View Full Version : This Imus thing

RIJIMMY
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I am a regular Imus listener. I have heard things on that show that have made me laugh so loud I almost got in an accident. They make fun of and insult EVERYONE. I can't belevie the controversy over his remarks are making such a big noise, the racism comments are ridiculous. Does anyone here watch the Chapelle show? South Park? Race is used as comedy all the time on these shows.
The only way race as an issue will go away is when we learn to laugh at each other and not let stupid comments make the news.

MrHunters
04-10-2007, 10:37 AM
agreed rijimmy.
when it comes to comedy no one should be untouchable. if one can't distiguish between this and real racism then we have a problem in society.

Black people can say bad things in reference to comedy about white people and it should be the same the other way around. Does anyone really think Imus is a racist... cmon, stop already.

Jimbo
04-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I could not agree more RIJ. While Imus' statement could indeed be categorized as racist, I don't think it was racially motivated and that makes a big difference. Many talk show hosts in general push that envelope and everyone laughs, even if it's a guarded laugh. If you've ever heard some of the stuff Leno says, looking right at Kevin Eubanks and he never comes back and cries racist, nor does anyone else. I think Al Sharpton felt he hadn't been in the limelight in a while and Imus was his perfect opportunity. I didn't see the Rutgers Women's basketball team's press conference, but I was curious their response. They certainly weren't that verbal about it up to that conference.

ThomCat
04-10-2007, 10:49 AM
There's another thread pertaining to this down in the S-B sports forum, check it out:af:

RIJIMMY
04-10-2007, 10:58 AM
THomcat - why the angry post......

Duke41
04-10-2007, 11:00 AM
What a tempest in a tea pot. The guy has a great shpw. Sharpton is an racist and a liar (Brawley) Its obvious he hates whites. There is a double standard being used here, yet again. I have zero guilt about what happened in the past...get over it.

Raven
04-10-2007, 11:15 AM
i wanna make a nappyheadedho picture with a black imus playing basketball against those girls... but i shall restrain myself.

i think Imus does many good humanitarian things that far outweigh
the goof he made... saying that, since he wasn't really in a comedy sketch ...but hey they're all goofin on each other and crackin jokes
more than anythin else... and when john kerry blew his chance of re election by uttering "study hard or you'll get sent to Iraq"...he wasn't asked to resign as Senator. :hs: i hate al shapton and jesse jackson... they chase prejudism like ambulance chasin lawyers
so bad..............................
they're makin a livin at it :devil:

Swimmer
04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
You might not like the comment, and I find it somewhat distatsteful, but nonetheless its free speech. He is an entertainer, not an intellectual. Howie Carr like......

In retrospect my distaste had to do with how I knew it would be accepted by americans of african decent. They would howl and demand justice. So I suppose my initial interpretation was somewhat shallow, because now that I realize this words/phrase is quite common in the black community. So if blacks can say it, so can IMUS.

And it sickens me to hear Sharpton called reverend. Sharpton I don't believe ever went to college. No college, no degree in theology. No right to call yourself reverend. We have a kid in Whitman trying to take over a local church. Calls himself a reverend after attending a six-week bible school in the Berkshires.

stripersnipr
04-10-2007, 11:37 AM
We live in a world full of double standards and political correctness run amok. All we can do is reject those ideas and do what we feel is right. If it offends anyone, too damn bad.

RIJIMMY
04-10-2007, 11:45 AM
You might not like the comment, and I frid it distatsteful, but nonetheless its free speech. He is an entertainer, not an intellectual. Howie Carr like......

Swimmer, I think you hit the nail on the head. he is being judged as a journailist, not a comedian. Al Roker has an editorial on MSNBC.com saying he should be fired. Lets ask Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock, or other blac comedians if what he said is wrong.
We are talking about a guy that calls Cheney "a lying Fat Bastard". Have you ever heard the Ray Nagin routines?
If you dont like what he says, dont listen to the show. Its that simple.

mosholu
04-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Considering the climate I think he got off pretty lucky. The guy is an intelligent guy and it amazes me that he can not see that he is just playing into the hands of the extremists on both sides when he makes comments like that. However if there is free speech he should be able to say what he wants and the marketplace will decide if he should be penalized. I think if we are honest with ourselves and we were the parents of one of the Rutgers' players we would be pretty upset and hurt.

RIJIMMY
04-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Would you be upset and hurt? I learned a little something in first grade which I would share with the rest of america..
"sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"
WHo cares what people say, whether its race, religion, politics, looks. the racism card gets too much play. If I was a parent of a kid on teh rutgers team , Id say "F him, my daughter is great and nothing will ever get in her way in life. "
Thats what builds character, not whining about other peoples thoughts and comments.

RIJIMMY
04-10-2007, 11:55 AM
This is the best, Kurtz appears regularly on Imus' show. I think the Jews should ask for an apology,,,

Howard Kurtz, media critic for The Washington Post and host of CNN's "Reliable Sources," said Imus is known for his comedy, but "his comedy too often strays into the offensive."

Kurtz, whom Imus once called a "boner-nosed, beanie-wearing Jew boy," said Imus should be held accountable for his remarks, "but there is also a good side to Don Imus, and I don't think that should be completely obliterated in all of this chest thumping."

