View Full Version : Lure trolling speed

Hilo_Kawika
04-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Recently I had the chance to purchase some old Gibbs GTS and Lupo Danny trolling lures, each about 7-8" long.

I'm wondering what trolling speeds were used with these lures?

stripercrazy
04-18-2007, 02:30 PM
but medal liped swimmers generally are worked slow...:hee: this will be my first year trolling wood

numbskull
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
For bass.........as slow as you can go.

capesams
04-18-2007, 05:02 PM
If your fishing in a pond with no running tide like cape cod bay and can't get your speed down slow enough,,make S turns...this will allow the plug to slow down till the line catches up tight again.[this also works well for tube and worm].If fishing in an area that has rips,,park yourself about 200 feet above said rip and just let the plug out till it hits the head[front] of the rip..throw the reel in gear and let the line/plug come tight and just let it sit there without reeling it back in.

Hilo_Kawika
04-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks everyone for useful advice. Hmmm...such slow speeds - it would seem they don't call them cows for nothing...:hihi:

Smokey14
04-19-2007, 05:13 AM
A GPS will give you the best reading but watch the curents they'll give you fauls speed. if your looking for striper as slow as the boat will go 2-3 knots at most. if your going for blues pick it up to around 3-5 knots. tuna like it even faster. the most important thing is your depth. Those big wooden swimmers don't go as deep as we would like but wire or lead core should do nicely (I'm gona give a plainer on braid a try this year.)