View Full Version : Mosquito Magnet

MarshCappa
04-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Just made the purchase this weekend and set it up yesterday. Anyone else use these? Everyone swears by them. Getting them positioned correctly in the yard seems to be the challenge. I only had 4 in the hopper this morning! I would have guessed more would have been in there but maybe it was too cold for the skeeters to be out last night.

Slingah
04-23-2007, 03:26 PM
good move.....do a search on this site...I asked the same question a couple years back.......still have not bought one though....
I hate skeeters:wall:

MrHunters
04-23-2007, 04:40 PM
bat houses.

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/mosquito/documents/Alts_bats_wphotos.htm

UserRemoved1
04-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I got one and it fills completely in about 2 weeks. The big trick is to really keep moving it till you find the magic spot. You'll know when you find it they'll be swarming the friggin thing and you won't even be able to walk near it. It drives em friggin wacko. slurp em right up. We get them little teeny suckers here and man them things hurt. Works wonders. Might buy another this year.

MarshCappa
04-23-2007, 08:28 PM
bat houses.

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/mosquito/documents/Alts_bats_wphotos.htm

We have bats in our yard. I've seen them flying around in the summer time. We have everything in our yard, coyottes, squirells, skunks, racoons, etc....it's wild kingdom over here!

jim sylvester
04-23-2007, 08:40 PM
i was under the impression they went out of business.

if so, where are you guys getting replacements for the system?

MarshCappa
04-23-2007, 08:56 PM
They seem to be alive and well, the company that is, not the mosquitos! :rotf2: I bought mine at Josephs hardware in Marshfield and because they are a high ticket item I had 2 salesman explaining every feature of the thing. They told me they went to training recently to become a dealer for them so I got to imagine the company is doing ok if they're training folks. I moved it again tonight but this wind is nuts. Swirling and hard to get a good feel for where to place it. The online placement guide dosn't exactly cover all my variables here but I'll experiment and find that sweet spot.

Nebe
04-23-2007, 09:01 PM
i hear the dead skeeters make pisser trout chum

jim sylvester
04-23-2007, 09:41 PM
is this the same company out of east greenwich?

Smokey14
04-24-2007, 06:53 AM
I was under the impression that Carbon dioxide was a green house gas. why is it so hard to get an inspection sticker for my older car and yet thees things are designed specifically to pump out Co2 all day.I emailed the company about 4 times with no response (big surprize.).
I'm not trying to be a tree hugger but ...... well what ever, Enjoy your Mosquito free yard.

2na
04-24-2007, 06:57 AM
My parents have 2 of them in Falmouth. When the mosquito season gets rolling the sock thing pretty much fills up every couple of days, then you clean out the area and there aren’t as many, but the bugs are gone. I did not know that mosquitoes have a territory, but that's how it works - you clear out the resident population in your area.

HighTide
04-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Bought one last year and I love it. Like Salty said before, you gotta find the right spot, I filled the bag in about two weeks. Another thing I may do this year is fill acouple of buckets with water and put some goldfish in them. The mosquitos hatch and the goldfish eat the larva. I just have to cover it so nothing eats the goldfish

The Dad Fisherman
04-24-2007, 12:55 PM
I was under the impression that Carbon dioxide was a green house gas. why is it so hard to get an inspection sticker for my older car and yet thees things are designed specifically to pump out Co2 all day.I emailed the company about 4 times with no response (big surprize.).
I'm not trying to be a tree hugger but ...... well what ever, Enjoy your Mosquito free yard.

That's CO (Carbon MON-oxide) thats the problem. CO2 (Carbon DI-oxide) is what we exhale....and what puts the bubbles in Beer....also what attracts Skeeters

MrHunters
04-24-2007, 01:01 PM
That's CO (Carbon MON-oxide) thats the problem. CO2 (Carbon DI-oxide) is what we exhale....and what puts the bubbles in Beer....also what attracts Skeeters

phew... i was about to pass out from holding my breath for the past 6 hrs. that was a close one.:hf1:

Megabyte
04-24-2007, 05:59 PM
They have been in bankruptcy for the last 12 - 18 months.
They were recently bought for around 6 - 7 million by a large company - forget who.

Smokey14
04-25-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm not trying to pick a fight or Piss any one off here but you need to know what your doing to the planet your kids will end up with when your dead.

"Greenhouse gases include water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone."

Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a US-registered 501(c)(3) tax-deductible nonprofit charity.

boot man
04-25-2007, 06:53 PM
So I can't sweat, breathe, fart, or inhale balloons with my Deadhead friends without endangering the ozone?

If my grandkids can't do that (minus the NO2 ballons, of course), maybe I'm doing them a favor. Gimme a break!

Clueless
04-25-2007, 09:54 PM
They work really well when they work. I know lots of people have had no problem with them but...

I bought one late spring 2005 and it worked well all summer and kept the bugs down to a minimum, but it wouldn't start after changing a tank in early September, so I just put it away to deal with in the spring. I pulled it out last May and called them and after some troubleshooting they asked me to send it back and they'd replace it with a refurb through warranty. Refurb worked through 2 tanks of gas and then it died the same way, but now I'm told it's out of warranty and I'm going to have to pay.

:realmad: It's been a lovely boat anchor in my shed since.