View Full Version : colors for largemouth ??

Diggin Jiggin
04-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm making my dad 3 mini sized swimmers for largemouth. Any suggestions for colors ? I haven't fished freshwater since I was a kid and that was always just with mepps spinners & red devil spoons ?

Moses
04-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Dave - I still fish alot of fresh with my kids. Silver and yellow spinner baits, silver johnson spoon and frog colored hula popper/jitter bug are killers.

See pics from a saltwater jitterbug I acquired along the way. Same colors.

Moses
04-05-2007, 05:57 PM
One more shot of top side

BigFish
04-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Chartruese......pearl white!:eyes:

Diggin Jiggin
04-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Dave - I still fish alot of fresh with my kids. Silver and yellow spinner baits, silver johnson spoon and frog colored hula popper/jitter bug are killers.

See pics from a saltwater jitterbug I acquired along the way. Same colors.

Thanks Mike, that kind of looks like yellow perch colors... :btu:

Diggin Jiggin
04-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Mike, BTW, the ramps are not in yet...

Tagger
04-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Pearl White .. I do good with minus ones ...small lip swims 1' down ..

Diggin Jiggin
04-05-2007, 07:48 PM
thanks for the help guys.

Tagger I been playing with all kinds of little stuff. I turned some off centers stuff like PNG showed us that look like handcarved but I Think I have the angle wrong on the lip. I got it down a foot + but I haven't got the wiggle I want. Lots to learn still...

Tagger
04-06-2007, 03:51 AM
Tell you the truth I buy small Big-o types with the small lip in pearl if I can find them ... Do well on spinner baits too .. Black ya need 2 ,,,1 with colorado blades for big thumping pattern and 1 with willow blades .. I do the change up with those .. At night big fish baits as well as day .. Seems more humungus pickerel in day .. also later on Black 7" worms (the smelly cented ones ) carolina rigged..Those are my main fish baits.. I could do well with just those ...but enjoy the hell out of a zarra spook .. I haven't made any fresh water stuff because its so cheap and small . Trying to do all the fishing I like .. just ain't enough time .

NIB
04-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Charteuse,pearl white,An Black.

ThrowingTimber
04-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Dont overlook a baby bass pattern either. Light green belly dark green back, black horizontal lines in varying sizes across the lateral line :wave:

Largemouth hole I fish is a drop off in a ton of huge lillies cant go wrong with a pig n jig in there :smokin: :humpty:

The Dad Fisherman
04-06-2007, 09:56 AM
I'll tell ya...the past couple of years I've been hitting well on Dark Orange/Red w/ White Belly.

But Perch color and Baby Bass as stated before have always been good to me

Diggin Jiggin
04-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys, if I can get my mini offcenter stuff swimming right I'll try some of those...

Here's what i did yesterday... Kind of funny. very Scaled down versions of some surf classics... they swim unbeleivable, just hope a fish will hit em on top.

gldnbear93
04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Those are sweet!
I did a small danny and a small pikie about that size last year. I was testing the danny out before sending it to NC and a 3 lb largiemouth inhaled it. Shocked me and the old guy at the end of the pier.
The LMB will devour those!
Beautiful!

ThrowingTimber
04-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Maybe jigman will chime in but he's made some nano pikies about the size of dime I think.

Jigman
04-06-2007, 02:15 PM
clear water, try wonderbread.

Most of my smallmouth plugs are scaled down versions of my striper plugs. Smallies will inhale pikies, dannys, pencils, poppers, etc. on top no problem. Have caught pickeral on them when I went north and others have done pretty well on them.

Jigman

Jigman
04-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Maybe jigman will chime in but he's made some nano pikies about the size of dime I think.

Yep, 1 1/4 inch long, 1/16 oz. bluegill knock the snot out of it. Had a few smallies hit it too.

Jigman

Tagger
04-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Geez ... those look good .. Like the little danny .. salt - fresh .. thats a switch ... I'm going to try that .. thanks .

bassbuster
04-06-2007, 08:16 PM
well i think i can help!
see i gave up fresh water for striped bass.
i would use a light gold pearl paint/ siler. like the shiners you see in the bait stores i think there called.
never used anything for freshwater except minnies for live bait.
ok one time i used a live toad but thats another post in its own!

Diggin Jiggin
04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I finally got 2 of my off centers swimming right, funny how a small change to the lip angle can make such a difference. I never would have thought you could do this on the lathe... I love the shape of these things.

I gotta take a break from plugs for a while but when I get a chance to get back downstairs, P nut bunker and herring are gonna be first up...

One of you suggested baby bass so I tried that, fun to try anyways..

Diggin Jiggin
04-08-2007, 08:05 PM
forgot to mention, these are floaters but they go a foot or so down on a slow retrieve...