View Full Version : hi new here just got new boat 2

mrmacey
07-23-2002, 04:26 AM
hi im new at boating and striper fishing i need any help with how to i dont know lingo so it kind of needs to be spelled out we all started somewhere im going to be putting boat in plymouth was down newport over week end didnt catch anything im very eager to learn i love fishing so im asking for help everywhere is learning about jigging the best way to go or is bait better and what kind do i use jigs,bait ,ect!!!!!! hope to see you out there thank you for any help!!!!!

JohnR
07-23-2002, 07:26 AM
What kind of boat do you have? Where do you live & fish? What kind of gear do you have?

GBOUTDOORS
07-23-2002, 11:23 AM
Like john asked what size and kind of boat? You said you were in Newport this weekend and are going to Plymouth this coming weekend so I take it you must trailer ? I am in the New Bedford area and would be glad to help you out in the area if you should wish to fish it. What is your home town? Right now cut bait is the best bet but if you like to troll there are plenty of good spots in the south coast area giving up fish at this time!

mrmacey
07-23-2002, 03:27 PM
thanks im new to this chat im trying to learn this too!!! well i have 20 ft seamaster 210ff i got one rod with penn senator reel assorted striper blues hooks ihave one butterfly trolling rig with 5 eels on it and 1 big squid lure with 2 hooks thats about it for now im not buying more till i find out whats the right stuff im going to be trailering it to plymouth its the closest to me i need to know basics on striper fishing never could catch one!!!!!!

fireguy
07-23-2002, 07:11 PM
I fish the Plymouth Harbor and Long Beach areas. I only use artificials. When I'm trolling I use 24" to 36 " 4 ounce weighted tube (orange or red) with 7" white forked tail pork rind. Occasionally, I will troll 3 or 4 ounce bucktail jigs again with pork rinds.

The best trolling times are on the outgoing tide starting 3 hours before low tide. There are some shallow channels that run from the outer harbor into the shore. They are often refered to as the Cordage and Nelson Beach Channels. They can be tricky to navigate and are quite narrow.

There are schoolies to be taken on the Kingston and Duxbury Flats early morning using top water plugs.

Trolling Long Beach late in the day is usually productive.

I have been catching Blues regularly at Brown's Bank at all tides. Use extreme caution navigating around this bank. It is shoal water with many hidden ridges. It also big, covering 15 acreas of exposed and shallow water hazards. Don't even think of trying to cross even on high tide.

Good Luck and bring your $5 launch fee when you come to America's Hometown.

mrmacey
07-24-2002, 03:27 AM
thank you for help i will be fishing plymouth this weekend see what i can do i will be staying in deep water cause i dont know my way around out there ill be monitoring 16 allday my boats name is stacey anne anyone want to give me a shout good luck out there thanks again!!!!!!

fishsmith
07-24-2002, 02:16 PM
mrmacey,
Are you new to trailering a boat as well? I only ask because Plymouth is very busy on weekends and fairly difficult for newbies unloading/loading the boat, this is only because they do not have docks to tie the boats off to.