View Full Version : trolling the gibbs gts, any info. I've never trolled wood

stripercrazy
04-08-2007, 10:36 PM
thinking of trying some trollers and was wondering how everyone fished them...leadcore/wire/braid...what was the best size 3oz...and what everyone best color was....did you troll them at nite or day, would love to hear some stories...thanks ed

Rick Ackley
04-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Because I like to "feel" the bottom with my rigs, I normally three-way a set up, light line tied to the lead, and a 10", (rod length) leader of flouro. This rig stays right behind the boat, depth is easy to accomplish with having 3-400' of wire, and as I an normally alone, fishing three rods, one on top, one on the bottom, and mid level, tangles are not much of a worry.

Flaptail
04-09-2007, 08:35 AM
If you can find some older ones with the original style GTS lip they are great plugs to troll on wire. The Gibbs guys are about to launch a new/old version with the original style lip instyead of the Danny lip that Jim G. went to when he ran the company. This will be a better plug than it has been for 15 odd years now.

Some guys I know throw the GTS in the surf ( the big one) and do quite well.

My biggest Bluefish came on a 3oz. Blue Mackerel GTS under a full moon in a raging Old Man rip sou'east of Nantucket back one September night a long time ago with Bob Peremian on his Fortier "Foolish Pleasure". The Bluefish weighed 23-2/4 pounds plus I had five large bass to 42 pounds and a bunch of smaller blues on it.

Best wire line fight I ever had.

stripercrazy
04-09-2007, 08:54 AM
I've notice the two different lips on a couple I got:wave:

Mr. Sandman
04-09-2007, 09:37 AM
The Gibbs guys are about to launch a new/old version with the original style lip instyead of the Danny lip that Jim G. went to when he ran the company. This will be a better plug than it has been for 15 odd years now.

Do you happen to know the time frame of this? Available this season?
Thanks in advance.

ProfessorM
04-09-2007, 10:29 AM
I too am going to put some effort in trolling some large wood. I will try some of my own though. I super sized the yellow Gibbs one, which I think is what you are talking about. I tried it last year on lead. It swam good so I made some more this winter. I tried a flattened head on a few too. The bottom one is for someone who wants to cast the thing. I also tried a few of the longer tailed Gibbs trollers, orig. at bottom. I need to paint and epoxy some of both styles in mack pattern for this spring still. Please show the 2 different lips if possible in a picture. thanks P.

Mr. Sandman
04-09-2007, 10:54 AM
I've done well with BM wood..B I G thick pikes you can't get your hand around. He made a few for me that troll very nice on wire. They are very consistant and are a pleasure to troll. IMO there is a untapped market for wood trolling plugs. You will like trolling wood on wire, few guys do it anymore. In the 60's and 70's that was the game, today you drag dredge of 9" shads that feel like you are reeling in a sea anchor. Wood swimmers give you that nice pulse action and attract plenty of fish with low resistance. Slow swimmers deep...that is the ticket. Make sure you are near the bottom. Then, make sure near the bottom again. Don't waste time trolling mid water depths....small fish and bluefish.
(I use a long heavy flouro leader so I avoid touching any wire. I reel the leader up onto the spool and then grab that. I normally split a 60' flouro leader spool on two rods.)...Use 6X VMC hooks or Owner Stinger trebbles and triple rings...end of hook problems.

stripercrazy
04-09-2007, 12:09 PM
heres a gts I judt finished..its got a A-40 nj lip and no lead

ProfessorM
04-09-2007, 12:13 PM
The original I have has an A-40 lip. I made my own lips shaped like the a-40 but bigger. I added a belly weight a little forward of the middle. Nice job.

vineyardblues
04-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I have used the large GTS 3,3/4 11 inch on wire and got more fish from a boat then any other large plug, CCBC masterlure etc.
Brown was the color that worked the best for me :tooth:
VB

ps Paul....looking good kid!

stripercrazy
04-09-2007, 03:48 PM
whichone's older I would have guessed the mac but after reading flaptail's reply ..its the yellow one...or do I got it wrong

stripercrazy
04-09-2007, 03:49 PM
:gu:

capesams
04-09-2007, 04:14 PM
yellow one is the correct lip.

ProfessorM
04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah. The A-40 lip seems to be a perfect match. Thanks for the photo's. Chum is painting a couple of the super sized ones I turned, for me. I can't wait to see what he came up with. Ought to be interesting. I will post them when i get em. P.