View Full Version : Lets Talk Pain!!!

BigFish
04-27-2007, 07:31 AM
I have a pinched nerve I think in my back/left of my right shoulder blade......I am in intense pain and can't even friggin' move without wincing in pain.....someone shoot me!!:bc:

Any suggestions? Ice, heat???

daceman63
04-27-2007, 07:37 AM
ice and heat. alternate them. I'd also try some sort of pain reliever...maybe tylenol. Also, as painful as it is try and do some stretching....

UserRemoved1
04-27-2007, 07:39 AM
heat larry

use one of those beanbags you can throw in the microwave and keep it warm for a while. You want to stretch it all out and heat is the best way.

I feel your pain and raise you a diclofenac and a celebrex.

Redsoxticket
04-27-2007, 07:42 AM
chiropractor then go home a lay down.

Smokey14
04-27-2007, 07:48 AM
I like SB's choice. The microwave heat pads give you a deep moist heat you cant get with electric heat pads.
Ibuprofen is also a good choice. It's taken for granted but it's an excellent anti-inflammatory. If your stomach can handle it I'd double up on the dose.
good luck.

eastendlu
04-27-2007, 07:48 AM
It has to work itself out.Get a massage forget the chiropracter.

Skitterpop
04-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Massage/Chiro then a two soak in a BIG hot tub

kevin d
04-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Massage and Flexeril.

mekcotuit
04-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Larry - some moist heat, a massage and/or chiro. Tylenol.

fishaholic18
04-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Had that happen many years ago. Woke up one morning and couldn't lift my arm, my shoulder was hurtin' so bad. Went to the doc and got a cortizone shot, next day it was fine. I haven't had that pain since.
Good luck Larry, pain hurts...:conf:

striprman
04-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Larry,
If it is really bad, try going to Spaulding Hospital behind the Boston Gardens. That is a rehab hospital (with a physical therapy place at the "fidelity investment" building near the South Short Plaza). I was pretty happy with the treatment I got there for my back. Also try New England Baptist Hospital. I know what "living with pain" pain is like. Good luck. First goes the body, then goes the mind.

Bishop169
04-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Put a beer on it relax and make sure your wife brings you everything

But serious Ibuprofen heat and rest is prob the best combo then again beer works well too

Backbeach Jake
04-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I take 800 mg. ibuprophine every 3-4 hours until the pain subsides then taper to 200-300 every 6 hours. If you have liver issues can be a problem.

jim sylvester
04-27-2007, 11:37 AM
take a vike and have a scotch

seriously heat it, stretch, then rest

Flaptail
04-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I had a condition two years ago called a "Cervical Radiculopothy"

Meaning the nerves running through the openings in my shoulder blade on my left side from a pinched nerve had swollen to the point where they were cut off from blood flow and died.

It was the worst pain I ever expereinced. I have broken a lot of bones but nothing ever hurt like that. My arm was doing the spam twist on it's own. Like the wolf man when the moon comes out. I had to be knocked at the hospital to releave the pain, on a scale from one to ten it was a twelve.

Flexeril, Valium and Co-tylenol was the mix that got me through. All the nerves regenerated except the ones to the tip of my left index finger which tingles constantly to this day.

Don't f#ck around with it Larry, lay low until it clears. Trust me, the pain from what I had is excruciating to say the least.

fishaholic18
04-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah Larry, I agree with Flap..Don't F around with it..See a doc.

Saltheart
04-27-2007, 02:13 PM
go to a doctor. Flexeril and vicodin will make you happy!! :)

After a week of that , go to Chiro or PT. these things take forever to fully heal.

FishermanTim
04-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I will second the choice of stretching, heat and ibuprofin (up to 800mg).
I had a case of sciatica a few years back that made walking next to impossible. It took a few weks for it to subside, but the heat and pills helped a whole lot.

On the lighter side, if you go for the message route, opt for the "happy ending" if possible. That will definitely take your mind off the pain.

Slipknot
04-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I have a pinched nerve I think in my back/left of my right shoulder blade......I am in intense pain and can't even friggin' move without wincing in pain.....someone shoot me!!:bc:

Any suggestions? Ice, heat???

suggestions? did you call a doctor yet? I'd do that first before anything. Sounds serious.
I hope you get over it soon, I hate pain

taJon
04-27-2007, 06:46 PM
what noone suggested percasets or vicadine! Go right for the good stuff or suck it up. :D

on a serious note, I hope you feel better.

