View Full Version : First to say it...WTF with the Bay?

Slinger
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I've been holding my tongue for a couple of weeks now, but someone has to say it," What the hell is going on in the bay?". I don`t want to hear any more It`s still early crap, it's May 13 for Gods sake. And don't tell me it`s the water temp, water at Prudence was 58* today with 60* north of Conimicut. By this time the bay should be busting with fish, and they're just not there! 5 o`clock this morning the bay was flat as a mirror when I left Bullocks Cove, from Pawtuxet to Conimicut were pogies flipping on top and not a single fish under them. Providence Point should be carpeted with silversides now and it's like a desert out there. Don' tell me there's not somthing seriously wrong! Maybe I don't have enough experience to know what I'm talking about, gee I've only been fishing 4 or 5 days a week for 40 yrs. Buzzards Bay is packed with fish, Cape Cod Bay is producing, even got fish on the North Shore. Why have they all passed by Narragansett?
Slinger

fish4striper
05-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Dunno, I can't find a fish either. Weird year for sure.... maybe I should keep going to Stellwagon Bank

B-assman
05-13-2007, 06:47 PM
I've been thinking the same thing.... I keep re-reading my logs over the last few years to make sure Im not missing something - but there are just no fish. I had a couple dinks May 1, and May 3 - but nothing since. I was sure it was going to bust wide open last week - and fished EVERY morning - Nothing! Took the kids out today for a ride - east side of prudence - again nothing going on. My daughter (6yrs old) said the water looked like "spit-up" - It was a disgusting brown with foam in strips a mile long. Gross.

Pete_G
05-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Haven't been out in a few days, but I'm going to burn some fuel and take the full tour with visits at all the honey holes tomorrow. I do know someone got into fish up to 38 inches yesterday, and lots of them until the action quieted down. They were munching squid, not bunker or herring. Parker23's nice fish a few days ago was also focused on squid.

I'm going to poke around the lower Bay a bit too, maybe some got hung up on the squid down around Npt.

Post cold front and rising pressure today probably didn't help, traditionally that hasn't led to great fishing in the spring for me. Even in the best springs that's sometimes made for tough fishing until you can find a school sitting deep on sonar and put something down on them.

I'd guess when the unsettled weather moves in this week we might see some more obvious feeding activity. But the fish are there. Parker23's is proof of that.

fish4striper
05-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah Parker found some fish, glad someone did. I fished friday before the front and figured I'd find some, but no dice. Found pogies with nothing under them, continued to other places, still nada.

Then went squidding from my boat Friday nite and I was in pack of boats and that was slow. The squidding from the bridge has been slow all week too. Oh well, nice days on the water.

RIROCKHOUND
05-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Slinger...
it's May13th!
relax... they'll be here!

fishaholic18
05-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Nope. no fish They're all dead....:gorez:

eelman
05-13-2007, 10:03 PM
There are plenty of bass in the bay, the reason they have not moved up further is the awsome squid run...no reason for those to leave a meal like that..try nosing your way further south or just give it a week ...They are out there...trust me....... They are staying with those Squid and even that squid run was a little late..give it some time and once that run dies out they will move into the whole bay ready to pounce on the Bunker that are everyplace.Every year brings different changes with it..this year is no exeption...

Notaro
05-13-2007, 11:34 PM
There are plenty of bass in the bay, the reason they have not moved up further is the awsome squid run...no reason for those to leave a meal like that..try nosing your way further south or just give it a week ...They are out there...trust me....... They are staying with those Squid and even that squid run was a little late..give it some time and once that run dies out they will move into the whole bay ready to pounce on the Bunker that are everyplace.Every year brings different changes with it..this year is no exeption...

yo #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, the squid run is pretty awesome? i guess that i can start squidding hard now? hows the squidding up there?

BasicPatrick
05-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Notaro,

Squidding on Cape Cod is WORLD CLASS right now. Reports of all the 12" plus Squid you want are on my phone every day. I went to a "local" harbor and saw 30 peeps hammering on them last night.

ronfish
05-14-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm glad the fish are feeding on something because i've fished around the pogies and only had midgets and fished around herring and had nothing not even midgets. Then tonight I tried an area that usually produces in the spring and find fish but didn't see any bait, but they were feeding good and there were some decent fish in the school.
As for sliversides I have been noticing a steady decline in their numbers in the past several years from Westport to the Sakonnet, maybe their demise is spreading westward into the Bay. From information I have gotten alot of the migratory fish haven't left the spawning grounds yet so any fish of any size have probably been here all along. Just my $.02 Ron

Raven
05-14-2007, 05:37 AM
Nature runs on it's "own" schedual......

during one period the valley grows full of trees....

then one day lightning strikes and a big fire happens

and all the trees get burned up and bushes take over the valley

followed by trees again.... then one day.....lightening strikes..

and it repeats itself....

go with the flow brother... as your out walking say....(or sing)

i'm goin with the flow.... smile, whistle and play nick nack paddy wack on your belly.... :)

UserRemoved1
05-14-2007, 06:01 AM
Raven YOU ARE ONE STRANGE DOOD

knick knack paddy whack raven smoked a bone

:rotf2:

parker23
05-14-2007, 06:25 AM
It's been a long time since I did one of those. Raven has the right idea, just chill and let Mother Nature run her course.

I love the smell of Mary Jane in the morning, smells like... victory!

Sorry for the off-subject rant, I had a flashback...

This has been a weird season. Every year brings change in some way. Our collective fishing logs go back maybe 50 years. The fish have been following their calendar since like...the begining.

Maybe it's the Age of Aquarius!

UpChunk
05-14-2007, 06:55 AM
I really doubt that the water temperature off of Prudence is hovering round 58-60 degrees!, the air temp hasnt even gotten that warm yet,lol. Frost this am west of here inland. and down deep off the island in the bay the water is probably colder still, I suspect your temp gauge is busted.
I went fri nite to a local newport spotthat was reported to have a lot of action with stripes, alot of fog, seaweed and ONE swirl, that was all.maybe next time, then sat went out in wicked town, to the brakwater at high tide, NOTHING. ill be patient, as time goes by, I just get older, tee hee.

bart
05-14-2007, 06:58 AM
i fished the lower bay this morning for nada. it was absolutely disgusting where i went first tho, massive clumps of what looked like s hit and reaked of raw sewage = :sick:

UpChunk
05-14-2007, 07:00 AM
As I was saying , water temps are still cold ,http://neap.pactide.noaa.gov/hq/ports_screens/nbscreen.shtml

UpChunk
05-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Hey Bart, i guess we cant blame the boaters then, as there none around.!

B-assman
05-14-2007, 07:34 AM

I Owe you a cold one - Took your advice - headed south this morning and pretended I was a squid. Got into fish immediately and ended up with 3 decent fish - 27, 28, 29" - cookie cutter fish but it was nice to be back in the game.

StriperSniper
05-14-2007, 10:02 AM
5 o`clock this morning the bay was flat as a mirror when I left Bullocks Cove, from Pawtuxet to Conimicut were pogies flipping on top and not a single fish under them.
SlingerYou may want to fish a little closer to your launch site,i've been doing amazingly well from shore in that area.

Clammer
05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
YEEZ >>>>>>>>. #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&

seems I heard those exact same words ...two weeks ago >>>>>>>>>>.. when you were in a panic >>>>>> Oh now I remember it was me that told you the reason why & where //Whats the big long f $#%^&*( word //when someone else uses what was said or written by someone else >>> without asking permission or giving credit ><><><<>:behead:

P-23

M/J in the morning >>>>> makes the day seems fine >> but the munchies all f #$%^&*( day become expensive :lurk:

Pete F.
05-14-2007, 12:13 PM

seems I heard those exact same words ...two weeks ago >>>>>>>>>>.. when you were in a panic >>>>>> Oh now I remember it was me that told you the reason why & where //Whats the big long f $#%^&*( word //when someone else uses what was said or written by someone else >>> without asking permission or giving credit ><><><<>:behead:

P-23

M/J in the morning >>>>> makes the day seems fine >> but the munchies all f #$%^&*( day become expensive :lurk:
I think it is plagerized or something

Pete_G
05-14-2007, 12:52 PM
The Bay is on fire. Not much else to say really. If you're chasing or waiting for birds, put the nocs down and take a look at the fish finder. We had to hunt around but once we found em it was constant until the tide went slack. Bass to 18 pounds this AM, at least 3 dozen fish between 2 guys. Regular doubles and when I joined in triples. 26 to 36 inches. 9" Tsunami shad.

Never saw a squid, bunker, or herring at any point. Fish never had birds on them. Until around 11am, when part of the Bay went nuts. Half the Bay had birds in the air with fish under them chasing small bait about 2 inches long.

Saw surface temps before the sun came up above 56 degrees as well. Near 60 by 11am.

Back Beach
05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
i fished the lower bay this morning for nada. it was absolutely disgusting where i went first tho, massive clumps of what looked like s hit and reaked of raw sewage = :sick:

I've always said you had sh t luck...:rolleyes:

That will all change tomorrow.:devil:

MakoMike
05-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I had reports of a full blown blitz at Conimicut last Saruday and Billy Silvia had 30+ fish to 35 inches off Prudence on Sunday. what more do you guys want? :)

bart
05-14-2007, 01:42 PM
I've always said you had sh t luck...:rolleyes:

That will all change tomorrow.:devil:

i'm feeling lucky :uhuh:

Pete_G
05-14-2007, 01:46 PM
This happened, too:

:wall:

Notaro
05-14-2007, 02:29 PM
This happened, too:

:wall:

oh baby, come to papa1 now they re heading up to the cape...:vamp:

basswipe
05-14-2007, 04:03 PM
I really haven't even bothered with the bay as the opposite side has been hot.They're keyed in on herring for the most part with few fish on squid.9" storms have done the trick.Have had a few looks at squid patterned plugs but no takers.Gonna be a good night tonight with the good wind and wave action.

eelman
05-14-2007, 06:08 PM

P-23

BIg deal ahole, ya, you said the squid were holding them up?? oh sorry I did not metion that so F`U And your credit...by the way you did not put me on any fish....someone else did....sick of your crap following my posts around busting my chops.....So for you...thanks for saying that the squid held the bass up...feel better now??? FU..

JFigliuolo
05-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Damn lovers spat...

piemma
05-14-2007, 06:36 PM
The fish are still in the lower Bay. I had fish yesterday morning . They were busting squid that, in 27 feet of water, were 5 to 8 feet thick. No lie!! I was marking solid masses of squid for about a mile and 1/2. I agree there is little to talk about North of Hope Island and I think it's because of the squid. I saw bunker breaking all over the water at my marina yesterday morning about 4:00 AM......with no Bass under them. They'll be here.

Clammer
05-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I guess I have to get a dozen roses ><><><:lm:

eelman
05-14-2007, 08:06 PM

No but a dozen bunker will do:buds:

Clammer
05-14-2007, 10:43 PM
take two M-80,s & call me in the morning ><>><><:uhuh:

Pt.JudeJoe
05-14-2007, 11:00 PM
good to see the lads happy and trading barbs agin,the fish are back!!:jump1:

fishaholic18
05-15-2007, 06:58 AM

Ya better get me a boat load..:rotf2:

http://dune.servint.com/uploads/ob_makingeyes01.gif

Can't we all just get along?http://photobucket.com/albums/v480/ashlynmm/smileys2/th_bloww.gif

Clammer
05-15-2007, 08:46 AM
your the one that said 18 >>. was enough >>> going back to bed //later

fishaholic18
05-15-2007, 08:56 AM
your the one that said 18 >>. was enough >>> going back to bed //later
Yup..Get up..Sh$t to do...I'll call ya after PT...

Raven
05-15-2007, 09:09 AM
:lurk: bloop....

what puff said...

or was it the church mouse...

....:drool: