View Full Version : and the walk through

MrHunters
04-30-2007, 07:28 PM
closing is pushed back to the afternoon but NOT for the reasons below.

10 bags of trash
2 large ac units
4 piec o crap chairs
2 desks

all sitting in the back yard that supposedly were taken care of. :af:

oh, now, i've never owned an oil burner before so this may sound like a dumb question.

is it bad to have the oil burner on with no oil in the tank? appanently since she is in texas she left the heat on and the tank ran dry, there were a couple lights on on the burner and it was making a noise i would assume is not normal. :splat::af::splat::af::splat:

Andy D
04-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Lights on near the burner probably means it locked out on flame failure . Normally a oil burner control has 15 to as much as 45sec to prove a flame if not the control will lock out on saftey. The tank being empty is more of a nusance and not really that bad for the fuel system. When you get your delivery have your oilman replace the oil filter at the tank the fuel pump strainer and the burner nozzle and you should be good to go . Hope that helps

Raven
04-30-2007, 07:50 PM
the ..... amount of crap they forgot to take care of... wow

MrHunters
04-30-2007, 07:54 PM
the ..... amount of crap they forgot to take care of... wow

the house was still a very good deal so that is the silver lining. just wish people would do what they say.

thanks andy that does help... first thing we will be doing is getting it serviced.

Andy D
04-30-2007, 08:06 PM
No problem, and good luck in your new home

MrHunters
04-30-2007, 08:11 PM
No problem, and good luck in your new home
thanks! we can't wait to move in.

just be glad when this part is over.

then comes the painting, stripping of wallpaper, drywall, flooring, more painting. sounds like a deal right? :rotflmao:

lets here it for mr cold and frosty. :buds:

MrHunters
05-01-2007, 04:49 AM
our agent is pushing to get the burner serviced before we close, in case there was any unforeseen damage to the burner. That would be nice so we don't inherit a problem we were not aware of.

UserRemoved1
05-01-2007, 05:08 AM
a very prudent thing to do me hunters.

We did the same and they had 2 bad valves, bad coil, electrodes that were worn to stumps, the list goes on...

The nice one for us was sitting at the kitchen table after getting the home inspection done...guy says "oh you don't have to worry about septic paper says your on town sewer" RE agent says no this is septic....hahahahahahahahaha Woman says "there's a septic system? It needs to be pumped?" 9 years no pump...new leach field...
$24,000 I would have been on the hook for. :eek:

I'd get it checked out.

MrHunters
05-01-2007, 05:45 AM
a very prudent thing to do me hunters.

We did the same and they had 2 bad valves, bad coil, electrodes that were worn to stumps, the list goes on...

The nice one for us was sitting at the kitchen table after getting the home inspection done...guy says "oh you don't have to worry about septic paper says your on town sewer" RE agent says no this is septic....hahahahahahahahaha Woman says "there's a septic system? It needs to be pumped?" 9 years no pump...new leach field...
$24,000 I would have been on the hook for. :eek:

I'd get it checked out.

f'in nightmare..

We use a company aBc for our home inspection. The guy was fantastic, pointed out every little thing.
We too have a septic system but it's only ten years old. its a three tank system for a 2 family house, overkill for the most part. Receipts show that it gets pumped every 2 years and they have never had to pump the 2nd or 3rd tank.

poo talk was very positive during the inspection :rotflmao:

Bronko
05-01-2007, 06:59 AM
closing is pushed back to the afternoon but NOT for the reasons below.

10 bags of trash
2 large ac units
4 piec o crap chairs
2 desks

all sitting in the back yard that supposedly were taken care of. :af:

oh, now, i've never owned an oil burner before so this may sound like a dumb question.

is it bad to have the oil burner on with no oil in the tank? appanently since she is in texas she left the heat on and the tank ran dry, there were a couple lights on on the burner and it was making a noise i would assume is not normal. :splat::af::splat::af::splat:

Ask the bank attorney to do a $1500 "holdback" until the seller or the selle'rs agent has the trash and debris removed from the premises. That house is to be in 'broom clean' condition as of the closing. Mention this to your closing attorney today prior to sitting down at the table.

Redsoxticket
05-01-2007, 07:07 AM
The house needs to be in "broom clean" condition according to a typical P&S, usually there is no mention of yards.
Then again a holdback should be mentioned.