The Iceman 6
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
"Would you be upset and hurt? I learned a little something in first grade which I would share with the rest of america..
"sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me" Who cares what people say, whether its race, religion, politics, looks. the racism card gets too much play. If I was a parent of a kid on teh rutgers team , Id say "F him, my daughter is great and nothing will ever get in her way in life. "
Thats what builds character, not whining about other peoples thoughts and comments."\

We'll said RI Jimmy...we'll said.....

pmueller
04-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Swimmer, I think you hit the nail on the head. he is being judged as a journailist, not a comedian. Al Roker has an editorial on MSNBC.com saying he should be fired. Lets ask Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock, or other blac comedians if what he said is wrong.
We are talking about a guy that calls Cheney "a lying Fat Bastard". Have you ever heard the Ray Nagin routines?
If you dont like what he says, dont listen to the show. Its that simple.

Worse than that, what Sharpton is saying is because he uses public airwaves, he can't say those things. Imus is being juged in my opinion as a politician who can't say anything wrong.
I'm sure he regrets what he said, if he loses his job, he'll never forgive himself. Lets see Sharpton pony up for all those kids with cancer then.

MrHunters
04-10-2007, 12:26 PM
patrice oneil, a black comedian, today on sean hannity said, and this pretty much sums it up,calling these girls nappiheaddedho's is much different than calling them nappiheadded athletes.
meaning one of the two is quite racial while the other is just said in fun. plus having an old guy say nappyheaded ho is pretty funny in and of itself.

patrice also said that he wants white people to be able to say this type of stuff so he can continue to make his white jokes.

i couldnt agree more.

MrHunters
04-10-2007, 12:35 PM
i i hate al shapton and jesse jackson... they chase prejudism like ambulance chasin lawyers
so bad..............................
they're makin a livin at it :devil:

those two say more racist things that anyone.

something about the pot calling the kettle lavender.

woh i just went through a whole bunch of colors in my head before i found a neutral non racial color. :rotf3:

PaulS
04-10-2007, 12:36 PM
"Would you be upset and hurt? I learned a little something in first grade which I would share with the rest of america..
"sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me" Who cares what people say, whether its race, religion, politics, looks. the racism card gets too much play. If I was a parent of a kid on teh rutgers team , Id say "F him, my daughter is great and nothing will ever get in her way in life. "
Thats what builds character, not whining about other peoples thoughts and comments."\

We'll said RI Jimmy...we'll said.....

If you call your wife a ho tonight, you'll prob. have some broken bones by morning.:uhuh:

Raven
04-10-2007, 12:43 PM
don't strain your brain now :rotf2:

Raven
04-10-2007, 12:52 PM
i hope the southpark gang jumps all over this....:uhuh:

hearin them kids sayin nappy headed ho will be awesome

it would also make a bitchin badass song for the rappers
or one of them bands....

it's gonna go huge... someones gonna grab it !
and make it the catch phrase of 07 in a song.
this i predict... it's way to catchy

nappyheaded cabbage patch dolls... :btu: lol :spam:

Backbeach Jake
04-10-2007, 12:58 PM
those two say more racist things that anyone.

something about the pot calling the kettle lavender.

woh i just went through a whole bunch of colors in my head before i found a neutral non racial color. :rotf3:

But then you got onto sexual preferences....see how goofy this whole thing is? Just words said in jest. Mean nothing at all. Who cares what Imus said, his words carry no real weight.

mosholu
04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Back to RI Jimmy: I would not want my kid being called a whore by a national media personality. And while I hope she would shrug it off and consider the source I do not think it is very nice. And this is not the end of it. They will be called that at games for the next few years. That being said if Imus is to go down the same standard should apply to all music types both rappers and metal who go around calling people whores etc. The standards should be applied across the board.

ThomCat
04-10-2007, 01:57 PM
THomcat - why the angry post......
Maybe I used the wrong icon. I'm not angry but more like in shock that these two nitwits (the revs) are trying to be representitive of of an entire race because they are an embarrasment to that race. If you read my comments on the S-B Sports forum, I made my sentiments pretty clear. The more I think about it though, the more I think that Jackson & Sharpton are actually benfitting Imus from their blatently racist bully pupits. Although it seems as though it would be impossible to generate any sympathy for Imus at this time, these guys, with their off the wall antics and accusations, seem to be working the best they can to do just that!!

Tagger
04-10-2007, 03:44 PM
I believe the comment was Nappy Ho's refferring to a college girls team .. Don't sound right period...nevermind coming from an old rotted white guy with a cowboy hat .. Imus sux ... Howard must be loving this .. Heard Howie Carr is ..

Raider Ronnie
04-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton are 2 of the BIGGEST racist on the planet !!!

Redsoxticket
04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Maybe I used the wrong icon. I'm not angry but more like in shock that these two nitwits (the revs) are trying to be representitive of of an entire race because they are an embarrasment to that race. If you read my comments on the S-B Sports forum, I made my sentiments pretty clear. The more I think about it though, the more I think that Jackson & Sharpton are actually benfitting Imus from their blatently racist bully pupits. Although it seems as though it would be impossible to generate any sympathy for Imus at this time, these guys, with their off the wall antics and accusations, seem to be working the best they can to do just that!!

Those bold letters, there burning my eyeballs to the point that I can't comfortably read your posts.
Bold letters means like your screeming

spence
04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
So what does this say about race relations in this country?

Heck, I thought things were pretty well...and this is how much difficulty we have dealing with the off color comments of a known irreverent satirist?