Raven
04-27-2007, 10:07 PM
i highly recommend them....
went there for years....
they even work on the Patriots football team! on occasion

i third the suggestion on stretching but do it
ever so slowly and in the shower under hot water HELPS!

the rice filled sacks with rope handles are called "bed Buddies"
and they sell them at either cvs or walmart...you heat them
for like 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave... any longer
and it's too hot for comfort...with 2 minutes the absolute max !

find your range of motion on the bad side ....
and try to get some baby step increases
then ...rest ....try some ice, then heat again

that differential in temperature helps loosen it up
like squeezing a sponge....

i also recommend motrin 800's but leave the
alcohol out of the scenario with pain killers
because you can wake up to the most worst hangover
imaginable when you mix drugs and booze together
and it's much worse than worshipping the porcelain god.

feel better soon Larry... also sometimes you have to
work it out.... so try different things if you can.

2na
04-28-2007, 05:58 AM
Get to the doc Larry. Hope all goes well and you're turning them again soon.

BigFish
04-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Probably have to go today....I am having the worst pain I have had EVER!!!!!! I know they will tell me to keep doing what I am doing....I hate Doctors! No offense Numbscull and Doc!;)

2na
04-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Sorry to hear that from you (about the pain, because I feel the same way about most doctors too). Us big tough guys hate to hit the doc, but at some point you gotta do what you gotta do.

A lot of stuff that has been recommended to you on this thread that is non-medicinal in nature may not hurt, but I'd be leary about taking unprescribed meds or high doses of ibuprofen. I would imagine a cortisone shot would help immeasurably, but what the hell do I know? Suck it up and get to the doctor or hospital ASAP.

This is from WebMD

Is there any treatment?
The most frequently recommended treatment for pinched nerve is rest for the affected area. Corticosteroids help alleviate pain. In some cases, surgery is recommended. Physical therapy may be recommended, and splints or collars may be used.

Good luck Larry

BigBo
04-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Hey Larry. I know Doc's are no fun:hidin: But get yourself in there to see him. If you don't take care of it now, you're gonna limit your casting ability. You know you've got to fish and the clock is ticking. Get it taken care of now buddy.
Hope you feel better.

2na
04-28-2007, 07:23 AM
good point Bo

Slingah
04-28-2007, 08:12 AM
get it looked at Larry......and take the meds....that is what they are for...

BigFish
04-28-2007, 09:41 AM
I been heating and icing it to no avail....only momentary relief and after a few minutes.....YEOW! Got an appointment this afternoon!:uhoh:

Swimmer
04-28-2007, 11:13 AM
You seemed fine at the meeting Wednesday night. When did this come about? Hope it gets better.

Raven
04-28-2007, 12:20 PM
check your pms b4 you go
ask for the patches script

BigFish
04-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Thursday it flared up Frank....going for MRI tomorrow morning. Arm is a bit numb, slight loss of motor skill and strength, tingling to finger tips?!?!? Anyone ever experience a pinched nerve with these symptoms???

afterhours
04-28-2007, 04:46 PM
wow- hope it heals soon...what triggered it?

Raven
04-28-2007, 04:52 PM
pinched nerve yep

me... although the MRI and Catscan said it was in my neck vertabrae
where the nerve bundle is getting jambed ....{pincheD] AND IT MAKES YOU
oop caps ache and shooting pains numbness in the little finger and one next to it...
and a hot like feeling in the palm sometimes...

did ya know that doctors get a $1000 for every mri they schedual? :sick:
sure goes along way to payin off that fancy shinny luxury car...

i had neck therapy at spaulding clinic for that too....

have you been pushing anything up with your head lately by any chance?
hmmmm?

BigFish
04-28-2007, 04:57 PM
No! It just kind of came up....I think its from sitting in a bad position on the couch, bad posture maybe when I sit....threw me outta whack? I hope! Gave me some percs....took em! It was feeling a bit "better" before the perc....so maybe I am on the mend?

Raven
04-28-2007, 05:09 PM
when looking in the mirror standing in perfect alignment

are your shoulder heights the same...?

or are ya leaning in one direction to stay out of pain...?

anyways thats how i would know...

that i was worse or better...

kind of a measuring stick...of skeletel health

your posture

Backbeach Jake
04-28-2007, 05:10 PM
You been to a doctor yet? Stop screwing around, you're gonna miss a good season. Numbness ain't good-go.

BigFish
04-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Went today....MRI tomorrow morning!:huh:

UserRemoved1
04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
It'll be gone by the time you get the mri results back Larry. Now you have a rough idea what it feels like to have a nerve cut.

Hope you feel better it's a bad time of year to be down.

BigFish
04-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks Scott! Yeah....worse pain I have ever had!!:shocked:

Backbeach Jake
04-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Had an MRI on my noggin. They didn't find anything. Sounds like German techno rock in there. Just relax and you'll be fine. The techs asking if everything is ok is the most annoying part. It ain't that bad at all unless you're claustrophobic. If you are, ask for the dope. Good luck, hoping it's nothing..

eastendlu
04-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Had an MRI on my noggin. They didn't find anything.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Backbeach Jake
04-29-2007, 08:28 AM
:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

What?
They had to x-ray my head first because my trade tends to shoot metal around. They found nothing then,too.:rotf3: