View Full Version : With all this squid talk

MrHunters
05-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I got to thinking... That in itself is dangerous. At any rate ,I've never been squid fishing before and there is a reason for that. From what I read, it seems they stopped coming up to the north shore about 10-12 years ago but before then they were getting them in the buckets full.

Some blame pollution others don't have any real good reason. So does anyone have any ideas??? Is there any hope that they might be back one day?

OR is all this info i just found false and they still get em up this way, around cape ann?

Rockport24
05-14-2007, 01:29 PM
good question, I am interested as well.

niko
05-14-2007, 01:41 PM
last year i caught a bunch at a local pier. it wasn't by the bucketful but i made bait quick enough. my local lobstermen tell me when they're around.

macojoe
05-14-2007, 02:14 PM
I get pleanty here on the Cape! :jump1: Buckets full!!

nightfighter
05-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Saw them locally (Eagle Island)for the first time just last June.... It was an overnight tourney and the owner decided to see if he could attract bait with them fancy lights mounted below the waterline aft... Squid came screaming in within five minutes.

ShipWrecked
05-14-2007, 06:35 PM
If you want a bucket full you should try Newport. This was my first season squid fishing and it was blast.

RIJIMMY
05-14-2007, 07:03 PM
kind of funny, last year it was bunker mania, this year squid....

spinncognito
05-15-2007, 07:41 AM
I have only seen them once up here many years ago but last year there were some reports of squid in Beverly and Salem. This could be the year that because of the numbers to the south that we get a taste of them!

The Dad Fisherman
05-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Lets hope so.....I could go for some nice fresh calamari :drool:

RIROCKHOUND
05-15-2007, 08:21 AM
uh oh..
time to ban the fish traps from taking any squid...

piemma
05-15-2007, 03:01 PM
I agree!
The guys taking squid by the bucket full are ruining the Bass fishing. What, oh what, will the bass eat now that the squid are being disseminated by greedy calamari fishermen. The squid stocks are in big trouble! Next thing you know those mean hearted boat guys from NJ will be up here catching our squid. Some RI politician should sponsor a bill to ban the taking of squid.:hidin:

Mr. Sandman
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
You guys are killing me....the squidding here sucks so far. I have not caught one yet. Last year I had a seasons worth of bait in 3 nights. Soon I hope but it looks bad. If they don't show here soon, I will have to resort to buy a tote load from a dragger. ugh.