View Full Version : Surfcasting on a budget

tattoobob
05-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Lets come up with some ideas to save money,
Like what DZ Did with the shampoo bottles to store lures.
any one have any ideas to save money now that gas is to
much money

lurch
05-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Use rubber shad baits as they are cheap and dont waste your money on expensive plugs.

Diggin Jiggin
05-15-2007, 07:51 PM
For a lot of years, the only thing in my bag was bombers in black, pearl white and yellow...

Slipknot
05-15-2007, 07:52 PM
pitch a tent by the water

RIROCKHOUND
05-15-2007, 08:08 PM
catch your own bait and chunk!

labrax
05-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I just bought a 12.5' aluminum boat so I can justify owning a big SUV to tow it with, figure I'll save some $ by fishing local bass ponds when gas rises to over $4 a gallon.

Probably seeing if anyone else wanted to share a ride and split gas would save some cash for those of us that need to commute to fish.

I might even take the wife's Maxima - which gets about 6-7 more mpg.

Just saw that the gas commodity traders saw a government forcast showed an even greater imbalance in the gasoline stocks, so they went on a buying spree and the price has gone up again.

Joe
05-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Sell the beast and outfit a Prius with a rod rack.

Backbeach Jake
05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Back in the day, when catching meant dinner and a skunk meant no dinner, I bait fished, Worms were dug on the low tide and fished at the next high. Very effective, closest to a sure thing you'll ever see. If not worms, then clams. Also, very effective. Worms seem to be stripers,flounder and cods comfort food, and that bait seems to filter out blues.In fact, I've only seen two blues caught on worms in 40 years of fishing. My equiptment consisted of a clam rake, a sandeel rake, a Berkley honey colored rod and a Mitchell reel that compares to a 704 today. I can't remember the Michell model # but I still have it. I used mono, 20# Ande and tied my own rigs. My clam permit was my biggest expense. I did WAY better then then I do now with all this hi-tech bs.

JohnR
05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Car pool and arrange fishing parters - hmmm, should we have something here like Match Dot Com? Have people submit their video & profiles and we'll have Raven jam the info into his Farmer's Almanac computer and spit out compatibilities?

Raider Ronnie
05-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking about having a sail mast added to my boat to cut fuel cost with my boat !

RIJIMMY
05-15-2007, 09:34 PM
freeze you unused eels, rig em and use again and again and again.......

RIROCKHOUND
05-16-2007, 07:23 AM
RIJ:
that only works until you have a couple of doz rigged and a few doz more unrigged. then you must be forced to choose... throw some out or sleep on the couch...
damn my neck is all crinked today :D

Seriously though Bob, it is the cheapest way to fish: start in May, catch a sh-t load of squid, freeze them. chunk squid till June, buy or snag/net a tote of pogies, freeze them, chunk till whenever, and throw eels when you feel ambitious or $...

'course my broke ass just buys eels and forgos a few beers or coffee every week!

fishaholic18
05-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Repower your boat with a 4 stroke.

wheresmy50
05-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Make your own coffee and lunches
Keep two or three rods and sell the rest.
Fish longer and make fewer trips.
Don't use braid.
Superestrike

Rockport24
05-16-2007, 09:15 AM
yes, keep the gear simple and minimalist, try and learn spots closer to home so you don't have to drive as far, make your own coffee and lay off the dunks and this may be VERY controversial, but keep a keeper now and again if you eat fish and save yourself money at the market, might as well make all this time on the water work for you.

HighTide
05-16-2007, 09:17 AM
bought a kayak

VTRI
05-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Park your boat and pick up your surf rod

luds
05-16-2007, 10:12 AM
buy all your stuff from M&D's.

JFigliuolo
05-16-2007, 10:18 AM
... VERY controversial, but keep a keeper now and again if you eat fish and save yourself money at the market, might as well make all this time on the water work for you.

Controversial to who? makes perfect sense to me. Even if you think killing a stirper is tatamount to murder... Think about all the by-catch that is slaughtered when you buy fish at the store.