MrHunters
05-01-2007, 07:12 AM
The house needs to be in "broom clean" condition according to a typical P&S, usually there is no mention of yards.
Then again a holdback should be mentioned.

so your saying the chit they took out of the house and placed in the yard is ok?

MrHunters
05-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Ask the bank attorney to do a $1500 "holdback" until the seller or the selle'rs agent has the trash and debris removed from the premises. That house is to be in 'broom clean' condition as of the closing. Mention this to your closing attorney today prior to sitting down at the table.

definetly cant hurt.
he's supposed to be calling around 9.

Redsoxticket
05-01-2007, 07:44 AM
No, it is not OK but only if you handle this situation correctly.
If the debris was in the back yard when you first viewed the property then the P&S would state "debris to be removed from back yard on or before closing" that is if you wrote up your offer accordingly.
If the debris was placed there after then you may have a case where you can say that the yard is not the same as when you first seen it. The same for the inside.

Bronko
05-01-2007, 07:46 AM
You can't have a house filled with sh*t and then move it into the yard just prior to walk through. Its the spirit of the agreement that counts. That is clearly in bad faith. Mention the 'holdback,' you are well within your rights to ask for money to be held until the debris is cleared away. I know I would allow it as the bank attorney if the owner simply moved the stuff cluttering the interior into the yard.

The holdback gives the sellers a little impetus to get the crap out of there so they can get their cash.

MrHunters
05-01-2007, 07:48 AM
gotcha... well it's definetly not the same on the outside, hopefully it will work out.

in the grand scheme of things its just trash BUT its just a pain in the arse

Bishop169
05-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Lights on near the burner probably means it locked out on flame failure . Normally a oil burner control has 15 to as much as 45sec to prove a flame if not the control will lock out on saftey. The tank being empty is more of a nusance and not really that bad for the fuel system. When you get your delivery have your oilman replace the oil filter at the tank the fuel pump strainer and the burner nozzle and you should be good to go . Hope that helps

I agree with andy but one thing have this done ASAP my last house we waited till fall to have a full service and some things went wrong was almost a month of curling up under blankets before it was fixed

Good luck and congrats

Oh and for trash through it on craigslist.org you would be surprised what things they will grab off there

Duke41
05-01-2007, 12:01 PM

I am an agent and this is exactly what I would do. Sorry about the D-bag agent, there a many out there.

fish4striper
05-01-2007, 04:00 PM
congrats and good luck

do the holdback on the trash, suspect burner, anything you think is suspect.

[QUOTE=MrHunters;488178]thanks!

then comes the painting, stripping of wallpaper, drywall, flooring, more painting.

there's no time for that, its fishing time, do it next winter!

fishpoopoo
05-01-2007, 04:12 PM
don't forget to check for dead bodies under the floorboards.

hell to get rid of the smell when the summer sets in.

Slick Moedee
05-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Welcome to home ownership. The fun just starts with the closing. Keep some antacids handy.

MrHunters
05-02-2007, 05:13 AM
heading to BJ's for the economy size right now :)

It wasn't pretty but we finally closed at 5:30 last night. (technically we won't be owners until we go on record this morning)

After calling around to 3 or 4 different places the oil company honored the old owners contract and came out to service the burner.

the trash.... well.... garbage day is today, they moved the trash off our property and to the next door neighbors for trash pickup today. talk about lazy, and im sure we have some explaining to do but its cleared out.

getting oil, changing locks, cleaning and priming are in the mix for today.

man am i glad thats over..... even the lawyer at closing was saying it is NEVER this difficult... so i guess we got the worst of the bunch with this selling agent.

our agent was on top of things all day yesterday, her day was basically shot as well... since closing was at 10 then 12 then 3 then 5:30. ooofa.

I asked about the hold back and in fact the lawyer is not releasing the funds today until all issues are resolve. so the hold back is a little more thant $1500 :) that awta work ;)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Im generally a not so grumpy guy but boy am i glad this forum was here yesterday... this was a doozy :)

taJon
05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Man what an ordeal! Just glad it worked out ok. when do we start to "remodel" :gu:

MrHunters
05-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Man what an ordeal! Just glad it worked out ok. when do we start to "remodel" :gu:

already got a call into HGTV to flip it :rotf3:

Slick Moedee
05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, each and every closing from this point forward should seem like cake. Congrats.