I was happy Imus was defending himself on NBC this morning against Rev. Sharpton...but enough is enough.

These smart and talented women who make up the Rutgers team should state without question..."sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"...and stand up for themselves.

They have accomplished far too much to let the media take their second place finish away from them.

-spence

ThomCat
04-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Those bold letters, there burning my eyeballs to the point that I can't comfortably read your posts.
Bold letters means like your screeming

Let me apologize for the bold letters as I don't mean to burn any parts of any contributor here. I have poor vision (understatement) and I do it for my own benefit as it makes it easier to review what I've posted. I'll stick to the standard type from now on as I don't have the defensive resources to be screaming at anyone. Please judge me on what I say rather than the manner in which I deliver it:grins: .
P.S. How 'bout them Sox today, eh!!!!:cheers:

Nebe
04-10-2007, 08:08 PM
What we have today is reverse racism and especially reverse sexism. Look at the feminist movement. In the art world, gallerys always have womens shows that only show the works of women. Try doing a man only art show and the critics will hang you out to dry as a chauvinist pig.

Like someone said above, if Dave Chapelle said the exact same things Imus did, people would be laughing thier asses off...

Joe
04-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Too bad he's sober - could have blamed it on the booze, checked into Betty Ford and gotten around it...
So much is orchestrated these days - I'm not so sure this was not on purpose. If the show stays on the air, I'll be certain it was. Two days before this happened I was watching him and thinking how stale the show had become.

MrHunters
04-10-2007, 09:14 PM
What we have today is reverse racism and especially reverse sexism.

no such thing.. racism is racism and sexism is sexism. it is raceless and sexless

Skip N
04-10-2007, 11:26 PM
I found it funny watching some of the rutgers players/coach say how offensive his comments were toward woman. I'm sure most of these girls listen to rap music and watch MTV, Ever see how much these rappers trash and degrade women!? Thats the norm in the Rap/MTV culture. But somehow thats ok, but when Imus says it, he's a racist monster! Its quite funny if you really think about. This selective outrage.

mdrew9
04-11-2007, 06:22 AM
I happen to think Imus is a racist. What he said was ignorant. He feels some sense of entitlement because he lets minority kids come to his "ranch" and do work. I wouldn't mind some free labor either. HOWEVER, Jessie Jackson and Sharpton have a much bigger problem with racism, but for some reason its acceptable. Dave Chappelle is obviously comedy, can anyone seriously Imus has a comedy show? Its a stretch if you do. Even if it was his comments weren't necessary towards Rutgers.
He even went on to Sharptons show and called himself a "cracker" while I find humor in the fact that he doesn't know that "cracker" is an offensive comment towards white people. I'd like to slap him for that.
Should he be fired this? No, suspension is probably warranted. However, he probably should be fired because his show is horrible and no one listens to it.

fishpoopoo
04-11-2007, 07:41 AM
if i were one of the players on the rutgers team i wouldn't want to be referred to as a nappy-headed-ho.

it's one thing if you're poking fun but there was no real reason for imus to say that on the air (there was no punch line or humor value in that - it just wasn't really all that funny).

i don't think that imus is a hatemonger but he made a mistake ... only a black guy can call them "nappyheaded ho's" :jester: and get away with it ... it is what it is.

while some bad publicity is sometimes a good thing ... when you have sponsors leaving the show that is a bad thing net net.

The Iceman 6
04-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Good article about it in NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04112007/news/columnists/the_civility_squad_skirts_the_rap_rats_columnists_ michelle_malkin.htm

stripersnipr
04-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Imus has done the right thing by apologizing and there is little more he can do. I do wish he would take a minute to press Sharpton for an apology for some of his blatant acts of racism though. Freddy's Fashion Barn massacre and the Tawana Brawley incident come to mind.

PaulS
04-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I found it funny watching some of the rutgers players/coach say how offensive his comments were toward woman. I'm sure most of these girls listen to rap music and watch MTV, Ever see how much these rappers trash and degrade women!? Thats the norm in the Rap/MTV culture. But somehow thats ok, but when Imus says it, he's a racist monster! Its quite funny if you really think about. This selective outrage.

Isn't there a difference b/t saying Skip N's post is stupid and shows a lack of intelligence and saying some of these posts are stupid and show a lack of intelligence?

Raven
04-11-2007, 08:57 AM
i very much agree......but to add to your post....
Imus likes to think of himself as a BRUTHA - sometimes...
and he's like ever too cool

when he's sh#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and jivin with Snoop dog or who ever...

because of his past experiences with Cocaine which he never lets us forget :rtfm:

it might explain his inclination to try and talk like a Rap artist... does on their albums....

stripersnipr
04-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Isn't there a difference b/t saying Skip N's post is stupid and shows a lack of intelligence and saying some of these posts are stupid and show a lack of intelligence? = Chumming for a brawl.

Skip N
04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Isn't there a difference b/t saying Skip N's post is stupid and shows a lack of intelligence and saying some of these posts are stupid and show a lack of intelligence?

Call my post stupid if you want, but you can't argue the fact that in todays black/rap culture, callng woman bitches and hoes is the norm. And treating woman as nothing more than sex objects in thier music videos is also cosidered ok and normal. Where is the huge uproar about all this? Why are they allowed to treat women like %$%$%$%$? And knowone cares! :doh:

Got double standard?

PaulS
04-11-2007, 09:42 AM
I have no double standard b/c you won't find me standing up for Imus, Opie & Anthony, Stern, rappers, talk show hosts who think yelling louder than someone else is proving their point, calling someone a bad American b/c they have a different viewpoint, etc.

The point was that Imus specifically called an identifable group of people (the Rutgers woman) nappy headed Hos, while the rappers the players may listen to are not identifing specific people (and I'm not sticking up for the rappers).

PaulS
04-11-2007, 09:44 AM
= Chumming for a brawl.

No b/c I wasn't commenting on Skip's post perse. I was comparing the difference b/t making a general statement and being specific.

fishpoopoo
04-11-2007, 09:46 AM
he called a bunch of college kids "ho's" in a public forum.

what if one of your daughters was on the team?

stripersnipr
04-11-2007, 09:54 AM
he called a bunch of college kids "ho's" in a public forum.

what if one of your daughters was on the team?

I'd be totally p/o'd and seeking damages. No excuse for Imus' actions or many of Sharptons actions. Both need to be held to the same standards of decency.

Andy D
04-11-2007, 10:07 AM
You bet there's a double standard, Just heard that pac- man Jones is suspended for 1 yr, for his Criminal Behavior. Next I hear that if he does not get ARRESTED between now and the start of training camp he has a chance to shorten his suspention. They want to fire Imus no second chances for making an assinine mistake. And the captain for the Rutghers Basketball team said they are making a stand for women Everywhere . So why don't they stand up against the degrading lyrics by the rap culture towards women ?

rivsie11
04-11-2007, 10:12 AM
D & C cited this column today. I think the columnist sees things pretty clearly.

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

Skip N
04-11-2007, 10:18 AM
And the captain for the Rutghers Basketball team said they are making a stand for women Everywhere . So why don't they stand up against the degrading lyrics by the rap culture towards women ?

BINGO!!! Thats exactlly what i'm saying. But it aint gonna happen.....

Bronko
04-11-2007, 10:22 AM
D & C cited this column today. I think the columnist sees things pretty clearly.

I read that earlier. It is spot on. I love the fact that some in the black community are highly embarrassed by the race hustlers like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. And keep in mind, Whitlock is no "Uncle Tom" as they say... this guy has attacked the white media on subjects like Bonds and Artest on numerous occasions.

fishpoopoo
04-11-2007, 10:29 AM
So why don't they stand up against the degrading lyrics by the rap culture towards women ?

i'm sure there's no shortage of black feminists that decry hip-hop.

but ... hip-hop sells. :hee:

and i don't disagree there is a double standard and i think al sharpton and jesse jackson are a$$-clowns ... BUT...

...imus opened the door for the double standard to be exploited.

capiche?

Skip N
04-11-2007, 12:44 PM

Fantastic article! Right on the money

Mike P
04-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Ever listen to his show when they run a comedy bit where Imus comes across as a self-absorbed jerk? McCord and Bernie McGuirk write most of those bits. Do you think they're making it up about what a self-absorbed jerk he can be sometimes? ;)

ThomCat
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Ever listen to his show when they run a comedy bit where Imus comes across as a self-absorbed jerk? McCord and Bernie McGuirk write most of those bits. Do you think they're making it up about what a self-absorbed jerk he can be sometimes? ;)

NO!!!

mosholu
04-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Good article. I think he might have been too hard on the school and the coach. I wonder if they have agreed to this private meeting
in an attempt to difuse the situation and keep the private agitators at bay.
I think like all of us Imus has good and bad sides to his personality. I believe people in those media positions lose their perspective and sometimes they run riot over there common sense. I do think he is getting off lightly and should have been fined a significant amount of money.
This pacman jones suspension that was mentioned above was comical. You are arrested on five seperate charges in a year and you are not barred forever. The message this sends out to young people is appalling. .

kevin d
04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Before we throw Imus under the bus, is there any conclusive evidence that they aren't nappy headed ho's? I mean more evidence than Sharpton and Jackson had before crucifying the Duke Lacrosse team?

Just a thought........

PaulS
04-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Before we throw Imus under the bus, is there any conclusive evidence that they aren't nappy headed ho's? I mean more evidence than Sharpton and Jackson had before crucifying the Duke Lacrosse team?

Just a thought........

Was that suppose to be funny?

RIROCKHOUND
04-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Basturbed...
Dont throw stones from a glass house. you use EVERY anti-asian term you can, but because of your heritage is it ok? So if Imus called a bunch of older white guys something would it be a problem... this got so f'ing blown out of proportion when it leads on every morning 'news' show, WEEI, Scoreamfm, etc... sick of it!

kevin d
04-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Was that suppose to be funny?

Yes. I guess more sarcastic than funny.

Mike P
04-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Just a thought........

I think I read somewhere today that the average gpa for the whole team is 3.0. And they have a no-nonsense coach in Vivian Stringer.

Women's teams over every sport don't bring a tenth of the revenue to a school that men's football and basketball does. Unless the women's team in question is Tennessee or UConn. They don't get the academic breaks male athletes in the high revenue sports do. They're actually expected to be in class.

stripersnipr
04-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Charges dropped against Duke LaCrosse Players. It'll be interesting to see where the Reverends go on this one.

Jay Dog
04-11-2007, 08:23 PM
While all this is going on we must of missed http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/06/film.berry.reut/index.html this on CNN .
Romantic comedy "Nappily ever after" I'm sure Sharpton and Jackson will want Halle Berry blacklisted :bl2:

Raven
04-11-2007, 08:43 PM
no because she's shaving her head for the part Jay...

she'll be completely bald.