Jimbo
05-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Excellent thread, I need this because I usually make 6-8 trips up to the family digs on the Cape during the summer. I guess maybe fewer trips, but stay longer. I like the break in the trip, but with gas surcharges maybe pass on taking the Orient Point-New London ferry. Holding quasi-garage sale to get rid of some edgers and weed whackers, etc., I just don't use (actually I do it the old fashioned way, with non-gas equipment). Someone else said save some money at the supermarket by keeping some of what you catch, to eat. That hold true for having a garden as well. For the past few years in addition to my small plot at home my work has allowed a few of us to plant a garden near our building. I also definitely don't care what other people think and have no qualms about picking other people's garbage and any dumpster that looks interesting, too.

Skitterpop
05-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Back in the day, when catching meant dinner and a skunk meant no dinner, I bait fished, Worms were dug on the low tide and fished at the next high. Very effective, closest to a sure thing you'll ever see. If not worms, then clams. Also, very effective. Worms seem to be stripers,flounder and cods comfort food, and that bait seems to filter out blues.In fact, I've only seen two blues caught on worms in 40 years of fishing. My equiptment consisted of a clam rake, a sandeel rake, a Berkley honey colored rod and a Mitchell reel that compares to a 704 today. I can't remember the Michell model # but I still have it. I used mono, 20# Ande and tied my own rigs. My clam permit was my biggest expense.***** I did WAY better then then I do now with all this hi-tech bs.******

hahahahahahah love that line... so true at times Fred :uhuh:

chris L
05-16-2007, 10:35 AM
stop driving so far for fish . try local waters I hear there are fish . no more plugs to be bought .

FishermanTim
05-16-2007, 10:44 AM
you could always fish locally, and skip any "road trips".
For me, that would mean fewer trips down to the canal, and fewer $$$ being spent there.
Don't be surprised if the rise in the price of gas this year REALLY effects the travel/tourism during the summer.
I know I won't be making as many trips because of the gas crunch.
My only relief would be if my brother wants to drive his Chevy Metro down a few times. That 3 cylinder engine sips gas compared to any other vehicle.

You could also make your own lures, either wood or possibly plastic, but that's for only the most fanatical.

Swimmer
05-16-2007, 10:45 AM
no more plugs to be bought .

Hey watch it, no more plugs to be bought, the very thought.:yak5:

Salty
05-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Stay home and watch fishing show's on the tube.:lurk:

Rockport24
05-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Controversial to who? makes perfect sense to me. Even if you think killing a stirper is tatamount to murder... Think about all the by-catch that is slaughtered when you buy fish at the store.

I guess I was just trying to be sensitive to the catch and release only crowd. Great point though about the bycatch.

JLH
05-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Great thread.

I have been saving for fishing expenses since the end of last season. Its 180 miles round trip for me to drive to the shore and back, I make the drive just about every weekend and sometimes during the week from May through November… When I take out the boat I have to trailer it from Westerly to Barn Island, plus the gas for the boat!! Yikes it’s going to be an expensive season!!

I’ll probably try to partner up more for boat trips instead of flying solo, will also most likely be using the boat less this season and making more trips from shore or in the kayak.

Toying with the idea of selling the boat downsizing both to something more fuel efficient.

Flaptail
05-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Sell your VanStal's first, they are way over priced and way way overated and secondly it will also help the budding surfcasting avoid a phobia about being inadequately outfitted to catch striped bass when all they can afford is a Penn Silverado and Ugly Stick rod which btw will catch anybass that swims in the Atlantic.
(I actually own and like my 32.00 Penn Silverado 5000!:uhuh: )

Next unload your 21 foot boat and buy a 14 to 16 foot aluminum skiff with a 20 hp motor (4 strokes use a touch less gas but are more expensive to buy and repair) 2 stroke. Hey, who complains about fishing for two days on 6.2 gallons of gas?

Loss the Hemi truck or Hummer or F350 and buy a Beater 6 cylinder jeep, go with one other guy and split the gas and stickers. No need for a new ride in the dand and salt it's gonna eat your dough and the beach will eat the truck.

Fish locally! No need to drive 200 miles and sit in traffic if there are fish to be had in your backyard. I live in Falmouth which has more coastline than any other town on the Cape and there are inlets, beaches, jetties and bays all over. If you live inland than plan to carpool and split the expenses.

Recycle all your old plugs. Plastic and most wood don't go bad. If they are beat, restore them. It will give you something to do over the winter and aid in your personal creative outlet and expression!
( Building your own is not the cheapest way to go, the intial investment is a killer and your time has to be added in what it is worth in dollars, it's fun b ut man it is an exopensive hobby if you really get into it)

Re-introduce yourself to the idea that fishing, anykind of fishing, is supposed to be fun first and foremost. That will alone save you big bucks and therapist costs.

djfishes
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
i bought an 85 vanagoon for 500 just for fishing fits 6 and 10 poles

Shake N' Bake
05-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Stay home and watch fishing show's on the tube.:lurk:

Salty might be onto something. You can keep your gear right next to you since the lady isn't watching your fishing show.
During commercials you could hook the cat, dog or the kid. Good fight for sure, use unbarbed so you can cast quicker.

Seriously, I have purchased decent used rods at yard sales.
I also switch it up between fresh water and salt. I can bike to fresh water...truth be told though. Pickeral and small mouth from a bridge can get boring so I jump in the Hemi and head to Hampton for the day. I Love It!!!

tattoobob
05-16-2007, 06:48 PM
I will be going back to my roots and will be doing LMB fishing
I already cancelled my BI trip, maybe in the fall things will be
different funds wise. I don't think I will ever sell my VS reels
that's just silly

Fred I have caught a blue fish on a sea worm, great fight it
was my first blue fish ever

eastendlu
05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm adding some rocket launchers and a cooler rack to my Honda Civic.

Bazza
05-16-2007, 07:37 PM
On some trips I take my wife's Camery instead of the truck. I just got a Kayak, that should help with one spot to launch, instead of driving around to various beaches and inlets.

johnny ducketts
05-16-2007, 07:42 PM
ho some plugs, that'll keep the cost down :)

Notaro
05-16-2007, 07:58 PM
stop driving so far for fish . try local waters I hear there are fish . no more plugs to be bought .

umm, that won't stop me for my case...:devil2: i will be catching bluefishs and feeding them to my dad's restaurant workers and i will make a trip down to the cape probably 3-4 times a week, but in this case, i wont be doing that much because of the summer shcool. as for plugs, im tempted to buy a new one or two.

JFigliuolo
05-17-2007, 07:11 AM
By a econobox/beater. unless you NEED a truck for work, It is uneeded for fishing. I fish out of a 91 Honda CRX (NOT CRV). It's tiny, it's uncomfortable, it smells, The drivers side window won't go down and the AC is busted. I use it to get to work and fishing. The money I save on gas is WELL worth any inconvience.

chris L
05-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Hey watch it, no more plugs to be bought, the very thought.:yak5:

I know I know . I may have broken a finger writting that .

fishpoopoo
05-17-2007, 11:30 AM
-spread your legs/bend over for gas money

-peddle crack/meth on the street corner

-pose for a german scheisse-eating pictorial

-powerball tickets

ThrowingTimber
05-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Well maintained 4cyl truck :lm:

quitting smoking helps (figure thats 2 gallons of gas a day) and not really drinking much during fishing season also helps :jump: Aside from work fishings the only thing I really do....

GeoffT
05-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't think I will ever sell my VS reels
that's just silly

Wholeheartedly agree! It's almost laughable, even. No way are they overrated for the kind of surf-fishing we do. Besides if they are so overrated why they do hold their resale value so well?

fishpoopoo
05-17-2007, 12:58 PM
i wonder how many van staals will be flooding the market when gasoline hits $6/gallon?

Flaptail
05-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Wholeheartedly agree! It's almost laughable, even. No way are they overrated for the kind of surf-fishing we do. Besides if they are so overrated why they do hold their resale value so well?

