View Full Version : sabiki rigs

Mr. Kav
08-02-2002, 07:34 AM
does anyone have any suggestions on storing those tiny hooked daisy chain rigs. i have been ending up with a tangled mess and thought you people might have some ideas how to store them neatly when not being used.

JohnR
08-02-2002, 07:39 AM
Use one of those spools that leader material comes on (once the leader is gone) and put notches in the plastic to hold the hooks. If you get really good, you'll easily hold 2 sabiki rigs, one on each side of the spool...

jeffsod
08-02-2002, 07:42 AM
I use clear plastic mailer tubes with vinyl caps on both ends to store mine. I bought them from Kay up at Surfland Plum Island but I know they are available as mail tubes from other sources. If you want to try something similar you can get a clear tube at home depot which goes around a flourescent light tube to protect them from shattering. I am just not sure what to use for caps. I think some come with black plastic caps but not as nice as the vinyl. These tubes are slightly narrower than the mailer tubes I use. I just stuff the sabiki rig the tube so the swival is at one end. Anyway, seems to work ok for me. Just one idea.

Van
08-02-2002, 07:45 AM
Good question!
Good answear!

I usually stuff them into a small bag and lubricate the line with blood from my fingers!!! Those tiny hooks are SHARP..:mad:
There is usally a bird nest of line when I try to get them out again.

I think my hands have magnetic properties for sabiki hooks.
V

Mr. Kav
08-02-2002, 08:22 AM
hahaha, Van i know to well what you mean. i was out at b-bouy last year and got 8 mackeral in the live well and i ended up with 7 tiny sharp hooks in my hands when all was done.
thanks for the ideas guys

Slipknot
08-02-2002, 08:40 AM
When I went to Florida this past spring we used a rod that was designed specifically for sabiki rigs. I suggest you get one if you use them frequently. It is a hollow rod fairly wide in diameter and the rig gets reeled right into the tube and as a plus keeps it from rusting up on you so they can be reused over again. I don't know the name of it but maybe some website from a tackle shop down south may have them.

Mr. Sandman
08-02-2002, 08:45 AM
what do you fish for with these things? macks?

Mr. Kav
08-02-2002, 08:57 AM
yes they are great for jigging and trolling up bait fish.

saltydawg
08-02-2002, 09:15 AM
Try using aluminum foil. Carefully coil the rig and lay it on a doubled sheet of foil. While holding one side of the coil with one hand, fold the foil over and carefully push down. Fold other side over and fold the ends down. May not protect you completely from the hooks, but should keep the rig from getting all tangled. I use this for pre-rigged leader setups and it works fine.

jeffsod
08-02-2002, 09:49 AM
what do you fish for with these things

Macks, Scup, Snapper Blues...

Moose Nuckle
08-02-2002, 04:02 PM
:jump:

The Sabiki Rod is very cool. You can find one at The Sportsmen Den in Quincy. When you reel in the line and the Sabiki rig it goes inside of the hollow part of the rod. Just add a reel and your all set.

" You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it a duck."

"FreddyBoomBartz"

ragfly
08-03-2002, 11:38 AM
I use a piece of oval foam and wrap the rig around sticking the hooks into the foam as I go, then I put it into a zip lock bag. When your ready to use it just unwrap it the opposite you put it on..... an untangled and ready to go rig.

BigBo
08-03-2002, 08:39 PM
I picked up a gadget at a tackle shop somewhere (can't remember where right now) that works great. It's a small plastic tube design for wrapping snelled hooks around. It's about 8-10" long, 1" diameter, has small loop holes for the point of your hook along the length of it, and is covered with Velcro. So, you hook the point of the last hook into a loop hole, then wrap the rest of the rig around the tube. At the end, you hold it down with a small piece of mating Velcro. Really tames the little buggers.

bloocrab
08-04-2002, 10:44 PM
...you mean you guys don't wrap them neatly back in their original packages???....:eek: