View Full Version : Bear!

tynan19
04-12-2007, 09:00 PM
I am at work and my wife just called to tell me a Large Black Bear just circled around the house and walked off down the driveway. The cat not the dog actually alerted her by growling out the front window. I wonder if it smelled the trout I filleted today. I will have to check the garden in the morning to see if it got the heads. I am trying to get her to go out and take pics of the tracks in the snow but understandably she is a little shook up.
I hope it is not around when I get home. :shocked:

Raider Ronnie
04-12-2007, 09:05 PM
WOW !!!
You should leave out a big dish of porridge !!!

Swimmer
04-12-2007, 09:23 PM
My in-laws lived in Crest Park, Ca. at the top of a smallish mountain. Across the street in the woods were both bear and mountain lions. Her house's second floor is level with the road giving you and idea of how much higher the road is than the kitchen on the first floor. They have a picture window in the kitchen. One morning the neighborhood bear saunters across the road and down the incline into the front yard. Its probably about 350 pounds big. Dorothy sits at the kitchen table eating her cereal and drinking her coffee watching the bear. The bear watched Dorothy eat. She filmed the whole damn thing. Big ass bear sitting on its haunches looking at her through the picture window. One night, filmed again by the way by my brother-in-law, the same neighborhood bear climbs onto 2 x 4 railing that surrounds deck and walkway. The bear balances itself and hangs onto outside lamp attached to the side of the house while leaning over about four feet grabbing at bird feeder. It did get the bird feeder. And anything else it wanted in the yard.

animal
04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Dude,I'm waiting for the pix!

tynan19
04-12-2007, 09:34 PM
There is two sets of prints. One went one way around the house and the other the other way. One sat under the birdfeeder and ate the seed. Crazy thing is the larger one put one paw on the front step. One of our cats just sat on the porch and watched. I have a cell phone pic I will try and send.

tynan19
04-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Wife's cell and my 12 slippers.

tynan19
04-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Claws look a little scary. :eek:

BigFish
04-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Looks like it was a biggun!:eek5: :err:

pops02
04-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Wow, thats cool. I must say, you get some good wildlife photos...i like the picture of the bobcat

Katie
04-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Holy woah...!

tynan19
04-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Wow, thats cool. I must say, you get some good wildlife photos...i like the picture of the bobcat

Thanks! Luckily I didn't get that close to this one. I took some pics when I got home.

tynan19
04-13-2007, 05:19 AM
Turns out is was only one bear that circled the house twice. I followed the tracks for a little while. The bear must have smelled the trout or something. It came from downwind. Funny thing was when I was driving down the street I saw the tracks a half mile up the road. The bear just walked right up the street for a ways.

Striperhound
04-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Same here, living in the north woods near the adirondacks, new house. My realtor has a gift basket dropped off after closing last week. Delivery guy leaves it on the front steps. Look out my son's window, 200 lb black bear sitting on my front steps having its way with the gift basket, very cool, wife a little upset. :hihi:

MAC
04-13-2007, 06:11 AM
It most likely just came out of hibernation. So it is hungry... I'm surprised it didn't tear apart your trash cans.

labrax
04-13-2007, 06:20 AM
My wife's cousin in Wendell - he may read these boards ended up killing one that was on his property repeatedly. It was justified and legal and was going into his chicken coop. They are not hunted much anymore - except for the automobile deaths there is not much to control their population numbers. Back about 10-15 yrs ago I know the populations was expanding at like 5-10%/year and they were expanding eastward at a good clip from Route 91, which seemed to be the real dividing line in the state for their local population.

I have heard stories of them coming into peoples houses and trashing the kitchens. They love bird feeders and you may just want to remove them and hope this guy moves on.

Buddy lives in NJ by Penn and he has had some pretty wild encounters with them as his property abuts some extensive woods. He was talking about a huge bear - like 400lbs on his property and his work buddies were busting him pretty good about it - turns out the bear was shot near his area and it was that big - it supposedly had ripped a garage door off to get at some tasty trash inside.

Very cool photos of the prints.

vineyardblues
04-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Casey, I thought you said BEER :buds:
Tell da wife to :hidin:
lol
VB

tynan19
04-13-2007, 06:58 AM
I just showed a guy at work who owns a camp in New York and hunts a lot said that is a very large bear. Almost 11 inches claw to heel and close to 7 inches wide. I am not sure if the snow melted a little from the foot but those are some scary numbers. I am facinated by it. I wonder if it will come back for the striper carcasses.

MAC
04-13-2007, 02:31 PM
7" wide, that is a big one. Probably weighed close to 400#s or so when it denned up. Don't mess with it as it is most likely an old boar and they can be nasty. It apparently isn't afraid of people so keep your eyes open.

Swimmer
04-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Bigfoot! Sasquatch! Larry!