View Full Version : Frog

ProfessorM
04-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Here is a couple of picture's I got yesterday of the local tree frog population. Cool beast. I'll bet you have mistaken his call for bird as I have until I hunted one down last year in the summer to find out what the hell was making the racket. P.

stripersnipr
04-29-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm infested with those obnoxious little bastages. I think its time to do some culling of the herd.

Raven
04-30-2007, 07:15 AM
whats the length on that beauty...??

i used to have an Aquarium full of the
smaller species from California
in my house... then released them
into a frogless canyon further south.

the ones out west have full camouflage
capabilities and can change to the color
of their surroundings.....while swimming in the clear
pools you could be staring right at them
and still not see them...

yes very cool....

Raven
04-30-2007, 07:26 AM
collect the ones you can get
and put them in a screen or
cloth covered bucket with grass
and i'll take them away.
i have a little pond too...

i'll make the ride ! if you
have enough to make it
worth my gas... ok?

in a week or so... tho...
paying big bills today

ProfessorM
04-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Rav I usually don't find them to often. The one I went looking for last summer was up in an oak tree 30' up in a knot hole in the tree, but I had to find out what the noise was as i had heard it for the previous 10 summers and could not see any birds in the area the sound was coming from. They seem to stay up so they are really not easy to spot. It must be a mating call. Seems to come out in the heat of the day. The camo is pretty much just like the bark of a white oak tree. When you can get them they are very slow and mellow, an easy catch if you find them. Not worth the drive as i have only seen 3 or 4 up close so far, but there are a few around, not tons though. There was an article on them in Mass Wildlife mag. last year I think. Got a very distinct call, sound that makes you wonder what bird is that. P.

Raven
04-30-2007, 11:41 AM
i think i have at least one....

it was calling at night and it
wasn't a toad call or a peeper...

but it sounds like a bird.

ProfessorM
04-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Looked it up. It is called the grey tree frog. Under True Tree Frogs
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwamph.htm

ProfessorM
04-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Here is a good site Rav. You can even listen to one check out the call. That is the sound but I usually here it during the day time when it is hot out.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/amphibian/gray.htm

Raven
04-30-2007, 01:26 PM
here....took a picture of one in the garden sitting on a sunflower leaf.

but the picture you took made it look like a larger variety.... 3" long
i doubt it...

i'll have to look for other frog wavs to find the one i heard at night.

ProfessorM
04-30-2007, 01:36 PM
It didn't sound like the file I sent you? It is not a very big frog. I just went outside to spray my blueberries with Sevin to get a jump on the winter moth caterpillars and I heard one, but one did not answer. Usually you get the back and forth conversation.

zacs
04-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for posting the sound, PM.

All these years I thought that was some bird call.

COOL.

Zac

ProfessorM
04-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Me too. would bug the hell out of me because I would be looking right at the spot and hear the noise and see nothing.Then one day I heard the noise and honed in on it. I looked 30 feet up in an oak tree with binoculars and inside of a knot hole was something breathing. I went and got a ladder and climbed up the tree and low and behold there it was. I was really excited as I finally found the bugger. Yes i have no life.

Raven
04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
you show more atunement to life in a single day than some people experience in a lifetime.