8 sponsers have dropped the imus in the morning show...

he's basically all done....

i hope he starts his own show or retires....

i am going to boycot msnbc indefinately

sok
04-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I made a deliberate effort to stay away from here until The Season started.

"Imus" needs to go to rehab.
His career is over.
Waaaaaah.
Same ch*t; different month.
Remember Kramer?
And he has to apologize to Al Sharpton?
Why?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley

Back under my rock......

fishpoopoo
04-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Basturbed...
you use EVERY anti-asian term you can, but because of your heritage is it ok?

well, to be completely 100% sincere with you, there IS a difference between deliberately trolling for sport in an online forum vs. pointlessly insulting a group of young people who have done nothing to deserve such scorn. i don't know what imus had to gain by calling them "nappy headed ho's" in front of a national audience. honestly.

anyways, yes, i can get away with saying that "all those damn litterbug beach-pooping scup poacher gooks ought to be deported."

Partly b/c it's true. ;)

But you can't, cuz I'll go tactical on you with my yerrow ar shalpton persona. :rude:

hmmm, you just gave me a great idea for a new handle... :laughs:

p.s. i can't make fun of nips over at SOL anymore. Who does that leave?

smokefish
04-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Your all full of crap.If it were Al Sharpton calling your daughter or wife a pasty white c____, the lynch mob would come out.What he said was wrong it was not a generic statement expressed in a comedy routine.It was a derogetory and inflammible remark directed at a specific group.And not all of black America listens to rap or thinks Al & Jesse are there leaders.And lets not forget that these 2 men have walked through streets in which white people spat and threw rocks at them in hate.

Skip N
04-11-2007, 11:26 PM
So Imus got dumped fron MSNBC, but who the hell watches MSNBC anyway? :rotf3:

What a freakin' joke this whole thing is.:hs:

spence
04-12-2007, 06:12 AM
well, to be completely 100% sincere with you, there IS a difference between deliberately trolling for sport in an online forum vs. pointlessly insulting a group of young people who have done nothing to deserve such scorn. i don't know what imus had to gain by calling them "nappy headed ho's" in front of a national audience. honestly.
Yea, my racism is better than your racism :scream2: :scream2: :scream2:

I'll bet his %$%$%$%$ doesn't stink either.

What a hypocrite.

-spence

fishpoopoo
04-12-2007, 06:53 AM
there are none more deserving of a eugenics intervention than Spence's parents. :tooth:

Raven
04-12-2007, 07:07 AM
So Imus got dumped fron MSNBC, but who the hell watches MSNBC anyway? :rotf3:

What a freakin' joke this whole thing is.:hs:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
if you watched Imus... on occasion .... you realize that he had some influence with
politicians or the political process anyway and many
listeners liked how he typically cut to the chase and either broiled
a candidate or endorsed him... like when he called hillary a fat pig
or saying she's phony or "just awful" ...

and when the vet hospital snafu happened his broadcast hastened the firing
of several military officials by bringing it more to the media's attention
....in other words he had some pull or sway with
America's voters ...enough so, that they (his enemies) were
chomping at the bit to find a way to get rid of him....

the nappy headed ho comment.... was their "ticket":lasso:

pmueller
04-12-2007, 07:23 AM
This thing has gone way too far. Don's problem at this point is that somewhere along the line he developed some credibility. The rest of the jocks and comedians will continue to get away with their jokes, regardless of their race.
I really feel bad about this whole thing. Don truley is doing alot of good with these cancer kids and his critics so not seem to care. Don does care, this has got to be killing him. What ever happened to freedom of speech. Sharpton is advocating his own form of sensorship. This is a real scary thought.
Yes, he said something wrong. He does not deserve to be shot and hung.

Nebe
04-12-2007, 07:36 AM
i don't know what imus had to gain by calling them "nappy headed ho's" in front of a national audience. honestly.

Publicity.... and he got a lot of it.

Raven
04-12-2007, 07:37 AM
wait til he reaches the ... I'm mad stage......

and people wonder about crusification....

he maybe needed to retire.... but not like this
in shame.... or under these conditions...

he has a tremendous following and a very competent
crew..... i hope he still has the gumption to grab the bull
by the horns and sidestep the the whole system by
buying his own radio station
and says F - you (msnbc) people in style.

fishpoopoo
04-12-2007, 07:44 AM
it's hard for me to explain this, but i have the feeling many of you guys don't really understand racism until you've felt it directed at yourself.

i haven't really articulated this before, but my everyday experiences have been and are colored by both overt and subtle racism. as many of you know, i come from a family of hard-working, industrious, hard-drinking stubborn well-educated rice #^&#^&#^&#^&s. and no, I wasn't adopted. :laugha:

let me spell it out for some of the perpetually indignant limp-wristed lily white new england limousine liberals browsing this forum (I can't mention Spence by name, can I?).

it is a fair thing to say, from a minority's perspective: a white man calling a mostly black female team a bunch of "ho's" has the appearance of being a racist comment even if no malice is intended.

a black man who does the same thing is NOT in my mind considered to be racist, whether you like it or not or think this is right or wrong. at worst that man is a boorish misogynist IMO. and i would venture to guess that most black people would agree with me on this.

i'm not accusing anyone here of being racist (and I could care less if you are) - but you just don't know what it's really like until you've had it dished out at you from caucasian people. it does change your perspective.

