bristol Bay derby fishing that is intense.

JFigliuolo
04-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I definitely found it much more entertaining when it was a derby. Quota's, while safer, suck for entertainment purposes.

GregK
04-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Love the show.

Silly question, where could I buy a live Alaskan King Crab. Live near Boston. Maybe JHook?

Gloucester2
04-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Silly question, where could I buy a live Alaskan King Crab. Live near Boston. Maybe JHook?

Alaska - with your own pots. There is no live market for KC

chris L
04-04-2007, 03:01 PM
The difference seems to be that the Grand Banks guys are a-holes to each other and the Alaska guys are decent people - at least that's how they're portrayed. Ratty sweatshirts versus Under Armor. There's a social anthropology lesson there somewhere.

I didn't see the show, but it seems like "The Deadliest Catch" is a thing of the past now that each boat has a quota. If the weather's bad, they can just stay home for a day. I'm sure it's still cold and dangerous, but just not to the same degree.

its a north east thing to be an asswhole . go anywhere else in this country ( besides cali ) and you will find some really nice people and friendly too . but here its just the opposite . Just look at this site : someone gives their opinion on anything and people jump down their throats and start crap . why ? cause its the north east and we are too concerned with ourselves and only our opinion counts .

Bob Thomas
04-04-2007, 03:14 PM
its a north east thing to be an asswhole . go anywhere else in this country ( besides cali ) and you will find some really nice people and friendly too . but here its just the opposite . Just look at this site : someone gives their opinion on anything and people jump down their throats and start crap . why ? cause its the north east and we are too concerned with ourselves and only our opinion counts .

Shaddup, Chris L.....we're not all touch-holes. Why don't you just sit on it ;) ;)

I liked the CG footage...not something you saw a lot of. Seems like they have cameras on a lot of boats but are only featuring a few. Going to be a different season!

On a side note, anyone know what ever happened to "Bink" from the first season? He was the one the deckhands said was a jerk but caught a TON of crab....never saw him again.

chris L
04-04-2007, 03:24 PM
oh OK bob !

JohnR
04-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Chris - you are cordially invted to shut your pie hole - how's that for New England niceness? :wave:

nightfighter
04-04-2007, 03:41 PM
can't believe I fell asleep.... is there a second showing this week?

johnny ducketts
04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm sure on Sunday, you can probably catch it again. Bob,The captain's name was Bing. I served as an observer on his boat for 3 weeks back in 2002. Man he was one hell of a captain, one of the best boats I had been on when I was up there. I was wondering where that boat was myself.

fishaholic18
04-04-2007, 04:28 PM

Ain't that the truth..

wheresmy50
04-04-2007, 04:33 PM
I lived in Mass for 5 years, CT and RI for 2. Recently I was talking to a customer about the differences between Texas (where he lives and where I lived for a short time) and the northeast, and it really is night and day.

It's too bad, because otherwise New England is a great place to live.

Tburg
04-04-2007, 05:45 PM
I beleive they named it Deadliest Catch cause its not the Deadliest job per the stats. Tower Climbers and erectors have the title..

chris L
04-04-2007, 05:47 PM
but i dont eat pie

Terence
04-04-2007, 09:15 PM
First episode was lame .Hope it gets better.
PS I hate Sigs brother too.

GattaFish
04-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I lived in Mass for 5 years, CT and RI for 2. Recently I was talking to a customer about the differences between Texas (where he lives and where I lived for a short time) and the northeast, and it really is night and day.

It's too bad, because otherwise New England is a great place to live.

Your not kidding,,,, People are very friendly in TX. So are the women.... I have been working for a company here for 3 years and have had a lot of fun being a single guy with lots of good looking women around.. oops,, can I talk like that here,,,,.But I do have to say the Dallas/Ft Worth area is the only place I know where they build houses without kitchens,, j/k... I have never seen so many restaurants that are busy all the time... It is amazing....

Never the less I sure miss the fishing in CT New England and BI... Can't wait to get back there and start fishing this summer and fall,,,, It seems like my many 2 1/2 week trips go by way to fast....

fishonnelsons
04-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Will be interesting to see how the new Captain does, forgot his name but he's the kid who got P.O.'ed last year when the Cap told him he had to wait alittle longer.

I know it's "reality" TV, but when he called the other Cap's to ask what's happening, where to drop, etc. I said get real, as if his old Cap, who still ownes the boat, didn't give him some real good spots, advice and guidance. Sure all the Caps get along well, and would always come to each others rescue, but when push comes to shove, and they have to fill their pots before the storm, watch-out, every boat for themselves.

By the way, how did this thread get talking about us a-holes in New England?

Terence
04-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Sig must be short for cigarette. That guy is a chimney!

Swimmer
04-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Why is it that people from away think we are moody in the Northeast, :doh: :zup: . Unfounded rumor, me tinks.