Because there a sucker born every minute! :doh:

Notaro
05-17-2007, 02:09 PM

so true:hihi:

Mike P
05-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Buy a house 5 minutes from the Canal, and ride your bike to and from ;)

Sell off the expensive reels. Rehab the old Spinfishers and the original (single zero) SS, or that old Daiwa Silver or BG. If you're a conventional man, dig out the old Squidders, or the original all-black or P-series Newell, or the old red Ambassadeur, that've been gathering dust in the basement.

Plastic plugs--especially Superstrikes and vintage Bob Pond Atoms--still catch. So do Bombers and Redfins.

Jigs catch. But for the price of one "canal special" style jig, you can buy 4 plain leadheads and a 4 pack of Riptide Mullets at Wally World and have 4 productive lures for the price of one. At the end of the night, after you leave 4 jigs stuck to the bottom, you're only out the $5 for the 4 makeshift jigs rather than the $20 for 4 Canal specials.

Superglue works as well as Zap-a-Gap. All cyanoacrylic glues are water soluable no matter what they try to claim. All will eventually let go from the head of a soft plastic.

Expensive reel lubes like Rocket Fuel, Hot Sauce and the new Penn synthetic don't work any better than a $2 can of 3 in 1 oil from Bennys--and the 3 in 1 will stay in the bearings longer. Ron Arra won 4 US casting titles using 3 in 1.

GeoffT
05-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Can't complain about that one either! :D

Joe
05-17-2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05027b.jpg
Stop fishing, buy a web lawn chair, and sit in front of your house picking your nose - I see lots of old guys doing it....

Rockport24
05-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Superglue works as well as Zap-a-Gap. All cyanoacrylic glues are water soluable no matter what they try to claim. All will eventually let go from the head of a soft plastic.

Is this true???????????
I've been using superglue all along, but won't zap a gap last longer?
My sluggos with superglue only last like one night in the water before I need to re-glue em'.

JFigliuolo
05-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Is this true???????????
I've been using superglue all along, but won't zap a gap last longer?
My sluggos with superglue only last like one night in the water before I need to re-glue em'.

If mine don't get destroyed SG lasts quite a while... like weeks

Striperknight
05-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Rinse everything... all plugs,reel,rods waders, and plugs after every fishing trip.

Notaro
05-17-2007, 09:53 PM
aha, there best way to be on a budget is not to be attached to your lover or family. u dont need to spend a dime to woo her everytime u are with her or him.>:D

Shake N' Bake
05-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Really Guys...All of us Love Fishing. We love it so much that when there isn't a line in the water we put a line on our Forum.
I am an RVer. Talk about gas. I am towing a 5th wheel with a already not so great on mpg Hemi. Does it stop me from camping? No. Are high gas prices going to stop me from replacing my yard sale rod I bought 2 years ago? No, not for a second.
High gas prices are going to stop me from updating my computer system, updating our HDTV, replacing the patio set and going out to dinner once or twice a week with my Wife. All these things and more are ways I am going to save $$.
I work hard and I, like all of you have their "pleasures". I Love fishing, hunting and camping. I am not about to starve my pleasures so I can fill my tank.
Let Dell, Best Buy, Lowe's, and the local Steak House figure out how they decide to cut/save like I have too.
I know this thread is about saving idea's and some are serious and some are funny and I do like many of the idea's and I am going to act on some myself, But I am also getting that New Rod.

Happy Fishing.

Bishop169
05-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I agree with shake N bake I picked up a pop-up camper for this summer (I in no way need anything larger) but camping out at your favorite spot or close to it is way cheaper then tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g back and fourth.. Plus you get the bonus of eating your keepers that night

zimmy
05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I don't think I will ever sell my VS reels
that's just silly

Yeah, I don't think losing a couple hundred bucks each in depreciation is worth it, but if you want... I'd give you $100 each :) You could buy 3 of those other reels for each one and be set.

Fish close to home, go with a buddy, buy used beat plugs and revive them. Cancel your cable, cell phone and internet and use the extra 150 bucks a month for fishing.

chuckg
05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Sell rods and reels??? What heresy is this?

RNC
05-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Stay home and be on this site all day and look at others posting pictures of fish while you day dream catching and also playing with your VS reel pretending you hooked a big one. Nevermind that's what I do at work