View Full Version : Boiled Linseed Oil Solutions

RickHem
04-17-2007, 09:24 AM
I've read that diluting Boiled Linseed Oil with Mineral Spirits in a 60/40 ratio is pretty well accepted for sealing the wood. Has anyone ever used another solvent like acetone, IPA, methanol, or something like that? Would a more rapidly-evaporating solvent decrease the time it takes for the wood to dry? I did a few searches and didn't find anything on this.

Hilo_Kawika
04-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I believe that mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil have sufficiently similar properties in common that they can dissolve in one another.

Perhaps a problem with the relatively small sized chemicals that you mentioned (acetone, ipa, methanol) is that they may be sufficiently chemically different from boiled linseed oil that they might not be good solvents for it.

Charleston
04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I am of the understanding that the MS is mixed in the BLO for 2 reasons. One to help allow for maximim penetration (absorbtion of the BLO). Two to promote drying.
Solvents that flash off too fast will be of no use.

Slipknot
04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
I mixed val oil with Xylene and I think it worked, it's just very nasty stuff.

Backbeach Jake
04-18-2007, 05:29 AM
After all the personal accounts here of near fires with BLO, I'll never bring it into my house. I use helmsman cut with ms. I have 3 year old plugs that I still use that haven't split, flaked or started smoking.

The Dad Fisherman
04-18-2007, 06:49 AM
I use the Val-oil cut 50/50/ with minerals spirits....seems to work pretty good

GattaFish
04-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Has anyone found something that the direct sunlight wont affect..????

JFigliuolo
04-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Has anyone found something that the direct sunlight wont affect..????

Fish at night:jester: