View Full Version : Sometimes we take things for granted........

BigFish
04-06-2007, 09:25 PM
I was in a doctors office yesterday and I was looking through a pile of magazines for something to read and came across a National Geographic.....always something good to read in those. Now, I always thought I new what the soldiers in Iraq (or soldiers anywhere there is conflict) were going through or fighting against. I figured sure....there are firefights, and roadside bombs or IED's (improvised explosive devices). Inside this National Geographic was an article about the multitude of injured soldiers.....many of those victims of those IED's and the incredible damage they cause to human flesh and how many of those injured soldiers are recovering and the problems they must overcome. The article also speaks of the great medical miracles available today in dealing with these types of injuries where years ago, many of these injuries meant certain death to soldiers. Long story short.....the article was quite graphic, the photos stark and sobering......and they made me realize so much more about the reality that these soldiers have to deal with on a daily basis........a very enlightening article to say the least.

justplugit
04-06-2007, 09:59 PM
You are right,taken for granted indeed ,Larry. We moan and groan

about the small stuff that amounts to nothing , everyday in our lives ,

only human i guess, while these guys, away from their families under

difficult conditions, face injury and death everyday. :(

Pete_G
04-06-2007, 10:12 PM
The numbers of wounded are staggering. I kind of think it's the most unseen horror of war for our side, considering how many are horribly injured in permanent life changing ways. I wouldn't say it's a hidden cost of war, but it's easily overlooked.

Backbeach Jake
04-06-2007, 10:16 PM
We have amazing means to save soldiers lives these days. That also means that more of these kids will live handicapped. Support them. Get on the horn or e-mail and demand that they are remembered by our government by our Senators and Representatives. They deserve nothing less than first rate care and rehabilitation.

BigFish
04-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah....and I been seeing these reports about the appauling conditions in our military hospitals......that should not be!:hs: :hs:

Skip N
04-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Yeah....and I been seeing these reports about the appauling conditions in our military hospitals......that should not be!:hs: :hs:

My buddy is in the Armys medical school program and spends time at Walter Reed, he and his buddys say that got blown WAY outta proportion. That had nothing to do with the hospital or the care the soldiers get. They get the best care in the world, dont think otherwise!

The issue was with the one of the buildings some of the out patients were staying at, not the hospital or the care the soldiers were getting. But tht building shouldnt have gotten that way i agree. But dont confuse that and think they arent getting great medical care!

fishaholic18
04-06-2007, 11:09 PM
. They get the best care in the world, dont think otherwise!

If that isn't the furthest thing from the truth...I know 1st hand...The care and coverage has been horrible for my step son.

Raven
04-07-2007, 06:15 AM
instead of discharging guys for stupid stuff....or keeping the brig full

they should be re-assigned to maintenance detail of these buildings.

UserRemoved1
04-07-2007, 06:59 AM
yep couldn't have said it better.

You are right,taken for granted indeed ,Larry. We moan and groan

about the small stuff that amounts to nothing , everyday in our lives ,

only human i guess, while these guys, away from their families under

difficult conditions, face injury and death everyday. :(

Skip N
04-07-2007, 03:20 PM
If that isn't the furthest thing from the truth...I know 1st hand...The care and coverage has been horrible for my step son.

I cant speak for any possible red tape and that kind of BS he might have gone through, but i have no doubt the doctors at Walter Reed did all they could to give him the best possible care., and most advanved medical care possible.

Why do you say the Army Doctors did such a bad job? I'd be curious to know what the doctors did that was so terrible.

basswipe
04-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Now, I always thought I new what the soldiers in Iraq (or soldiers anywhere there is conflict) were going through or fighting against. I figured sure....there are firefights, and roadside bombs or IED's (improvised explosive devices).

Please don't take this personally but that's the problem right now.Everybody "thinks" they know what our boys are going through and yet only those who've lived it actually know.No amount of magazine articles will EVER come close to the experience and fear that each soldier in that war feels or experiences.

My point BF is that after reading that article is you still don't know what our boys are going through.You have a well informed and possibly biased CLUE(depending on article/magazine) on what they're going through,but you just don't know.

In the end if you really want to know then you must go.

And to those who will jump on my response to BF please read it carefully first.There's no judgementalism going on here.I'm not saying I'm for or against,I'm just presenting a point of view that many don't consider which is that of the actual combatants.

BigFish
04-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Re-read my post....it said "I thought I knew".......however the article shattered that thought! You are also correct......one must be there to understand!

afterhours
04-07-2007, 04:45 PM
these men and women deserve the very best care we have period- they put their lives on the line for this country- any less is appalling.....

nightfighter
04-07-2007, 04:59 PM
We're doing a job at the house of a Marine's parents. He just got home in November and was just told he's headed back in December... I've had occasion to speak with him and his buddies about what the reality is. Take hygiene for starters. Can't believe that we can't get these boys and girls more than one shower every 7-10 days. His feet took months to heal after getting home. They told me that their group had 5 killed and eight wounded by snipers, while going to and from the showers! (only time they shed their body armor...)
As for medical care, stateside, I have been to WRMC visiting an injured Ranger I know personally. From what I saw as a layman, we're doing what should be done for them as far as inpatient care. That said, it was one of the more sobering experiences to see the horrific injuries we are bringing these soldiers home with.

doc
04-07-2007, 05:43 PM
i spent 6 weeks at walter reed (as a physician) and saw first hand the wounded...two things struck me that will never leave me...these soldiers are kids...i was amazed at how young some of them were...and second their injuries are devastating...when we read in the paper that 5 soldiers killed and 30 wounded i think we do as big fish suggested - take it for granted...because those 30 wounded are likely in horrible shape...and if one is not in the medical field i think it can be hard to grasp the life-long affects of these injuries...as these ied's get more sophisticated, the injuries become all the more devastating...

as for the coniditons there, i did not see what has been reported but that certainly does not mean that it does not exist...