-slant-eyed slope trying to grow a fu-man-chu

The Iceman 6
04-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet...

fishonnelsons
04-12-2007, 07:53 AM
I'll finally jump in, what the heck.

I watch him (past tense now) in the morning, having caffeine and waking up, before I have to face reality for the day.

Good side - having great guests on, calling it straight-on with alot of issues, charity with the "Ranch", being able to take alot of $%#*& from his staff and some of his guests.

Bad side - some times they all went too far, at least for me, Mayor Ray Negron from New Orleans - walking the line there, and maybe even worse than the Rutgers line, and then the Rutgers line.

The networks got coverage because of Imus, then they got advertisers, and money. They LET him say alot of $%#^, now the advertisers get antsy because of the stirring up, and the networks cut him off at the neck - "let's keep'em until the heat is too much, the advertising revenue is too great, when he really %^%$*'s up then we'll let him go".

As far as Sharpton, etc etc., they are making this into a cause for all of America. Good ole Jessie Jackson on CNBS this morning, "how many black announcers on TV?", come on Rev, stay on the issue, don't turn it into "let's change the world", lets fire Imus and all will be right with the world????, I don't think so.

Hey, the world is not perfect, sadly so, and neither are any of us. We all make mistakes, let the punishment fit the crime.

PaulS
04-12-2007, 08:10 AM
I think I read somewhere today that the average gpa for the whole team is 3.0. And they have a no-nonsense coach in Vivian Stringer.

I only heard small parts of her talk, but most of the part I heard dealt no just Imus but all people (spec. rappers) who demonize others and use insulting words like nappy head and ho. She was very balanced unlike many people I have heard who some how try to minimize Imus' statement but focusing on either sharpton, etc. or rappers.

fishpoopoo
04-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Anyone with half a brain should see through Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who are milking this incident politically for all its worth.

stripersnipr
04-12-2007, 08:44 AM
wait til he reaches the ... I'm mad stage......

I think that time is come. This morning Imus asked when Sharpton is apologizing.

spence
04-12-2007, 08:45 AM
it is a fair thing to say, from a minority's perspective: a white man calling a mostly black female team a bunch of "ho's" has the appearance of being a racist comment even if no malice is intended.

a black man who does the same thing is NOT in my mind considered to be racist, whether you like it or not or think this is right or wrong. at worst that man is a boorish misogynist IMO.
Absurdity.

Your own use of asian slights pollutes a conversation regardless of your personal context to which most readers are not even aware.

Context certainly is important as racist remarks do fall on a spectrum, but the notion that you're exempt or that a black person is exempt in these circumstances is not only silly, it's wrong.

-spence

Raven
04-12-2007, 08:48 AM
how do you " really know " you weren't adopted...
(perhaps you have a real real good memory :beat:)

i think my mom had her egg invetrofertilized

aboard an Alien ship and my Dad just assumed

he was the father .....:rolleyes:

Nebe
04-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Anyone with half a brain should see through Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who are milking this incident politically for all its worth.

I only have 1/4 a brain and can see that. :rotflmao:

Raven
04-12-2007, 08:57 AM
I think that time is come. This morning Imus asked when Sharpton is apologizing.

i'm waiting for A UPS truck to bring me a new satelite reciever today
for my direct TV connection.... otherwise i would have watched that.

RIROCKHOUND
04-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Eben, 1/4 of a brain...
Thats because of too much

:buds: :cheers: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :gu: :gu:

:hidin: :tooth:

I could give a rat's ass what Imus, or chappelle or anyone says.
What pisses me off is Sharpton and jackson coming full bore on this, and not apologizing for verbally lynching the Duke lacrosse players w/ NO EVIDENCE.. simply race, and they were on it like flies on %$%$%$%$.

spence
04-12-2007, 09:00 AM
What pisses me off is Sharpton and jackson coming full bore on this, and not apologizing for verbally lynching the Duke lacrosse players w/ NO EVIDENCE.. simply race, and they were on it like flies on %$%$%$%$.
Too bad that didn't break a week ago...Imus would still have his sponsors :hee:

-spence

fishpoopoo
04-12-2007, 09:02 AM
spence,

you can wring your paws all you want about racism ... but as far as i'm concerned you're just another shallow #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& that doesn't get it.

Nebe
04-12-2007, 09:03 AM
be prepared to see Imus' buffalo wing hot sauce on sale this week at stop and shop.. :hihi:

spence
04-12-2007, 09:18 AM
spence,

you can wring your paws all you want about racism ... but as far as i'm concerned you're just another shallow #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& that doesn't get it.
You're free to your own opinion, even if it is wrong. :bshake:

-spence

stripersnipr
04-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Isn't Rosie (Basketball Head) O'Donnell a little late interjecting her under-informed, hypocritical opinion on the Imus issue?

fishpoopoo
04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/30calslut/spenceisacluelesshonkey.jpg

cheferson
04-12-2007, 09:36 AM
:poke: :lurk:

mosholu
04-12-2007, 09:48 AM
What comes out of the Imus affair is that conduct that tends to polarize race relations has to be punished strongly. It would therefore seem to me that NC Atty General's office should strongly go after the DA and any other officials in the Duke lacrosse case where it appears that a prosecution was brought to in large part advance the political ambitions of the DA. The family of each student should sue the same individuals (although they may be depleted of funds and the student want to get on with their lives) and I think there may even be grounds for the Federal Government to bring an action.
This travesty did significant damage to race relations and now that we have set a benchmark lets prosecute!

fishpoopoo
04-12-2007, 09:59 AM
i don't see the Duke Lax player rape case as a racial situation as much as an opportunity for the D.A. (Mike Nifong, who is white) to try to score political brownie points at the expense of some purty white boyz. IIRC he was up for re-election at the time. when the evidence came to light there wasn't much outrage in the black community at these defendants or white people in general. but everyone was pissed at Mike Nifong for the railroading.

talk about a backfire.

