View Full Version : How do you make a tuna-type cedar plug?

Bob Senior
04-05-2007, 09:00 PM
In particular, is the lead head made in a special mold? Does it stick into the cedar body, or is it glued onto it?

I wanna make up a bunch. I guess the best thing to do is buy a couple and take them apart.

Does anyone know where to get the lead heads for them? I've searched Do-it molds and all over Google and Yahoo and can't find any mention of them.

Help!!!!!

saltyric
04-06-2007, 05:37 AM
The ones I have used have a 1/4" (approx) step in the lead that fits inside an "under cut" in the ceder plug with a press fit. Once the get wet a few times the lead can slide in and out.....although I don't think a little epoxy would hurt. You'r best bet would be to make your own mold out of a mold blank........Just my 2 cents....

Hilo_Kawika
04-06-2007, 09:14 AM
One simple approach might be to take the appropriate size egg sinker and cut it in half. Then insert a brass tube into the egg sinker and epoxy the tube into your cedar lure body.

I use these "half-eggs" as tail weights for some of my small tuna chuggers. Let me know if you want pictures of the jig for cutting the egg sinkers...

Bob Senior
04-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks, guys. I think I'll do the egg sinker trick. I've already turned about a dozen bodies.

Bob