View Full Version : Arrested for writing on a desk

UserRemoved1
04-06-2007, 04:40 AM
WTF

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_095170448.html

I gotta say I agree with the mother. FOUR cops, handcuffs, etc etc for writing on a DESK? :smash:

Make the kid clean every desk in the classroom after school. I can't believe they wasted time doing this. Buncha jackasses.

UserRemoved1
04-06-2007, 04:43 AM
This moron SHOULD have been arrested.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/dispatch/content/local_news/stories/2007/04/05/subteach.ART_ART_04-05-07_E1_AV69UG3.html

The Dad Fisherman
04-06-2007, 08:37 AM
This moron SHOULD have been arrested.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/dispatch/content/local_news/stories/2007/04/05/subteach.ART_ART_04-05-07_E1_AV69UG3.html

Just think....after work you can probably pay her $250 an hour to put clothespins on her "lips"

Mike P
04-06-2007, 09:58 AM
The NYC Board of Ed is totally out of control.

When my wife taught in NYC, she had a kid put his mouth 2" from her ear and yell "Eff You" at the top of his lungs. Her hearing was affected for six weeks afterwards. That qualified as an assault and battery in my book. Not only was the kid not arrested, or even suspended, she had to threaten to resign to get the principal to transfer the punk from her class.

But write on the desk--heavens, we can't have anyone defacing school property. Apparently a desk is more valuable than a teacher's hearing :rollem: :af:

Swimmer
04-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Police never should have been called

daceman63
04-06-2007, 11:18 AM
over the top. even if it was graffiti all over the desk just make them clean it off......

I have no idea where reasonableness has gone....

MakoMike
04-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Common sense ain't so common

Redsoxticket
04-06-2007, 12:31 PM
What if the thirteen year old wrote on your truck, car or house ?
There is no difference !
Stop them in their tracks and teach them a lesson.
This thirteen year old and others will probably be better students as a result of this incident.

Raven
04-06-2007, 06:02 PM
when i was takin french in jr high:
i so hated the class that i pried the desk off its pedestal with my knees
carried it over to the window and dropped it outside...
and the teacher didn't even say a word.... :hs:

WoodyCT
04-06-2007, 08:35 PM
It's educators like these that give teachers a bad name. It's too bad. Most of us care deeply about kids. Many of us have dedicated our lives to making a difference one kid at a time. I cringe everytime the media uncorks another sex scandal or administrative over reaction to something so harmless as an elementary student accidentally bringing a pair of nail clippers to school. That nail file coulb be deadly you know!

afterhours
04-07-2007, 06:41 AM
unreal - principal should be beatch slapped for using such poor judgement. police should of laughed it off and not responded if they were told about this desk writer......waste of officers time and taxpayers $$$.

Swimmer
04-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Once the department is called they have to respond regardless of what the call entails. The only time they can get in trouble is if they dont respond. Dog call, speeding car long gone call, whatever. If the desk costs over $250.00 its a felony. Might have been a problem child that is allready in the system to begin with.

Parents probably failed the child before the principle did.

Mike P
04-09-2007, 01:03 PM
If the desk costs over $250.00 its a felony.

Not in NY at age 13. She should have been recog'd to her mother's custody with an appearance ticket for Family Court.

But, it's not the police dept's fault. If the principal insisted on an arrest, they really had no choice. The smart thing to do would have been to call a Sgt. or Lt. down and have him talk it over with the principal, then call the mother down to the school. There's a right way and a wrong way to handle something like this--and I'm sure that if they went thru the entire school, they'd have found hundreds of other desks defaced worse than that.

The Board of Ed isn't going to replace the desk--I can guarantee that. If what she wrote was just "Okay" they won't even sand it out until the end of the school year.

Rappin Mikey
04-10-2007, 09:53 AM
LOL! You should see some of the desks in my school. I work in an inner-city alternative school. We have a full-time cop at the school as many of our students are gang affiliated or have been adjudicated for drug or weapon offences. The police, not the principal, has the discression to make an arrest. I've personally heard the captain tell my principal if one of his men sees a student breaking the law, they MUST make the arrest. 99% of the police I work with have the best intentions, and I don't think the media always gives an accurate discription of events that occur. I gotta say, for things I see kids getting arrested for, this is an absolute joke. I also gotta say, I sure am glad the boys in blue are around some days.

Tagger
04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
show me a kid that never wrote on a desk ... mostly love sick teeny boppers .. rediculous...

UserRemoved1
04-16-2007, 04:40 AM
For your reading pleasure/disgust TODAY

Kindergartner Charged With Felony Tantrum - Desre'e Watson, Avon Elementary School

You know your kid's school has problems when the adults can't control a 6-year-old and have to call the cops to handcuff her and haul her away. Here's more on the sad story of Desre'e Watson from The Slate (Link includes police report):

On March 28, Desre'e Watson, a 6-year-old kindergarten student at Avon Elementary School, had a bad morning. She cried. She wailed. She kicked. She scratched. She hit a teacher. That's what the police say, anyway.
The police? That's right. To subdue the unruly kindergartner, school officials phoned Avon Park's police department ("committed to enhancing the 'Quality of Life' of the community"). When the cops arrived, young Desre'e attempted to resist arrest by crawling under a table. But Avon Park's finest pulled her out, cuffed her, put her in a police cruiser, drove her to the county jail, and charged this 50-pound menace with a felony and two misdemeanors.

WoodyCT
04-16-2007, 10:15 AM
What has this nation come to???