Andy D
04-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Your all full of crap.If it were Al Sharpton calling your daughter or wife a pasty white c____, the lynch mob would come out.What he said was wrong it was not a generic statement expressed in a comedy routine.It was a derogetory and inflammible remark directed at a specific group.And not all of black America listens to rap or thinks Al & Jesse are there leaders.And lets not forget that these 2 men have walked through streets in which white people spat and threw rocks at them in hate.So did Martin Luther King, Difference is Dr. King preached forgivness and tolerence for ALL people . Sharpton , Jackson preach revenge and in my opinion racism. And I think we all agree these 2 couldn't even carry Dr. King's shoes.

The Dad Fisherman
04-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Anyone hear anything new on Anna Nicole Smith???

fishpoopoo
04-12-2007, 10:40 AM
it's all Bush's fault. :wall:

The Dad Fisherman
04-12-2007, 10:45 AM
I knew it.....damn him

Andy D
04-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Your right enough said, I think she's dead

Swimmer
04-12-2007, 11:17 AM
I was called a F*)(&^% no good white irish a$&#(&e by an olive skinned Italian fellow a numbers of years ago. Does that coount as racism Bassturbed?:D

fishpoopoo
04-12-2007, 11:21 AM
you should have called him a wop and make him sing o-solo-mio at gunpoint.

mosholu
04-12-2007, 11:32 AM
i don't see the Duke Lax player rape case as a racial situation as much as an opportunity for the D.A. (Mike Nifong, who is white) to try to score political brownie points at the expense of some purty white boyz. IIRC he was up for re-election at the time. when the evidence came to light there wasn't much outrage in the black community at these defendants or white people in general. but everyone was pissed at Mike Nifong for the railroading.

talk about a backfire.
According to the article in today's NY Times the DA Nifong mentioned his efforts in this case on the politcal stump on occasions where he was speaking to a minority crowd. He was exploiting the racial differences as well as the economic differences of the community to advance his own career. In a state that has a large percentage of African American voters being the guy who is willing to take on the "rich white elite" is not a bad platform to run off. The problem is you can not corupt the judicial process to make it so.

pmueller
04-12-2007, 03:41 PM
cbs pulls Imus late Thursday and will not let Imus on his radiothon.

wader-dad
04-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Imus is now fired not just suspended -he is gone. That sucks. This country is starting to seriously suck. I listen to Imus every morning. He will land somewhere else- but come on this is so rediculous its just sucks. I think it sucks. Its insanity. Do they have stripers in Canada?

Raven
04-12-2007, 05:20 PM
i hear ya and I am thinking exactly like you....

it wouldnt surprise me if hillary clinton pulled some strings
just to get the black vote for later.... whatever...

i think lake Michigan has stripers and it borders with Canada.
on that Nova Scotia thread they talked about stripers up there too.

this whole politically correct thing is
so messed up ..... it is truely insane.

F*** CBS too - i'll be writing their editors also....

Raven
04-12-2007, 05:26 PM

she was injecting growth hormone into her ass.

thats odd, i figured she already knew how to moan.

mosholu
04-12-2007, 05:26 PM
If he wants to continue he will have a home on Sirus in a few months.

stripersnipr
04-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Imus is a gold mine. He'll be back.

pmueller
04-12-2007, 07:11 PM
i hear ya and I am thinking exactly like you....

it wouldnt surprise me if hillary clinton pulled some strings
just to get the black vote for later.... whatever...

i think lake Michigan has stripers and it borders with Canada.
on that Nova Scotia thread they talked about stripers up there too.

this whole politically correct thing is
so messed up ..... it is truely insane.

F*** CBS too - i'll be writing their editors also....

Apparently making a visit to Rutgers within a day or two. She most likely did have something to do with it, if you remember Imus comments about then Pres. Bill at a fund raising roast. I tell ya, Imus has kahonies.

RIJIMMY
04-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Raven and Wader Dad, I couldnt agree more.
sorry day for america.

fishpoopoo
04-13-2007, 06:49 AM
He will land somewhere else- ...

most likely he will. a little time off and he'll be back on another network, take heart. if he's got a loyal listener base somebody will hire him.

sirius satellite radio anyone? :p

Jay Dog
04-13-2007, 07:15 AM
He was fired at 4:45 yesterday in the middle of his telethon for cancer charities (lot of class CBS) and he still went to meet with the RU Team after that. How many other people would have done that?
I was listening to the Telethon when it happened and I will give the 2 guys on the air at the time, Mike and Chris, credit they stood up for Imus and called it a classless act by their network to do it in the middle of the Telethon and allowing no dignity for over 30 years of service.
Imus was right radio executives are a bunch of empty suits.
As for Sharpton and Jackson
How much good have they done for the community
Did they have a hospital wing named after them?
Did they raise 10 Million dollars for a state of the art rehab center for returning troops.
Who went to Walter Reed hospital to visit the wounded and help bring to light conditions there.
Do they have a camp for kids with cancer that has passed all federal and state audits and inspections.
Who brought Autism awareness onto the general public and helped to get it the attention it deserves 1 in 166 kids affected by it more than any other disease or disability
The guy they classified as vile and a racist that's who not Jackson or Sharpton
Was he over the line with his comments Yes, Did he apoligize Yes, was it sincire, well he got fired and still met with the team less than 3 hours later.
So if there is less money available for all the above causes which will affect kids of all type who benefits from this.

Sluggoslinger
04-13-2007, 07:39 AM
What has howard stern had to say about all this? I know Opie and Anthony have been sympathetic and think its ridiculous. I think they are also CBS too. They say more stuff that could be viewed as racist then any body else on radio yet Imus gets fired in the middle of a fund rasing event for cancer??? wow

fishpoopoo
04-13-2007, 07:46 AM
public radio is an advertising supported medium.

if your sponsors are running from the show and/or start to threaten other programming, then you have no choice!

imus made a huge mistake by offending a key demographic ... young women.

guess what 800 lb. gorilla advertiser happens to cater to that particular demo?

procter & gamble (look at all the girlie brands on their web site).

three words never caused so much damage.

The Iceman 6
04-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Good article in NY Post about it:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04132007/news/columnists/brainless_hypocrites_win_again_columnists_phil_mus hnick.htm

pmueller
04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Jay I agree, I've been listenting to both shows of FAN for a number of years. The word is today that Sharpton knew the Rutgers girls were going to forgive Imus. He pushed more to have Imus pulled yesterday, otherwise he would loose his position of power.
Its a sad story for a guy thats yes does go over the top, but has done so much more good for his fellow human beings. Mike and chris were quick to point out that Chris Dodd threw him under the bus last night. Dodd announced his presidential bid on the Imus show. Its real funny to watch the folks that have benefited from Don's position run like cowards. Ketih Olberman, another coward. After Imus is out of the building he brings up how bas Don is to people around him. What a coward. His ratings are in the pit and will never get out.
Leiberman stood up, Guiliani stood up, along with John McCain I tell ya, I'll never pull the vote for button for Chris Dodd ever. If he can't stand up in a situation like this, he doesn't deserve the senate seat. He threw Lieberman under the bus too. Let him push pencils like the rest of us.
Good for Mike and the Mad Dog, stand up guys and WFAN. They may loose their positions over this whole thing.

Jay Dog
04-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Pete I don't think Mike and the Mad Dog have to much to worry about. They did not say anything offensive to anybody, if they were to be fired then it really has become a witch hunt and they are number 1 in their time slot in NY which means the station loses it 2 top revenue producers.
But it does show how political it becomes if Sharpton was pushing on Thursday to have it happen before the meeting with the team. He propably assumed Imus wouldn't show if he had been canned, which shows you what he was thinking since I haven't heard a statement from Sharpton about the apology or the acceptence by the team. But that would be off issue for himbecause it would mean there was a resolution.

pmueller
04-13-2007, 04:06 PM
I hope so, I do not agree with them all the time, but I do enjoy their show. Sharpton and Jackson had alot to do with it for sure, I beleive Hillary had a spoon in the pot also. Suprise, she's visiting Rutgers (probably for the first time) Monday. For some reason in this country, when you make a mistake, error in judgement, or simply not support the correct "side", you loose your job. It must be some freudian thing left over from the french. In times like these are the reasons for "the crucible", "scarlet letter", "the rape of the lock" come to mind. I know it may seem like I'm way over the top on this, but when you have Nazi's that have more civil liberties and more people willing to protect them, its really scary man.
Sharpton will not say anything regarding the womens team at Rutgers, it does not fit his agenda.
Now all the affliliates are pi__ed at CBS for dumping Imus. Good for them. Spineless bottom line cowards.
Now I'll probably have to get XM radio to listen to my program. Chit man.

parker23
04-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey gang,
This whole issue is absolutely absurd. Imus is a comedian, not a journalist/primetime Dan Rather/Peter Jennings, etc… Freedom of speech is a principle in which our great country was founded.
We need thicker skin. I have had dialog on several occasions’ w/members of this group. I am a gay man, I love my family, fishing, my business and my life in the best country in the world---America. I do not give a S—T if you call me a fag/queer/pole smoker or any other slang.
I am a good person. I treat people like I want to be treated. AND I love to bust b-lls on every group that makes up this melting pot of AMERICA.
I may confront someone who posts a message dealing with the GAY issue, however, I do not want to censor the post. Freedom of speech is like Rock-N-Roll… Live Free or Die.
I am who I am. I have my own prejudices. We all pre-judge people by the color of their skin, the clothing they wear and the company the keep.

It’s human nature!!!

Grow some skin! Grow some B-lls and stand up for your principles. As long as you are able to sleep at night w/ a good conscience, we will all end up in the same place.

God bless AMERICA!
Bruce

Raven
04-13-2007, 09:48 PM
at least the girls basketball team accepted Imus's apology
even though the corporate world did not nor did the milk men

and well spoken Parker23

Pete F.
04-14-2007, 11:40 AM
I think the headline in the NY Daily news yesterday should have been:
Jesse and Al run Imus out of Hymietown